Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #1

250 4x4 Diesel to pull a 31RK Cedar Creek Silverback ??

I am looking at an F250 4x4 Diesel to pull a 31RK Cedar Creek Silverback.
They weights seem fine for the F250 Diesel. Do you think I need to put a slider hitch in?The wheelbase is 156" which means the box is the medium sized (I think 6 1/2'. )
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentf View Post
I am looking at an F250 4x4 Diesel to pull a 31RK Cedar Creek Silverback.
They weights seem fine for the F250 Diesel. Do you think I need to put a slider hitch in?The wheelbase is 156" which means the box is the medium sized (I think 6 1/2'. )
Ford short beds are 6'9". That trailer has a contoured front cap to allow for short bed towing without a slider. You'll be fine with a standard hitch...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #3

Anytime I have sold a fifth wheel to a customer without a 8 foot box I recommend having the slider attachment UNLESS the hitch is a Reese Revolution in which a sticker would be on the kingpin. If you value the cab of your truck, i would get the slider attachment.
Dangreatoutdoorsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangreatoutdoorsrv View Post
Anytime I have sold a fifth wheel to a customer without a 8 foot box I recommend having the slider attachment UNLESS the hitch is a Reese Revolution in which a sticker would be on the kingpin. If you value the cab of your truck, i would get the slider attachment.
I value my cab and never even came close to worrying about hitting it with a modern contoured cap RV. Most will net you 88 degree turns. People say, well 88 isn't 90. I guess they never towed a long travel trailer. I had a 36' unit a couple of rigs ago. I'd take a big 5ver with 88 degrees over that thing backing in any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I agree on the Reese Sidewinder though. If you were nervous and wanted extra insurance, I'd install a Sidewinder over buying a slider 100%. Nothing to forget. Install it and done...
Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Also remember on a flat parking lot turn 88-90 deg is normally not a problem. When backing uphill or on a decreasing radius turn (think most CG trying to find your spot and you have never been there) yes to the slider. An auto slider would be best as it will work without having to think about it, in the rain, in the cold, etc.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Also remember on a flat parking lot turn 88-90 deg is normally not a problem. When backing uphill or on a decreasing radius turn (think most CG trying to find your spot and you have never been there) yes to the slider. An auto slider would be best as it will work without having to think about it, in the rain, in the cold, etc.
Towed the last 40' rig over 10k miles and stayed in tiny sites all over New England and Canada. Never even came close to worrying. I guess it's the driver's level of confidence that dictates need as I certainly never "needed" one? They are made and sold for a reason though but like I said before, if you feel you need one, go Sidewinder...
Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

I have a sliding hitch in my truck, I have only used it once just to try it out. However having it there for that one time I might get in trouble. Priceless..
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #8

I run the Pull Right with Morryde pin set up. I like it so I do not have to get out to slide it. It will do a 90 degree angle. Although, the first time I backed it sharp, DW was at the back guiding me back. I watched it do its movement with out any issues.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #9

Slider

I have a F250 short bed and I just installed a Hijacker auto slide and man it has worked great.
They recently changed the sliding bar to lock the king pin to a wrap around lock. And the price was great.
I installed it myself.

alayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

The silverbacks towing with at least 6.5 foot truck bed you will not need a slider. I never did
Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #11

I have pulled without a slider but it feels so much better watching the camper move away from my truck when I am turning with a slider.
alayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #12

I use my slider every time I pull into my dead end street and turn around. With a short box truck it is better to have it and not need it. 300.00 for a new back sliding window, I know from experience. The Cedar Creek does have a more concave nose than my sterling. Getting out to pull the lever is really not a big deal but if I were to do it again I would get a auto slide.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
X'2 This is what people forget either slider or sidewinder period. If you are on uneven ground you will hit that cab.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

