Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #21

Game on dude! I bet I won't. I love this little trailer! Do I dare ask what OP is?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
Game on dude! I bet I won't. I love this little trailer! Do I dare ask what OP is?
in this case, Original Poster.
also means, Original Post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
Yea yea, I said the same thing about my 19' hybrid. Start of my second season towing with my Tundra, i was bringing home a brand new trailer. Granted my wife started the push for our bunkhouse, I didn't put up much resistance.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #24
Ambassador

I have the 2015 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 w/tow package, I guess the equivalent truck and I pull a Rockwood 2502 mini lite. It is 4300lbs dry probably 5500lbs loaded without water, and empty waste tanks. I have to say the Tacoma as it comes with a tow package isn't ready to tow a TT. Certainly not powerful enough to pull on cruise control leaving the computer to decide gas and shifting. I had to modify my factory truck to make it safer to tow with; for instance I replaced the factory tires with Light Truck tires rated load range C. They have stiffer side walls makes for kess drifting from vehicles passing and wind gusts. I already had a 7 pin connector but I purchased a weight distribution hitch with thick 12,000 lb rated friction trunnions to reduce sway. I also had a proportional brake controller installed to help keep that trailer back their where it belongs. Probably $1000 bucks in tires and equipment in addition to what the factory tow package provided. I also do not use cruise control and in fact do not even use overdrive. The computer is a terrible judge of when to shift and how much throttle it needs. 4th gear at about 2200 to 2700 rpms gets me 60 mph to 65 mph on the highway. Definitely not higher than 3200 rpms on steep hills. No issues pulling with this strategy. My gas milage is usually 10 to 12 miles per gallon. Sometimes when there's a long steep down hill, I'll use the overdrive gear to save gas but it's the exception not the rule. You have to drive the truck definitely not able to just ride along like normal. Towing takes constant attention to your environment, and your rig.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #25

EXACTLY Ken K. That is exactly how I felt driving with my Tacoma. I got my Tundra and I STILL love my little travel trailer and this Tundra makes it a dream to pull. Ride instead of drive. I've put about 20,000 miles on this rig and can't wait to go more. So happy I traded up.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #26

I pull my 21fbrs with a 2015 tacoma 4x4 off road. I monitor transmission temps which never gets over 180. I traded in a 2008 limited tundra crewmax for this truck and the tacoma actually pulls it better with more power. My tundra had the 4.7. I never pull over 55 mph. I still own my 2000 tundra with 250k miles and love it. The new tundra is too damn big, takes up too much carport space, a pain in the ass to park, and you have to have a step ladder to get something out of the bed. My tacoma weighs 4300 lbs which is plenty enough weight to handle my trailer. The perfect toyota truck would be a tacoma with a small V8.
scottfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
Ambassador

I have a 2015, it's a 4x2, but not a TRD. I have a 4 liter V6. My rating is 6500 lbs. the rating for the 4 cylinder in 3500 lbs... I know this is an old thread but people will still look at it for info. There are websites that trailer magazine hosts that give towing capacity of all vehicles.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toyota