Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

2016 Expedition EB and Windjammer 3006WK

Hello All!

We are looking at both the 2016 Expedition with Ecoboost 3.6L, max tow package with 3.73 gears providing max tow capability of 9200lbs and pairing it with a Windjammer 3006WK.

I've seen others with older expeditions pulling similar length/weight trailers as well those with F150 and similar length/weights but curious what you experts have to say about this setup. We live in Denver, CO so will occasionally hit the mountains.

We love the floor plan of the 3006WK with front bunks for the kids and have yet to find a similar floor plan out there.

Thanks for any and all thoughts and suggestions!
cfendya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #2

We have a V-Lite around the same weight,we Tow with a 3/4 4 door truck,I have Never ask what I need to ADD to it for our RV travels! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Welcome, lots of these questions lately guess that means we are getting close to the camping season, which is good!

I'm sure you will soon have 11 pages of opinions, but in the end it is up to you... With that said, Google says the trailer has a tongue weight of 1000lbs. That is nothing at all in the trailer (no water propane food stuff...). Trailer is listed at 7500 empty, same thing as above. Assuming that the weight will be correct, many have been told the trailer weighted 1000 and when it showed up it weighted 1500 or in extreme cases 2000 for example. Now figure even packing light between food, and stuff you'll probably have easily 750 to 1000 lbs of stuff. That seems high but you will be shocked how fast things add up. So figure that makes you tongue weight 1200lbs (prob on the lower side could be a bit more) figuring 10 to 15% is the typical tongue weight of the total trailer weight.

Now that you have that you need to look at the tow vehicle's yellow sticker on the door and find the cargo carrying capacity. The max tow rating really does not mean much for this instance. The sticker number varies from same model vehicle to the same model, it will change depending on options so you cannot go by the Ford Wed page.

This tells you how much stuff you can have in the vehicle. This includes people, pets cargo in the car and the trailer tongue weight... There is also a sticker that gives axle max loads, you can check it to make sure the tongue weigh does not overload things, but with WD and all that would be probably unlikely unless you were using a crv to tow this thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #4

Look at GVWR and hitch weight

Cfendya, look at several weight ratings before choosing. I agree with doc73 100% on the manufacturer's hitch weight ratings. The hitch weight on my 3001W was listed as 880#, when it was actually 1,074# when we weighed it on the way home from the dealer. I would wager that with kids (you have a bunk house trailer) in the front of the unit you will really need to keep an eye on how much weight is added at the front of the TT. I'll bet we added 1200-1600# to our total weight when ready to camp, plus whatever weight you have in the Tow Vehicle counts also toward GVWR. We pull with a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.3 ltr. and tow package; the power is just fine, but we are just under our Gross Vehicle Weight Rating by only 500-600#. We have pulled it about 10,000 miles so I know it is fine; it isn't the power you need to watch, it is GVWR, axle load ratings, and hitch weight. Get a 3/4 ton if you can to pull the Windjammer, diesel if possible but most gas engines will be fine; it will be the right choice in the end.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We have a V-Lite around the same weight,we Tow with a 3/4 4 door truck,I have Never ask what I need to ADD to it for our RV travels! Youroo!!
X 2 later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

I towed a 7500lbs (total weight) trailer with my 1500 for quite a many miles. It did it OKbut I was never really happy with it. Never could pass a gas station.. But I would not want to be towing the 3006 at all with my old setup. I cannot remember what my CCC was but my guess it it will be well over. I would have been under my Max tow weight, but not the legal axle weights. My truck was rated to tow 11,500.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #7

Wow! Thanks for all the input already. It sounds like it's going to be too much weight for the Expedition. I'm still a bit confused on how they figure tongue weight and from the web there is conflicting info as to what the tongue weight of the 3006WK is (I've seen anywhere from upper 800's to upper 900's).

Ford's website shows a max hitch weight of 920 so again, it sounds like the 3006WK is a bit much for it.
cfendya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

tongue weight (TW) is going to be what it is.. Depending on where they put something on the trailer and how it relates to the wheels will add or takeaway from the TW. That same holds true for what you add to the trailer as well. If it is in front of the axle and towards the TV it will increase the TW, if it is behind the axles it will lighten.

You would think the same trailer would be the same as the one off the line before it.. But the way they build theses things a few things moved here or there start to add up.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Short wheel base is bad

I have a Rockwood 3008W that I attempted to tow with a Tahoe. This was a bad decision resulting in a constant white knuckle experience. Regardless what the specs say that your vehicle can tow, it has two things preventing it from being a good experience. 1. It has a short wheelbase. 2. It will have P tires, rather than LT.

The combination of short wheelbase and soft sidewall tires will certainly result in very squirrely handling. On a windy day, with a properly sized and setup hitch, it was everything I could do to stay within 3 lanes on the interstate, let alone my own lane. After one trip, I traded for a 3/4 ton crew cab pickup, and the change in towing stability was amazing.

You can remedy the tire situation by putting on some load range E LT tires, although your ride will then be much harsher, but there is nothing you can do to fix the short wheel base stability issues. At minimum, if you're convinced an Expedition is the one you have to have, go with the XL version so you get a longer wheelbase. The difference will help a lot.

I've scaled my trailer many times. My total trailer weight is 9780 loaded and ready to go. The weight on the axles is 8780 with 1000 on the tongue. My trailer would be right at, or over your rated towing capacity. Even if it weren't for the poor handling of the short wheelbase vehicle, I would be uncomfortable operating so close to the max rating.

Furthermore, your engine will strain going up hills, and your fuel economy will be very poor. Mine averaged 7mpg.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #10

I'm fairly aggressive, in that I don't have a problem taking things to the limits. But I think you would actually be over several limits:

Max tow rating (9200): Dry weight is 7500. On a trailer this size, loaded weight will easily be 1000lbs or more over dry, which is 8500. That leaves only 700 lbs for people and stuff in the SUV. And that has not checked the TW/payload question yet. 8500 * 0.13 = 1105 lbs. That's a lot of TW, plus the weight of WDH. As others have said, with an SUV (lots of extra steel in the back, compared to the pickup version), you likely will run out of payload/rear GAWR before you run out of tow capacity. IMO, you would be over all of these.

Looks like you only have 2 kids, based on the single set of bunks in that trailer. Why not get an F150 EB with the max tow package? I think you get significantly more tow capacity, and the base weight of the vehicle is such that you get a lot more payload/rear GAWR (you don't have all that extra sheet metal in the rear). Plenty of room for a family of 4 in a crew cab.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windjammer