Remember the original question was about silverbacks not about sliders in general. Silverbacks you willnever need a slider as long as your bed is 6.5. I back up grades all the time no problem.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
X'2 This is what people forget either slider or sidewinder period. If you are on uneven ground you will hit that cab......
Um, wrong. I never used either on any 5th and never hit my cab or even come close. Again, the word "need" is way overused when it comes to RV equipment. MANY things that would simply be nice are touted as "needed" on the forums when it's just not the case. Often by those who have never gone without said nicety and are just going on what others have told them. Can my cab hit my trailer? Sure, if I'm not paying attention. My truck can also drive into a tree if I'm not paying attention. Life isn't foolproof. However, if you have the funds and desire for something to make it more so, then more power to you. Just don't call it a necessity when many go happily without...
Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Um, wrong. I never used either on any 5th and never hit my cab or even come close. Again, the word "need" is way overused when it comes to RV equipment. MANY things that would simply be nice are touted as "needed" on the forums when it's just not the case. Often by those who have never gone without said nicety and are just going on what others have told them. Can my cab hit my trailer? Sure, if I'm not paying attention. My truck can also drive into a tree if I'm not paying attention. Life isn't foolproof. However, if you have the funds and desire for something to make it more so, then more power to you. Just don't call it a necessity when many go happily without...
That's your opinion. And I don't use anything to much or overused. If your on uneven ground and backing up you will hit a short bed cab period. Had a slider and still do with my first 5th wheel and and still do with the sidewinder. I would rather have it then not. Your paying 1000,00 0f dollars for a truck and camper that can turn at 88 degrees max. YOU Could go ahead and cheap out now to save 200.00 and get caught on a road single lane and turn it around over 90 degrees you will wish you had it if you need it or not. I could really care less about your opinion, but that's my advice to the OP. I don't think it was directed at you at all. His truck His trailer no hype here.....

Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #17

Quote:
That's your opinion. And I don't use anything to much or overused. If your on uneven ground and backing up you will hit a short bed cab period. Had a slider and still do with my first 5th wheel and and still do with the sidewinder. I would rather have it then not. Your paying 1000,00 0f dollars for a truck and camper that can turn at 88 degrees max. YOU Could go ahead and cheap out now to save 200.00 and get caught on a road single lane and turn it around over 90 degrees you will wish you had it if you need it or not. I could really care less about your opinion, but that's my advice to the OP. I don't think it was directed at you at all. His truck His trailer no hype here.....
Do you have a silverback
Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
It's not at all an "opinion." It's a fact based on over 10k miles of towing my last rig over the last three years. Never hit my cab once backing up or on uneven ground and here in New England we have some of the oldest, smallest, toughest to navigate campgrounds in the country. Never even come close. So, conversely from what you posted, your facts are indeed unfounded opinions as MANY people do the same as I and never hit their cab. I think your confusing the need for a slider with hitch height adjustment. Have 6" of clearance between bed rails and your 5ver and you're not hitting anything backing up a hill. Long or short bed, slider or not, you'll hit with too little clearance...

Oh, and this has nothing to do with "cheaping out" as you put it. I love to spend money and love gadgets. Just can't abide waste on something that isn't needed.

As for the needing more than 88 degrees, you really need more practice if you can't get out of ANY situation with 88 degrees to play with. Try a travel trailer of the same length that can't turn anywhere close to 88 degrees. Done that too without issue as my last TT was over 36'. (Made my last 40+' 5ver felt short by comparison.) Again, I think a slider or Sidewinder is a great option for those who need a help to compensate for lack of skill or experience. Or perhaps for people who have a hard time focusing or remembering to keep close watch on things. Nothing to be ashamed of. I'll say it again though. Just call it a requirement as it isn't...
Old 02-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
Do you have a silverback
No and a Silverback has nothing to do with it if you can only turn 88 degrees you are going to get caught one day going down a road that you will not be able to turn around on. Grew up on semi and flat beds. Been trained by the best US ARMY..... Turning that baby around on a single lane road that your GPS took you down by mistake. That's my Opinion, there are also other manufactors that claim the same thing. Take a look at some of there damaged caps and dented cabs because you fell for the hype.. By the way I'm answering the OP not you or anyone else. He doesn't have to take my advice. Sure haven't heard from him yet. ONLY PEOPLE who disagree with my opinion. I'm not sure what the distence is between the pin and cap but where your hitch is located in a F250 is only 3' from the center hitch to the cab. What is the measured distance from the pin to the cap? On the Silverback you keep quoting?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
No and a Silverback has nothing to do with it if you can only turn 88 degrees you are going to get caught one day going down a road that you will not be able to turn around on. Grew up on semi and flat beds. Been trained by the best US ARMY..... Turning that baby around on a single lane road that your GPS took you down by mistake. That's my Opinion, there are also other manufactors that claim the same thing. Take a look at some of there damaged caps and dented cabs because you fell for the hype.. By the way I'm answering the OP not you or anyone else. He doesn't have to take my advice. Sure haven't heard from him yet. ONLY PEOPLE who disagree with my opinion.
I heard from the OP via PM who thanked me for my thoughts a couple of times including a few minutes ago.

As for "hype" and damaged cabs, anyone can feel free to look at mine. Bad logic there really. Because something can happen to a small amount of users does not mean it will happen to everyone. Blanket statements don't help anyone...