Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I heard from the OP via PM who thanked me for my thoughts a couple of times including a few minutes ago.

As for "hype" and damaged cabs, anyone can feel free to look at mine. Bad logic there really. Because something can happen to a small amount of users does not mean it will happen to everyone. Blanket statements don't help anyone...
It's not a blanket statement it's common sense... I'm glad the OP took your opinion. Have a great day and safe towing to the OP.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
No and a Silverback has nothing to do with it if you can only turn 88 degrees you are going to get caught one day going down a road that you will not be able to turn around on. Grew up on semi and flat beds. Been trained by the best US ARMY..... Turning that baby around on a single lane road that your GPS took you down by mistake. That's my Opinion, there are also other manufactors that claim the same thing. Take a look at some of there damaged caps and dented cabs because you fell for the hype.. By the way I'm answering the OP not you or anyone else. He doesn't have to take my advice. Sure haven't heard from him yet. ONLY PEOPLE who disagree with my opinion. I'm not sure what the distence is between the pin and cap but where your hitch is located in a F250 is only 3' from the center hitch to the cab. What is the measured distance from the pin to the cap? On the Silverback you keep quoting?
Silverback has everything to do with it. That was the point of the question. Silver backs allow for 90 degree plus turning radius with out a slider period. On 6.6 foot beds. Your confusing the original poster by commenting on equipment you did not have
Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #23

I think people on this forum are getting cabin fever as there seems to be more and more discussions turning into arguments. This is supposed to be a friendly place that people can voice there opinions and not get shot down for doing so.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #24
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I think people on this forum are getting cabin fever as there seems to be more and more discussions turning into arguments. This is supposed to be a friendly place that people can voice there opinions and not get shot down for doing so.
Agreed
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I totally agree especially about cabin fever. But when people comment on equipment they do not have and state it as fact and not opinion, it confuses the people looking for help. As far as I can tell I was the only one with a Silverback that was commenting in this thread.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
I totally agree especially about cabin fever. But when people comment on equipment they do not have and state it as fact and not opinion, it confuses the people looking for help. As far as I can tell I was the only one with a Silverback that was commenting in this thread.
Im a newbie. Bought my first 5th wheel at the end of last summer. I was worried that I might need a slider. My truck has a 6.5 foot bed. Bought a used non slider to get me by and Im glad I did. Now Im new to towing a 5th wheel however I have tons of experience with bumper pulls. I don't have a Silver back either but I can tell you for a fact, Ive had my truck at 90 degrees just to see if it would do it and I was nowhere near hitting the cab. Although I was paying close attention to what I was doing and I think thats key.
2003 F-350 SRW V-10 3:73 gears
Knightrider955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #27

My humble opinion is if you have a short bed truck 6.5 bed or less buy a slider hitch.

You may never know when you need one until you need the hitch. It is better to be safe than sorry and have a cab window busted and damage to the cab sheet metal and camper. This is like insurance you do not need the insurance until you have an accident and if you do not have insurance it is too late.

I am on my third fiver now being pulled by a 2008 Ram Mega Cab this has the 6.5 bed and both of my two previous campers have had the 88 deg turning corners or better. I still use my manual slider hitch when backing up into camp sites and my driveway better safe than sorry.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #28

