Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #1

21FBRS with Toyota Tacoma TV

I bought a 2013 Tacoma with Tow and TRD packages 6 months ago with pulling the Flagstaff 21FBRS with it. The towing capacity of the Tacoma is 6500lbs. The GVW of the 21FBRS is 4700. I thought it would be cake pulling with this truck.
I picked up my brand new 21FBRS on Thursday. It sits very nicely on the Tacoma but driving it on the interstate was not fun. For the 4 hours of driving I did to get back home, I pretty much decided I had made a big mistake and will need to just suck up and go get the Tundra. Do y'all agree?
I could not use cruise control at all. It had trouble going over overpasses..can't even imagine what would happen on a mountain. I've decided that car salesmen and Travel Trailer salesmen know nothing about the product they are selling. They will tell you anything or better yet tell you nothing that you need to know to make a decision on this purchase. I am wondering if a big part of my problem was the wind resistance off the front wall of the TT. The Taco is quite a bit shorter than the Tundra and leaves lots of wall to hit the wind. If the Tundra is the bottom line, what about the 4.6L vs 5.7L?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Check your weights for whatever truck you get. I believe that you'll have the best experience if you're within all of your ratings:
http://learntorv.blogspot.com/p/what-can-i-tow.html?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #3

Try using your gears, especially for hills. Cruise control doesn't work well when towing.

2013 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2011 Infinity QX56
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

well, you learned the hard way.
some accuse many of us of being "weight police" but we are only trying to alert new owners to the limits of their tow vehicles.
many v-6 tow vehicles' ratings are based on towing a boat and not a full height trailer with lots of air resistance that most v-6 engines have a tough time overcoming.
only the Ecoboost v-6 has the power to match even some diesels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #5

Thank you for your replies. I really want to understand why this Tacoma is not working. I will use the math on ependydad's blog to see where I am with that. I didn't even think about dropping into lower gears. But I really don't want to have to drive that way ALL the time. I was driving on I10 between Jax and TLH. And it struggled on the hilliness of that! I can certainly see it on bigger hills/mountains. It handles very well side to side with semis. Was pleased about that. So air resistance was a big enemy here? And if that's the case, how is an SUV getting away with pulling this thing? Can cruise be used on a 1/2 ton?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #6

I I didn't have a trailer to pull, I'd own a Tacoma. Outstanding vehicle.

That said, you trailer when loaded with water and gear will most likely weigh an additional 1K pounds. Now you're less than 1K pounds from your tow rating. You really ought to have a Tundra (to stay within the same brand). Plus the larger truck will physically handle the trailer better.

Using low gears is a fact of life with towing. That's what maximizes the torque in the motor. Rule of thumb if you don't have access to scales is to keep the GVWR of the trailer a full ton under the published tow rating of your particular vehicle. My 261BHXL has a GVWR of Around 7500 pounds, my Tundra has a SAE tow rating of 9700 Pounds. Adding water and gear to my yellow sticker weight of 4600 pounds, I figure around 5500 pounds. Tows easily. You will have no issues if you go with anTundra on your trailer.

I am very sorry for your towing troubles. I know your frustrations.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #7

I am sorry, you listed the 4700 pounds as your gross, not dry. Make sure you're using your tow/haul setting. I never use cruise when towing.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #8

The Tacoma is a wonderful truck and I have loved having it every day of the six months it's been mine. I am headed out to the Toyota dealership now to put my eyes on the Tundra with the thought of owning one..Thank you for your thoughts J3.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #9

I love my Tundra. I looked at an F150 Eco-boost, but I went with the Tundra instead. So many of the '07s and '08s are still with their original owners. And I will duck after saying this, but the Tundra felt like it had a little more grunt than the F150. Plus I had my heart set on one for few years before getting it.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #10

I went to the Toyota Dealership today..different one than the one I bought my Taco from. I was telling the guy my plight. Mentioned 6500 towing capacity. He stopped me..said he thought only the TRD 4x4 had 6500. We walked inside and he produced the Taco customer hand out book and sure enough, Tow/TRD 4x2 said 3500lbs. NO FREAKIN' WAY!! I left ready for battle at my dealership. He called me back about 10 min later and said a buddy there had pulled out another book that said Tow/TRD 4x2 6400lbs. I just shake my head! So which one is right?????

Tags
toyota