Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #41
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Nope. No contract. I'm sure we'll work something out but I'll be disappointed if I don't get what I was promised. It won't be the end of the world though and it's not going to stop me from camping this year. I might propose the install me a slider for the cost of what I was promised and then I can just disable the sidewinder. I was curious how hard it was to get those things in and out of the truck when not in use. They look big, bulky and heavy.
Toby, you have lots of options for hitches and many have commented on some of them. Some auto sliders won't allow the use of the Revolution/Sidewinder but many manual sliders do.

I'll add a couple more things for you to consider...

Take a look at this hitch. it operates 'like' a slider but doesn't actually silde but 'rotates.' It comes apart in sections for ease of removal and has some cushioning built into it. It can be attached via a turnover ball or bed rails.

Since you've mentioned the deal with the truck with the puck system is questionable, you'll need rails. I have nothing to do with this hitch other than I seen it at a recent R/V show and it caught my eye.

Blue Ox Super Ride

A couple more things... the Revolution pin box is successfully used by many and since my most recent 5th wheel came with one, I wanted to try it. My experience was less than desirable. I had read about being sure to use the correct wedge so I purchased that in advance. I just could never get it adjusted to the point where it didn't clank when starting and stopping-vs-how hard it made it to hitch up when the wedge was finally tight enough to eliminate the clanking. In all fairness, I have a 20 year old Reese slider but there was a custom wedge was made for it. Maybe newer style hitches accomplish this better?

So... that, coupled with the fact that I've had the old Reese slider in 4 different short bed trucks in the last 20 years and never slid it for clearance, made me choose to bolt the Revolution back up and use it as a typical pin box.

I've been close to touching the cab a few times in the last 20 years but under normal circumstances, in hundreds of camping spaces, I've never had to slide the hitch. I pulled with a stationary hitch before that (in a long bed) and didn't ever need to jackknife it to 90º with it either.

Some folks have said... 'there will come a day when you'll need to slide that hitch so you can turn 90º" but I've not been there yet. Since I have a slider, I can if necessary but if you've ever watched the axles bind up and try to roll out from under a trailer when making a turn that tight, makes me not want to do that anyway.

Food for thought.
YMMV

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Toby, you have lots of options for hitches and many have commented on some of them. Some auto sliders won't allow the use of the Revolution/Sidewinder but many manual sliders do.

I'll add a couple more things for you to consider...

Take a look at this hitch. it operates 'like' a slider but doesn't actually silde but 'rotates.' It comes apart in sections for ease of removal and has some cushioning built into it. It can be attached via a turnover ball or bed rails.

Since you've mentioned the deal with the truck with the puck system is questionable, you'll need rails. I have nothing to do with this hitch other than I seen it at a recent R/V show and it caught my eye.

Blue Ox Super Ride

A couple more things... the Revolution pin box is successfully used by many and since my most recent 5th wheel came with one, I wanted to try it. My experience was less than desirable. I had read about being sure to use the correct wedge so I purchased that in advance. I just could never get it adjusted to the point where it didn't clank when starting and stopping-vs-how hard it made it to hitch up when the wedge was finally tight enough to eliminate the clanking. In all fairness, I have a 20 year old Reese slider but there was a custom wedge was made for it. Maybe newer style hitches accomplish this better?

So... that, coupled with the fact that I've had the old Reese slider in 4 different short bed trucks in the last 20 years and never slid it for clearance, made me choose to bolt the Revolution back up and use it as a typical pin box.

I've been close to touching the cab a few times in the last 20 years but under normal circumstances, in hundreds of camping spaces, I've never had to slide the hitch. I pulled with a stationary hitch before that (in a long bed) and didn't ever need to jackknife it to 90º with it either.

Some folks have said... 'there will come a day when you'll need to slide that hitch so you can turn 90º" but I've not been there yet. Since I have a slider, I can if necessary but if you've ever watched the axles bind up and try to roll out from under a trailer when making a turn that tight, makes me not want to do that anyway.

Food for thought.
YMMV
This is great information! Thanks a bunch! It helps me make a decision I wasn't sure about (along with the other replies too).
Old 03-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I just went quick to get you some thoughts. When I put in the shot bed it only showed sliders. Call them and ask about your setup. They are supposed to be very responsive... These options I put out there are not the only way to go. It's just all I can think of after work and three beers. LOL..

Good luck with your choices and let us know the wins and fails. When I get to thinking hard on something, my bride keeps kicking me about "Think Long, Think Wrong." I have no clue what that means as I am always right.

