Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 24
I have pulled without a slider but it feels so much better watching the camper move away from my truck when I am turning with a slider.
__________________

__________________
alayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Everett, Washington
Posts: 170
I use my slider every time I pull into my dead end street and turn around. With a short box truck it is better to have it and not need it. 300.00 for a new back sliding window, I know from experience. The Cedar Creek does have a more concave nose than my sterling. Getting out to pull the lever is really not a big deal but if I were to do it again I would get a auto slide.
__________________

__________________
Mike, Lisa and Jake
2002 Ford F250 CC 7.3
2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Also remember on a flat parking lot turn 88-90 deg is normally not a problem. When backing uphill or on a decreasing radius turn (think most CG trying to find your spot and you have never been there) yes to the slider. An auto slider would be best as it will work without having to think about it, in the rain, in the cold, etc.
X'2 This is what people forget either slider or sidewinder period. If you are on uneven ground you will hit that cab.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
camper1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 778
Remember the original question was about silverbacks not about sliders in general. Silverbacks you willnever need a slider as long as your bed is 6.5. I back up grades all the time no problem.
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
X'2 This is what people forget either slider or sidewinder period. If you are on uneven ground you will hit that cab......
Um, wrong. I never used either on any 5th and never hit my cab or even come close. Again, the word "need" is way overused when it comes to RV equipment. MANY things that would simply be nice are touted as "needed" on the forums when it's just not the case. Often by those who have never gone without said nicety and are just going on what others have told them. Can my cab hit my trailer? Sure, if I'm not paying attention. My truck can also drive into a tree if I'm not paying attention. Life isn't foolproof. However, if you have the funds and desire for something to make it more so, then more power to you. Just don't call it a necessity when many go happily without...
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Um, wrong. I never used either on any 5th and never hit my cab or even come close. Again, the word "need" is way overused when it comes to RV equipment. MANY things that would simply be nice are touted as "needed" on the forums when it's just not the case. Often by those who have never gone without said nicety and are just going on what others have told them. Can my cab hit my trailer? Sure, if I'm not paying attention. My truck can also drive into a tree if I'm not paying attention. Life isn't foolproof. However, if you have the funds and desire for something to make it more so, then more power to you. Just don't call it a necessity when many go happily without...
That's your opinion. And I don't use anything to much or overused. If your on uneven ground and backing up you will hit a short bed cab period. Had a slider and still do with my first 5th wheel and and still do with the sidewinder. I would rather have it then not. Your paying 1000,00 0f dollars for a truck and camper that can turn at 88 degrees max. YOU Could go ahead and cheap out now to save 200.00 and get caught on a road single lane and turn it around over 90 degrees you will wish you had it if you need it or not. I could really care less about your opinion, but that's my advice to the OP. I don't think it was directed at you at all. His truck His trailer no hype here.....
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
camper1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That's your opinion. And I don't use anything to much or overused. If your on uneven ground and backing up you will hit a short bed cab period. Had a slider and still do with my first 5th wheel and and still do with the sidewinder. I would rather have it then not. Your paying 1000,00 0f dollars for a truck and camper that can turn at 88 degrees max. YOU Could go ahead and cheap out now to save 200.00 and get caught on a road single lane and turn it around over 90 degrees you will wish you had it if you need it or not. I could really care less about your opinion, but that's my advice to the OP. I don't think it was directed at you at all. His truck His trailer no hype here.....
Do you have a silverback
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That's your opinion. And I don't use anything to much or overused. If your on uneven ground and backing up you will hit a short bed cab period. Had a slider and still do with my first 5th wheel and and still do with the sidewinder. I would rather have it then not. Your paying 1000,00 0f dollars for a truck and camper that can turn at 88 degrees max. YOU Could go ahead and cheap out now to save 200.00 and get caught on a road single lane and turn it around over 90 degrees you will wish you had it if you need it or not. I could really care less about your opinion, but that's my advice to the OP. I don't think it was directed at you at all. His truck His trailer no hype here.....
It's not at all an "opinion." It's a fact based on over 10k miles of towing my last rig over the last three years. Never hit my cab once backing up or on uneven ground and here in New England we have some of the oldest, smallest, toughest to navigate campgrounds in the country. Never even come close. So, conversely from what you posted, your facts are indeed unfounded opinions as MANY people do the same as I and never hit their cab. I think your confusing the need for a slider with hitch height adjustment. Have 6" of clearance between bed rails and your 5ver and you're not hitting anything backing up a hill. Long or short bed, slider or not, you'll hit with too little clearance...

Oh, and this has nothing to do with "cheaping out" as you put it. I love to spend money and love gadgets. Just can't abide waste on something that isn't needed.

As for the needing more than 88 degrees, you really need more practice if you can't get out of ANY situation with 88 degrees to play with. Try a travel trailer of the same length that can't turn anywhere close to 88 degrees. Done that too without issue as my last TT was over 36'. (Made my last 40+' 5ver felt short by comparison.) Again, I think a slider or Sidewinder is a great option for those who need a help to compensate for lack of skill or experience. Or perhaps for people who have a hard time focusing or remembering to keep close watch on things. Nothing to be ashamed of. I'll say it again though. Just call it a requirement as it isn't...
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
Do you have a silverback
No and a Silverback has nothing to do with it if you can only turn 88 degrees you are going to get caught one day going down a road that you will not be able to turn around on. Grew up on semi and flat beds. Been trained by the best US ARMY..... Turning that baby around on a single lane road that your GPS took you down by mistake. That's my Opinion, there are also other manufactors that claim the same thing. Take a look at some of there damaged caps and dented cabs because you fell for the hype.. By the way I'm answering the OP not you or anyone else. He doesn't have to take my advice. Sure haven't heard from him yet. ONLY PEOPLE who disagree with my opinion. I'm not sure what the distence is between the pin and cap but where your hitch is located in a F250 is only 3' from the center hitch to the cab. What is the measured distance from the pin to the cap? On the Silverback you keep quoting?
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
No and a Silverback has nothing to do with it if you can only turn 88 degrees you are going to get caught one day going down a road that you will not be able to turn around on. Grew up on semi and flat beds. Been trained by the best US ARMY..... Turning that baby around on a single lane road that your GPS took you down by mistake. That's my Opinion, there are also other manufactors that claim the same thing. Take a look at some of there damaged caps and dented cabs because you fell for the hype.. By the way I'm answering the OP not you or anyone else. He doesn't have to take my advice. Sure haven't heard from him yet. ONLY PEOPLE who disagree with my opinion.
I heard from the OP via PM who thanked me for my thoughts a couple of times including a few minutes ago.

As for "hype" and damaged cabs, anyone can feel free to look at mine. Bad logic there really. Because something can happen to a small amount of users does not mean it will happen to everyone. Blanket statements don't help anyone...
__________________

__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.