Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 147
This coming from a service director of 2 different Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealerships, I see a handful of 6.4 2500 trucks from time to time a lot of 6.7 Cummins trucks. I am fortunate enough to be in a situation to buy what I want (mainly due to E.P. purchase price), and I drive a 15' 2500 Laramie 4wd w/a Cummins. Our Puma Unleashed 351THSS is really light for a 5th wheel and the Cummins handles the load really well but I wouldn't think of trying to do it with a 392 gas truck. The 392 was a grossly under engineered project IMO that is OK IF you are wanting a HD truck just because you want a HD truck and don't plan on doing anything with it. EVER. The 392 is in a strain just moving the weight of the truck much less pulling a 5th wheel with it. Yes, you get a 5/60 powertrain warranty, but what good is it if it's always in the shop with valvetrain issues? I forsee a ton of bent pushrods due to the towing capacity of the truck vs what it really should be used for.


Long story short, IF you are going to commit to a HD truck, get all in or stay out of the game. I am NOT trying to offend anyone here, but don't want to see anyone here make a decision and then get hung out to dry when they realize its the wrong decision. The re-sale value on a 392 2500 truck is going to have to be so bad that it WILL make the record books! GM is the only company I know of that has built tons of gas powered HD trucks, sold them, and kept the re-sale book value half way decent. Ram WILL get there someday, but IMO its too early for that to happen.


I sincerely hope I am helping you make a good decision.
Gil


ps-silly season for buying HD trucks starts next month! I ALWAYS trade every November for a very good reason. $$$ lol Find the truck you really want, call several dealers until someone whips out a invoice to let you see, then offer them a really fast and easy 1000.00 profit. Someone WILL take your 1000.00 profit and be damn glad to do it.
__________________

__________________
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #52
Member
 
lynn brownlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 96
Agree
__________________

__________________
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
So you are over your gvwr.


2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK

Quick to jump on the gvwr bandwagon


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #54
MCTroy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Troy.Ohio
Posts: 504
I agree the new diesel trucks are much quieter than their older versions. And I am sure inside you don't hear the engine any more than a gas one. We just spent a week camping where a variety of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks were parked around us. You knew when the diesels started every morning. Still louder when they are idling getting hooked up. Maybe it is some of the owners that just leave them running to warm up that is the problem and not the trucks.
__________________
2015 Windjammer 3029 Diamond Edition
2011 Ram 5.7 hemi
Ohio River Rat
Hurry Spring 2018! We have plans ready!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
OntarioFireFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post
This coming from a service director of 2 different Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealerships, I see a handful of 6.4 2500 trucks from time to time a lot of 6.7 Cummins trucks. I am fortunate enough to be in a situation to buy what I want (mainly due to E.P. purchase price), and I drive a 15' 2500 Laramie 4wd w/a Cummins. Our Puma Unleashed 351THSS is really light for a 5th wheel and the Cummins handles the load really well but I wouldn't think of trying to do it with a 392 gas truck. The 392 was a grossly under engineered project IMO that is OK IF you are wanting a HD truck just because you want a HD truck and don't plan on doing anything with it. EVER. The 392 is in a strain just moving the weight of the truck much less pulling a 5th wheel with it. Yes, you get a 5/60 powertrain warranty, but what good is it if it's always in the shop with valvetrain issues? I forsee a ton of bent pushrods due to the towing capacity of the truck vs what it really should be used for..
Thanks - this is the kind of info I really need...

I don't have much experience with Dodge (as mentioned, I'm a Ford guy, generally) - hearing the 6.4 isn't a strong plant; well, that's good to know!
__________________
2014 Grey Wolf 28BH, behind a 2015 F350 Diesel Crew Cab

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #56
Georgia Frog Rally 2018
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 10,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
I agree the new diesel trucks are much quieter than their older versions. And I am sure inside you don't hear the engine any more than a gas one. We just spent a week camping where a variety of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks were parked around us. You knew when the diesels started every morning. Still louder when they are idling getting hooked up. Maybe it is some of the owners that just leave them running to warm up that is the problem and not the trucks.
Still can't get away from the smell either Later RJD
__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
OntarioFireFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
Just an FYI, as said before that payload is misleading. That truck will tip the scale around 8400 with the 5th hitch and a full tank of diesel. Realistic payload is around 3k. I paid 56k for my dually (lariat) and love having the extra capacity, and being able to fill the fresh tank (100g) and not worry about if the tires are overloaded are not.


IMO given any pin over 2500 I'd consider a dually. You already said it won't be a DD.............I'm not sure why so many people are scared of them, but then again I'm not sure why so many people insist on buying a truck that will just be enough. Personally, I'd rather, and do, have too much truck. The more tires to replace argument no longer adds up as 6 17's and 4 20's come out pretty much a wash. And while a lot of people think duallies cost more that's a myth too. I priced both ways, the dually gained me 2500# payload for $1000 less than SRW.
It won't be used as a grocery getter; but it is still going to be my daily personal vehicle...

The size of the dually (both width, and length; as the DRW are only available on long-box trucks) does become an issue for running around town, parking, etc.

They have a place, no argument - and for a dedicated TV, it would be an easier sell... But for the limited miles we do (like I said, this year was 2200 miles - next year, probably be closer to 5000), and the SRW - while close to the limit, will have 'enough' payload... Plus there's the wife-factor. She's iffy on the 350, to start with.

I'm going to go look at an F350 SRW today; and they have a DRW on the lot, that I may take for a spin...
__________________
2014 Grey Wolf 28BH, behind a 2015 F350 Diesel Crew Cab

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #58
Georgia Frog Rally 2018
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 10,663
I like theses threads that start out gas and go full blowen diesel Anybody got more popcorn? Later RJD
__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
OntarioFireFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 175
True enough...

Don't forget the SRW/DRW argument, too!

I have realized that a 250/2500 won't have enough payload for the trailer and stuff... So I'll buy into that one - looking at actual door stickers, compared to the reported numbers, has been a bit of an eye opener.

Still not sold on a diesel, but a 350/3500 gasser seems to be a rare beast; and hearing that the 6.4 isn't a well liked engine by service people, does carry some weight, steering me away from Dodge.
__________________
2014 Grey Wolf 28BH, behind a 2015 F350 Diesel Crew Cab

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
drittal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: E. MT
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
Thanks - this is the kind of info I really need...

I don't have much experience with Dodge (as mentioned, I'm a Ford guy, generally) - hearing the 6.4 isn't a strong plant; well, that's good to know!
The 6.4 is a strong mill. In fact, the Hellcat motor uses the same block. They chose it for the hellcat because it was developed stronget to withstand higher duty cycles for the segment.
__________________

__________________
drittal is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
500

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.