Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

2019 F-150 Tailgate LEDs

I have tried to add Tailgate LEDs to my 2019 F-150 with the 4 Pin Plugin,
The truck keeps telling me the Trailer is Disconnected ???
Has anyone had this problem ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #2

Doesn't surprise me. Computer is monitoring power thru the connectors. If all circuits aren't registering to the expected value, it'll post the warning. Lots of folks have reported similar issues that were related to the trailer brakes.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

Yeah your going to struggle with this. The truck monitors trailer light draw to let you know if there is a light out or a malfunction. It’s not going to like you plugging into it and only using a couple of the connections. Even then if it did like it you would have a trailer connected as far as it’s concerned which would disable your cross traffic and blind spot alerts.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:28 AM   #4

If you really want them..not sure why...you likely have to tap into your regular taillight wires.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #5

Thanks Guys !!!
I thought the answer was going to be to Hard Wire them,
not sure I am going that far ?
I really like having all the stop lights that are available !!!

Old 03-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #6

You probably need LEDs with resistors -- commonly available as replacements for the LED lights that will "fast blink" when used in turn signals, etc. The brake Ford controller can be fooled the same way.

Pretty sure you can also just turn off the brake controller when not needed so it's not detecting the low resistance.

And there may be settings in Forscan you can make to cure this, I've not looked closely at the F150 Forscan settings. The Ford F150 Forscan forum will have details I'm sure.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
You probably need LEDs with resistors -- commonly available as replacements for the LED lights that will "fast blink" when used in turn signals, etc. The brake Ford controller can be fooled the same way.

Pretty sure you can also just turn off the brake controller when not needed so it's not detecting the low resistance.

And there may be settings in Forscan you can make to cure this, I've not looked closely at the F150 Forscan settings. The Ford F150 Forscan forum will have details I'm sure.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck !!!
Think I will return them while I still can !!!
Old 03-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #8

Here is a great place that should have more info on this mod. https://www.f150forum.com/
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #9

I put them on my 2015 F 150 & had the same problem. I hard wired them into the trucks tail lights. Not that hard to do. My lights have the back up LED's built into them & boy do they light things up !
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

Co. that sells the ones I bought told me they had never heard of this problem !!!

B S !!!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Grammar Pedant

For the Super Duty crowd, there is a factory LED strip that sits between tailgate and rear bumper. People generally tie into the license plate light. Putting a load on the trailer wiring is known to cause the truck to mistakenly believe a trailer is connected. I've not done this mod, but know of this issue simply from being active on a Ford truck forum.

It's one of the reasons why I always recommend that people go to truck forums to learn more about trucks ... and, when I'm on truck forums, I'd recommend people go to the RV forums to learn more about RVs. Sure, many people here have trucks and can answer the questions, but nothing beats a targeted forum on subject X when you want info on subject X.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
For the Super Duty crowd, there is a factory LED strip that sits between tailgate and rear bumper. People generally tie into the license plate light. Putting a load on the trailer wiring is known to cause the truck to mistakenly believe a trailer is connected. I've not done this mod, but know of this issue simply from being active on a Ford truck forum.

It's one of the reasons why I always recommend that people go to truck forums to learn more about trucks ... and, when I'm on truck forums, I'd recommend people go to the RV forums to learn more about RVs. Sure, many people here have trucks and can answer the questions, but nothing beats a targeted forum on subject X when you want info on subject X.

Good luck.
Tying to the Lic light would only give you tail lights,
No Break or turn signals !!!
Old 03-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #13

Tailgate light bar

Ford changed something in the 2015 and up models. My light bar worked on my 2014 F150 but not my 2017 F250. I had to hardwire it. Pull the taillights to get power, connections are out of the weather there.
Bigfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #14

The CANBUS and computer controls more items than before. The headlight switch doesn't turn on the lights, it tells the computer to turn on the lights. Same effect, of course, but the computer can do things like detect a brake light out, trailer disconnect, etc. Non OE light bulbs can confuse the computer.

Heck, I didn't know there was no mechanical connection between my gas pedal and engine for a couple of years until I went looking for it one afternoon. 2007 Expedition. 2017 Expedition, and every other car in our extended family, lacks the mechanical connection as well. Drive-by-Wire.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
The CANBUS and computer controls more items than before. The headlight switch doesn't turn on the lights, it tells the computer to turn on the lights. Same effect, of course, but the computer can do things like detect a brake light out, trailer disconnect, etc. Non OE light bulbs can confuse the computer.

Heck, I didn't know there was no mechanical connection between my gas pedal and engine for a couple of years until I went looking for it one afternoon. 2007 Expedition. 2017 Expedition, and every other car in our extended family, lacks the mechanical connection as well. Drive-by-Wire.

-- Chuck
I hear ya !!!
I could not believe the truck new there was no trailer !!!

Tags
led