Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Look on page 449 and 450 of your Owner's Manual. There you will discover the truth. Your Tacoma V-6 TRD Pre Runner 4X2 has a towing capacity of 6500 # IF it has the towing package option. If you look at page 448, you'll see your payload capacity. Your Tacoma can handle the weight of your trailer. That being said, you are pulling a large box down the highway against the wind. THAT'S what you're having a problem with, wind resistance. I towed a 5000# Jayco TT with my V-6 Tacoma Pre Runner TRD Sport with a towing package. (sound familiar?) I kept it out of OD and did not use the cruise. I ran up a 6% grade on I-40 doing 60 mph, but I was revving at 3700 RPM doing it. I towed many a miles and though I knew the TT was back there, the Tacoma never skipped a beat.
Wind resistance is a MAJOR factor when towing a TT. I towed my Jayco TT with my current RAM 2500 Cummins and got worse gas mileage than when I tow my 12,000# fiver. It's the wind.
If you're considering a Tundra to replace your Tacoma, get the 5.7L with the towing package. It will give you more options a couple years down the road when you'll be ready to up size your TT.

2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
What the door post say for towing weight. I looked it up online 6400 pounds. But might need to turn the overdrive off to tow. Keep the rpms up and keep the speed up.

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2013 Salem Cruise light 19bh
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
I traded an '06 Dakota for my Tundra. At the time last year we still had our 19' hybrid 4100 pounds loaded). The Dakota had a 230hp V8, 3:55 rear end, and a tow rating of 5500 pounds. Put the Tundra on that hybrid, and it never knew there was a trailer back there.

Then my wife realizes we can pull a ton more camper, so SHE starts looking through our dealer's inventory. I would get these texts with links to various trailers with "Can your truck pull this?"

So you've been warned... Get a bigger truck, a bigger camper won't be far behind. With the 5.7, Toyota automatically puts the 4.30:1 rear end on with the tow package. Regardless of how many or few options the truck has. Which means it's very possible to get a 1/2 ton tuck with a 9700 pound tow capacity for $30K. That's a hunk o' truck for the dollar.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Thank you to you all..I really appreciate all this advise. I am going to hook up and play with the Tacoma tomorrow. Will take it out to the CAT scales near here and get the weights just for grins and pull it for a while playing with the gears out on the interstate. Then Saturday play with my friend's Tundra and my trailer. Then will make my decision on what I am going to do.
Skeetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
there is minimal fuel savings between the 2 motors, I seldomly use the cruise in my area due to the hilly terrain, it is too aggressive on the recovery, have had better fuel econ without the cruise. 5.7L with the tow package is the way to go hands down.

should be some good deals on the '13 model year, as the '14 has the updated interior and exterior styling, some dealerships have some on display.
'07 Toyota Tundra 5.7L DC 4x2
'16 Surveyor 226RBDS
Nights camped 2016 - 3
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
I went to the Toyota Dealership today..different one than the one I bought my Taco from. I was telling the guy my plight. Mentioned 6500 towing capacity. He stopped me..said he thought only the TRD 4x4 had 6500. We walked inside and he produced the Taco customer hand out book and sure enough, Tow/TRD 4x2 said 3500lbs. NO FREAKIN' WAY!! I left ready for battle at my dealership. He called me back about 10 min later and said a buddy there had pulled out another book that said Tow/TRD 4x2 6400lbs. I just shake my head! So which one is right?????
IMO, the payload capacity far outweighs the towing capacity. You'll run out of payload an hit GVWR or rear axle ratings will be hit or exceeded long before you hit towing capacity.

What does your door jamb say for your cargo carrying capacity and GVWR?
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
GVWR 5400lbs
payload 1150 lbs
Old 08-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
Pulled my rig with a friend's Tundra today. Oh my>>now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Sealed the deal for the trade with the Toyota dealership. Thank you all for your helpful information. Still sucking air for my loss on the Tacoma but this too will pass. Case closed.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Moderators' Assistant
sorry for your "loss" but that's what dealers don't tell buyers about v-6 engines and towing. they have significant limitations pulling full height trailers.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
I bet the OP will have a bigger trailer by next season.

John4th is offline   Reply With Quote