This is what happens when the old "TOWING" subject comes up. No true factual statements are made. Just your experience. Just everyone's opinion. I guess if a person wants to take the opinion of someone, and their experience, instead of researching this info from qualified resources, so be it. That's why it is very confusing for newbies. Again I say, not on the FRF. NOT, towing info. That's my opinion from reading so many of these "Opinions" and "experiences" that are argued. Flip the coin and hope nothing happens.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
This is what happens when the old "TOWING" subject comes up. No true factual statements are made. Just your experience. Just everyone's opinion. I guess if a person wants to take the opinion of someone, and their experience, instead of researching this info from qualified resources, so be it. That's why it is very confusing for newbies. Again I say, not on the FRF. NOT, towing info. That's my opinion from reading so many of these "Opinions" and "experiences" that are argued. Flip the coin and hope nothing happens.
This started with the Claim FR made saying that a Silverback turning radius is 88 degrees. There is no misinformation there it is on the sticker of the cab. Planly states Max turning 88 degrees nothing there at all to misinterpret. What has been suggested to the OP nobody else is that it is best to have a slider or sidewinder. for tight spots or single ln. roads that you might need more then the 88 and even more then 90 degrees to move your trailer. And as far as a couple post ago a member said that he didn't need one to turn 90 degrees but his unit was a 1982 or 1984, when the caps where much more square and didn't think of aerodynamics at that time. 90% of the members stated it better to have then not to have. The OP can get what he wants that is up to him. All forums are based on experience and what is on the market. I have to turn over 90 degrees to get in my driveway. No hype just if I didn't have it my cab and window would have been broken along time ago plus the Damage to the Cap...We just have to agree to disagree, It's the OP question and let him read the opinions on the subject.....

Old 03-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #30

Quote:
This started with the Claim FR made saying that a Silverback turning radius is 88 degrees. There is no misinformation there it is on the sticker of the cab. Planly states Max turning 88 degrees nothing there at all to misinterpret. What has been suggested to the OP nobody else is that it is best to have a slider or sidewinder. for tight spots or single ln. roads that you might need more then the 88 and even more then 90 degrees to move your trailer. And as far as a couple post ago a member said that he didn't need one to turn 90 degrees but his unit was a 1982 or 1984, when the caps where much more square and didn't think of aerodynamics at that time. 90% of the members stated it better to have then not to have. The OP can get what he wants that is up to him. All forums are based on experience and what is on the market. I have to turn over 90 degrees to get in my driveway. No hype just if I didn't have it my cab and window would have been broken along time ago plus the Damage to the Cap...We just have to agree to disagree, It's the OP question and let him read the opinions on the subject.....
I totally agree with you, but do you not see why this is frustrating to a newbie. I agree on extra insurance, but how can a person be confident when there is so much disagreement. Yes, there is more for than against, but does that mean we go with the majority? Some say tow vehicles are ok at a close tow range, some say no. That is why I say qualified techs for this type of info. Not salesman of course. This type of subject is too dangerous for opinion or experience. Some say they have towed over mountains with tow ranges close to exact or just over. Is that ok? What should one do?
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #31

I never needed 88 degrees for my 30 foot bumper pull TT. And I could put that thing anywhere I wanted. If you need 88 degrees to back a 5th wheel then you have no business towing a 5th wheel. I got my first 5th wheel last fall and backed it up the drive, around the turn and next to the garage the same as I did with my TT. I think its actually easier than my TT
Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
I totally agree with you, but do you not see why this is frustrating to a newbie. I agree on extra insurance, but how can a person be confident when there is so much disagreement. Yes, there is more for than against, but does that mean we go with the majority? Some say tow vehicles are ok at a close tow range, some say no. That is why I say qualified techs for this type of info. Not salesman of course. This type of subject is too dangerous for opinion or experience. Some say they have towed over mountains with tow ranges close to exact or just over. Is that ok? What should one do?
I have no problem in what you said and Thank You for that. There is a time when a owner has to make a decision. People can do as they please, but at least I try to make my decisions by the research I have done and by the experiences others have had. Do I believe a dealer NO. What I do believe is my research, my comfort level and others experiences. You take the good with the bad. I know you or I think a member would intentionally lead another down the wrong path. For What purpose? There are lots of these things that people differ on, LED lights, Tires, Rims, CG and warranty work and the reputation of FR to mention a few. It's simple not everything works for some but will work for someone else. It's not my Business on what is safe for you to tow, but I will give info that Learned and pass it on. Not that people have to take it. I only wish the OP who really counts to make a decision that is safe for him and his family and the general public. Now off my high horse and SPRING WILL BE HERE SOON.................:thumbs up:

Old 03-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider955 View Post
I never needed 88 degrees for my 30 foot bumper pull TT. And I could put that thing anywhere I wanted. If you need 88 degrees to back a 5th wheel then you have no business towing a 5th wheel. I got my first 5th wheel last fall and backed it up the drive, around the turn and next to the garage the same as I did with my TT. I think its actually easier than my TT
I will post a picture, if you can back in my driveway at only 88 degrees I'll pay for your trip to do it. But you must stay on the asphalt. There is always exception to the rule, has nothing to do with the driver, more of the area need to acomplish the task.....Send me a PM when you will be here, tell you what we can post it on u-tube also..... It just can not be done and I drove tractor trailers in the US ARMY.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #34

Unfair game. You don't "need" to stay on the asphalt. You "prefer" to.

