Old 07-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
RCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I have a 2011 Ram and have nothing but problems with my OEM brake controller. I pull a 14000 lb fifth wheel and it will push my truck when I have to do a hard stop. The controller will not supply anymore than 50% to my trailer on a hard stop. It will supply a lot more than 50% if I hit the manual knob. What did you have to do to put the P3 in your truck?
I bought the pigtail (3021-P) unplug the 4 wire connector from the OEM (you can get to it from under the dash) and plug it into the pigtail. Mount the P3 and plug in the other end of the pigtail. Took about 20 min's.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #12

I have experience with 2012 2500 CTD and I'll tell you the factory has HD settings which were little help. I installed the P3 and with its boost feature I love it. I left the OEM in place and "repurposed" two wires... the brake lead to the rear and the wire from the brake light. I ran a separate B+ and ground for the P3. local dealer could not remove the factory brake controller in software and with out that it will show a warning every time i stopped.. left in place like I did is a good work around and I can for the first time actually stop!!!
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #13

Thank you for the information. I look forward to being able to stop my RV especially during hard stops.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
Global Nomad

Brake Controller

I have a 2015 RAM 3500, dually, with the OEM brake controller set at 4.5 no problem stopping my 36CKTS 5th wheel weighing 8 tons.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #15

In with the 2015 Ram brake controller you can make a lot more adjustments to the settings. On the 2011 Ram I only have one adjustment that I can make. I can adjust the brake control power from 1 to 10, and I have mine set at 10. I cannot adjust boost etc. I have had mine to the dealership a number of times and they stated that there is nothing wrong. If that is so, why did they give a lot more ability to make adjustments to the settings, if there is nothing wrong with what I have. 2010 and 2011 Ram brake controllers is a big enough problem that trailer life magazine had an article last year about the problem.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #16

My 2016 Ram 1500 stock brake controller works great. I am at 10K plus miles up and back to Alaska with no problems. I have it set at 3.5 and working great. I fail to see how a stock brake controller could damage the foundation brakes on the tow vehicle. It is your foot on the brake pedal and your butt feeding the info to the brain.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
In with the 2015 Ram brake controller you can make a lot more adjustments to the settings. On the 2011 Ram I only have one adjustment that I can make. I can adjust the brake control power from 1 to 10, and I have mine set at 10. I cannot adjust boost etc. I have had mine to the dealership a number of times and they stated that there is nothing wrong. If that is so, why did they give a lot more ability to make adjustments to the settings, if there is nothing wrong with what I have. 2010 and 2011 Ram brake controllers is a big enough problem that trailer life magazine had an article last year about the problem.
My 2012 stock controller can be optioned using the EVIC while with the key on not running... under electric brake options there is: Light, Heavy, Light EOH, and heavy EOH... its a diesel and I thought 2011 diesels were same, but obviously not sure. Even doing this my trailer brakes were weak, weak, weak. They were not broken-in after 8000 miles. But, now they are with the P3. I did read a trailer life question that there was a recall or some kind of dealer fix.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:52 PM   #18

havent had the luxury of pulling my XLR much with the '16, but i have towed many other (lighter, 10-15k/lbs) things and its been good so far.

Stops the XLR no problem, and shes about 16k empty, at any given time shes at 18k+ with all the junk onboard

Had about 20,000km of towing on my '15 before it ended up tits up in the field, again no issues with the brake controller. and no i didnt roll it because of the brakes, unless you count zero traction from an unloaded dually on ice as being a braking issue lol
Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #19

No issues for me, I actually prefer the integrated controller over aftermarket. One thing I found when I got my 15 DRW is the voltage output is cut below a certain speed, 35mph IIRC. So while I always have adequate braking, it is not as harsh at low speeds anymore. Just takes some getting used to.

FWIW I have used solely the integrated brake controller in my current truck as well as my last. Had Prodigy before that. Our Trilogy scales in a little over 18k rolling down the road, while our Seville was 16 right on the nose.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #20

Wow! Never heard so many complaints for a OEM controller. After several years on the market with Ram, you'd think they would have any bugs worked out.

I don't have a Ram, but I have the original Tekonsha Prodigy (before the P3 became available), now on it's 14th camping season, thru 2 campers and 3 tow vehicles.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, trailer