Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

2016 Rockwood Mini Lite Hitch

A lot of the time I have a terrible time getting my hitch to release and sometimes to latch, is there some trick to this? Sometimes I have to use a crowbar to get it to release. I have experience with a lot of other types of hitches and never had a problem. If I can't get this resolved I'm going shopping for a different trailer.
7th day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

If you are using a crowbar you are doing something wrong. Either you have not taken all the weight off or maybe the most common problem is the wrong size ball. Double check what is stamped on the hitch and make sure you are using the right one.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #3

Ball size is correct 2" stamped on hitch. All weight removed sometimes releasing the pressure by moving the truck slightly forward or back helps but not today.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #4

I should have been a bit more clear I guess, it is the latch that won't move or release, once it pops up the trailer comes easily off the hitch ball.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Learning a lot as I go...

A crowbar should NEVER be required nor used on that part of the hitch. If it does not operate easily either A) there is some pressure on things or B) something is bent. That portion of the ball locking mechanism is towards the rear so make sure the hitch is putting weight on the ball and the tow vehicle is not pushing back on the ball.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
StlClay

Try WD40 all over latch and ball each time you hook up. I have never had any problem with my 4 year old Mini Lite hitch

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

I have a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S. I had an older Airstream before this and never had a problem hooking up the hitch. What I have found with this hitch is that sometimes I need to move my tow vehicle forward by 1/2" or so when I am trying hook up. I do keep plenty of lithium grease on the ball.
pmidgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #8

Mini lite hitch

Wow... Please no crowbar.
Do you have a weight distrubitution hitch? I some times have to almost rock the rig to pop the latch. Maybe the ball is under pressure? If you have a WD hitch. We use an Andersen hitch and after the pressure is off the hitch the ball is still "stuck" in the towing position. A little jerk of the truck and you can hear the latch pop open.
I agree with the W D 40 lube... it really helps the pieces move to open things up.
Let us know what works... keep your mini lite they are great trailers!
Skip
SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

Will try the lube but I did find this which is most likely my problem.

Binding can occur if the trailer and tow vehicle are not on level ground or when the tow vehicle is level and the trailer is not (or the other way around).

Seems like a poor design to me.
Thank you all for the replies.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #10

I've never needed to fiddle with our current trailer's coupler, but on our previous (Coleman popup) I did. The latching mechanism had an adjustment nut for fine-tuning the fit around the underside of the ball.

If you have this adjustment (not sure if all couplers do), you may find that yours is so tight, that it's actually hard-tight on the ball. If so, not only would this be difficult to unlatch, you may be wearing the coupler and latch prematurely.

See if you have an adjuster, and try loosening just a bit, you want it as tight as possible, without creating the issues you are describing.

PS - My problem was the opposite on the popup. It was too loose. I'd noticed that with some upward pressure from the dolly, the coupler would release with the latch only slightly lifted. I tightened it up until it was difficult to get on the ball, then backed off a tad.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #11

My mini lite is very hard to latch and unlatch the coupler also. I have to use a pry bar (I actually pry with the bar from my Reese SC weight distribution hitch) and I pry between the front of the coupler and the hitch shank on the truck. My prying is pushing the trailer and the truck apart and it takes the pressure off of the coupler latch so I can couple it. I am assuming this is where you are prying also, but if not Mayberry try prying this way. I used to pry and beat the coupler latch, but that wasn't really helping.
Kevinwak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, rockwood, rockwood mini lite