Edit: Your Rev pin box should be mentioned to them.
So I get a phone call today. The dealer is on the line. They have the right parts after all. They are working on it now. If all goes well, I'll have the option to use or not use the sidewinder. I'll be happy when this episode is done and I can start on the next one. Thanks or all your input!!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #44
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
So I get a phone call today. The dealer is on the line. They have the right parts after all. They are working on it now. If all goes well, I'll have the option to use or not use the sidewinder. I'll be happy when this episode is done and I can start on the next one. Thanks or all your input!!
Great news!
It won't be long and you'll be out there enjoying the journey. Best of luck.
Keep us posted on your outcome.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #45

2018 F250 5er Question

Great news! While we were outside unloading everything out of our old camper I did a quick tree inspection and that’s when I noticed the tree over the camping pad has a large crack developing on the main trunk. I get to drop another two grand to remove it.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Great news! While we were outside unloading everything out of our old camper I did a quick tree inspection and that’s when I noticed the tree over the camping pad has a large crack developing on the main trunk. I get to drop another two grand to remove it.
That stinks but better to drop 2k now than have it ruin 50-100k of stuff when it comes crashing down!

Old 03-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #47

Quote:
But if they leave you the wood - after you cut/chop/pile it you could enjoy a bonfire If you have the strength left!
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
But if they leave you the wood - after you cut/chop/pile it you could enjoy a bonfire If you have the strength left!

I have so much wood stacked up out there I couldn’t possibly use more. I just want it gone at this point. I can’t possibly burn that much wood.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have so much wood stacked up out there I couldn’t possibly use more. I just want it gone at this point. I can’t possibly burn that much wood.
If you're giving it away, I'll take a couple of cords. Delivered of course.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If you're giving it away, I'll take a couple of cords. Delivered of course.

Well that would save me a chunk of cash but I don’t deliver in even years. Odd years are questionable too! It seems like a shame though to let that go.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #51
MMCM/SS

Bed rail clearance

I am in the process of going from travel trailers to my first 5th wheel. I ordered a 2019 F250 XLT with the factory 5th wheel package,6 3/4 bed, pucks in the bed. As far as I know ford has not changed anything major on the 2019 model, so they should be the same as the 2018. The hitch I am looking at is the Reese RP 30144. It looks like it would be easy to put in/out of the bed. The 5th wheel is also on order, it is a Rockwood with a Reese Revolution hitch (sidewinder). I don't know the model of the kingpin on the trailer or what custom wedge to order to fit the 30144 hitch yet. I don't have a vin yet, so.... What I need help today is with...… it looks like this hitch sits low in the bed, and I don't know if you can adjust this hitch high enough to give me proper clearance between the bed and 5th wheel. I know this hitch is a slider, and you don't need the slider with a Revolution hitch, but you don't have to use the hitch as a slider, and you don't have to use the kingpin as a sidewinder. Lots of choices for me. Will the Reese RP30144 work with the Rockwood installed Revolution hitch installed on the 5th wheel give me the bed clearance I need????
Tooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #52

Oh my. It’s been a year since I’ve been on here. So now I have the truck and trailer and all are working very well. I love the companion hitch, puck system and the trailer is nice too. I think I’m a little nose high so I’ll take it apart if the weather ever warms up and see if I can lower it some. I’m using the wedge and so far so good. This forum disabled notifications and I can’t turn it back on so I guess I completely spaced it . Oops!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooters View Post
I am in the process of going from travel trailers to my first 5th wheel. I ordered a 2019 F250 XLT with the factory 5th wheel package,6 3/4 bed, pucks in the bed. As far as I know ford has not changed anything major on the 2019 model, so they should be the same as the 2018. The hitch I am looking at is the Reese RP 30144. It looks like it would be easy to put in/out of the bed. The 5th wheel is also on order, it is a Rockwood with a Reese Revolution hitch (sidewinder). I don't know the model of the kingpin on the trailer or what custom wedge to order to fit the 30144 hitch yet. I don't have a vin yet, so.... What I need help today is with...… it looks like this hitch sits low in the bed, and I don't know if you can adjust this hitch high enough to give me proper clearance between the bed and 5th wheel. I know this hitch is a slider, and you don't need the slider with a Revolution hitch, but you don't have to use the hitch as a slider, and you don't have to use the kingpin as a sidewinder. Lots of choices for me. Will the Reese RP30144 work with the Rockwood installed Revolution hitch installed on the 5th wheel give me the bed clearance I need????
I know nothing about that hitch but it's been a while and you probably already have it set up like you want it. So how's it working out? I know my trailer came with a wedge which the dealer installed for me but my hitch also came with a wedge. Perhaps that would be a better fit. The one with the trailer seems to work just fine though. I didn't know the wedge would come with the trailer as I had neither the truck or the trailer when I purchased/ordered both of them.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #54

Just a little enhancement to keep the tools dry in the back. Last year I hit some unexpected rain and had to pull over. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6950.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	201760

Tags
5er, f250