As to opinions, yes, we all do what we feel is right for us. I think the only thing people take issue with is saying that if you don't do it your way, disaster will absolutely 100% strike when others are just fine doing it the opposite way from you. Maybe you do in fact need to do it the way you are doing it. Maybe others wouldn't with the identical setup. As was stated, it's all opinion and what works for the individual.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #35

Quote:

As to opinions, yes, we all do what we feel is right for us. I think the only thing people take issue with is saying that if you don't do it your way, disaster will absolutely 100% strike when others are just fine doing it the opposite way from you. Maybe you do in fact need to do it the way you are doing it. Maybe others wouldn't with the identical setup. As was stated, it's all opinion and what works for the individual.
Took the words right out of my mouth! And the fact that you drove tractors in the army doesn't weight any more than the average guys that went to truck driving school. Those OTR truckers who log hundreds of thousands of miles a year probably have more driving and maneuver experience than you could ever hope to get doing a stint in the Army. Thanks for your service though. And I would be happy to come down and put that fiver anywhere you want.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #36

Quote:

No Town Ordinance say's I do, any damage such as tire marks or skids are charged and ticket. They respect peoples private property here. My offer still stands if you do not go over 90 degrees you will not park in my driveway. But that is a reason for me to go with a slider first and sidewinder on this unit. I have no problem here I'm happy I will not be stuck because I couldn't go over 88 degrees.....

Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #37
Silverbacker

I have a 2015 Silverback (29IK) and pull it with a 2014 F250 Diesel Crew Cab with a Reese Elite hitch mounted to the factory installed 5th wheel package. I HAVE contacted the cap with the cab of my truck backing it into my indoor storage space (flat floor). I can't tell you how many degrees I was at because I didn't get out and measure, but it did make contact. Fortunately no damage was done. I now keep a close eye on it while backing and have had no other issues getting into tight spaces. Just saying that it CAN make contact, and it's up to you to decide if you want to have the extra leeway a slider provides.
silverbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #38
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacker View Post
I have a 2015 Silverback (29IK) and pull it with a 2014 F250 Diesel Crew Cab with a Reese Elite hitch mounted to the factory installed 5th wheel package. I HAVE contacted the cap with the cab of my truck backing it into my indoor storage space (flat floor). I can't tell you how many degrees I was at because I didn't get out and measure, but it did make contact. Fortunately no damage was done. I now keep a close eye on it while backing and have had no other issues getting into tight spaces. Just saying that it CAN make contact, and it's up to you to decide if you want to have the extra leeway a slider provides.
Now this sounds like it clarifies the OP's concerns! Thank You.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #39

Quote:
No Town Ordinance say's I do, any damage such as tire marks or skids are charged and ticket. They respect peoples private property here. My offer still stands if you do not go over 90 degrees you will not park in my driveway. But that is a reason for me to go with a slider first and sidewinder on this unit. I have no problem here I'm happy I will not be stuck because I couldn't go over 88 degrees.....
LOLOL. You honestly just gave me the biggest laugh of the day. Town ordinance...LOLOLOL Oh, and just checked the specs on your trailer. I take back what I said. You absolutely should keep the tires on the asphalt (without a slider) being such a short 5ver.

PS: I thought you announced yesterday that you were leaving this debate/thread and moving on?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacker View Post
No one ever said you couldn't contact your cab without a slider if you weren't paying attention. You could also contact a tree with your front bumper if your not paying attention. How foolproof life needs to be is based on the end user...