Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
As for resale? Have no idea.
This sounds snotty and isn't meant to- I didn't buy my truck thinking of resale, I bought it because it's what I felt that I needed for what I wanted.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #22
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

For us, it wasn't a brain strain to come up with the fact that....

6 tires on the ground vs 4 have:
  • Better traction in "reduced traction conditions" (add 4WD and it's even better)
  • Better stopping during emergency stops
  • More lateral stability (less sway) during cornering, evasive maneuvers, unexpected side load conditions (wind, road crown etc)
  • Increased safety margin in the event of a rear tire failure (result of redundancy)

The truck is no wider than the mirrors (and we have regular mirrors, not "tow mirrors" and is no more difficult to drive than any SRW we've driven.

One more thing. A Dana 80 axle with 4 wheels is a lot more heavy duty than nearly all rear axles on SRW configurations.

I'm not bashing anyone else choice, I'm just saying this is why we chose a 4x4 DRW 1 ton diesel truck with ABS disc brakes on all 4 corners and a B&W Companion setup. $$$ doesn't enter into the equation, because (being a former mechanic), we researched and chose a vehicle we could afford and fix or repair (daily). We got all this "benefit" (perceived, or otherwise) for less than $12,000 and it was only 2 years old and in stock, excellent condition.

Personally, though... we *LOVE* the new Dodge DRW's! Just can't afford one.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #23

2500 SRW vs 3500 DRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This sounds snotty and isn't meant to- I didn't buy my truck thinking of resale, I bought it because it's what I felt that I needed for what I wanted.

Not sure why it sounds snotty, that wasn't my intent. Simply put I think there are too many factors to say a DRW will have a higher resale than a similar equipped srw. The diesel option will guarantee a higher resale regardless. I think overall condition and options will determine that more than the DRW option as it is for a target audience. I also did not buy mine for resale either. Just bought what I wanted and needed.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Not sure why it sounds snotty, that wasn't my intent. Simply put I think there are too many factors to say a DRW will have a higher resale than a similar equipped srw. The diesel option will guarantee a higher resale regardless.
Not you! I didn't mean you. Sorry!!!

I meant with me writing it- it's exactly how I felt. I just couldn't figure out a better way to write it.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Not you! I didn't mean you. Sorry!!!

I meant with me writing it- it's exactly how I felt. I just couldn't figure out a better way to write it.

Oh, no big deal.lol
Old 01-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My 2500 Chevy was very capable, but marginal by payload standards with my camper. The DRW ride is more harsh than than my 2500 was empty, but with camper weight, they ride nearly the same. The biggest differences I notice are in lateral movements and large "rolling" bumps (construction dips/bridge approaches). I added airbags to 2500 which helped some, but seemed to add more rebound in other situations. Bigger or additional shocks would probably help. With a DRW there is more traction when you have the weight, but I notice less traction when empty, especially on packed snow and ice, I wouldn't have a DRW in snow without 4x4. Since the youngest of my teenagers is now driving, my DRW is now my daily driver. With long bed, crew cab, 4x4, and DRW, you take turns just slightly wider, you can make most fast food drive thrus without scrubbing your tires, but it takes practice. Parking garages are a hassle, mainly because the spaces are tight and I don't want someone beating my truck up. If you get DRW, get back up sensors or camera, I've backed into a couple of my own cars from kids parking right behind me and not seeing them in mirrors.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #27

There is no question a drw is better for towing more stable less bounce ect. However is a drw best for your situation, only you can answer that. Just something to think about my family camps 70 to 80 days a year which is alot i think, but even with camping that much 90 percent of the time the truck is running empty. You know you tow the trailer for a few hours and then it sits for a weekend or a week. For me i can't justify a drw unless towing for much greater distance or towing heavy 2 to 3 times a week. Also any of the new 1 ton srw will give you payload of 4k and towing capacity of 16k. So buy what suits your needs best and good luck what ever you decide.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #28

I prefer wider hips when I tow heavy. Just for the 'push' factor of the trailer. From many years of driving tractor trailers, dump trucks, fire engines, ladders and ambulances, I like having a stable stance while towing. The wider the rear, the more stable she is when loaded heavily. Many agree, some disagree, but that has been my preference. Will the 3500 SRW do it? Yep. You already know the 2500 needs help with bags, but it will PULL it fine and mostly likely stop it fine. If you are one that goes by ratings, I think that has been pretty well covered. It is up to what teh buyer wants and feels comfortable with. Even if he wanted another 2500, it is ultimately his decision. I am now, I once wasn't before driving the other rigs mentioned, a numbers person. I believe in being as safe as possible and towing within ratings. The main reason, my family travels with me. NOTE: I am not saying that you guys are not being safe by any means, I am just saying that if I was involved in an accident, that I had every piece of equipment rated to tow what I was towing. After 27 years of being in public safety has made me realize that I want to leave nothing to chance. Good luck with you guys' decision and send up pics of what you get. We ALL love pics, whether we drive 4x2s, 4x4s, SRWs, DRWS, extended, crews, longs or shorts! We all have truck envy!
Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #29
Toy-aholic

I have no problem getting mine through my 9' door...it's the length of my crew cab that won't fit std. garages.

I noticed no more "suck over, push away" syndrome when semi's passed me when I replaced my SRW with a DRW.

Going from 3/4 ton to 1 ton is a substantial difference in PA registration fees though.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I'm still amazed at this setup and surprised you don't get pulled over constantly. By your specs (boat being 4500-5k, this sounds high to me), you're over on payload, GCWR, and length(75'+?)(in most, if not all states). It's evident your truck is able to pull this, but I would think the liability issue would most certainly come into play should you be involved in an accident, and would hate to think how any type of quick evasive maneuver at highway speed would end. Be safe!
Just so you'll have the specs. Remember you have to add the added electronics and all the options that I have plus 66 gallons of gas and most rips home I have 30+ gallons of water in the live wells plus all the fishing gear my wife and I have.

NITRO Boats : Z Series Boats : 2014 Z-9 Specifications

Would you feel better if I took the doors off and put doors from a 3500 on it?
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #31
Oklahoma Proud

Op. Around here in OK, a dually diesel 4x4 will bring a much better return apon resale. We are in farm/ranch country and oil fields so if you can find them for sale they move quick.
Just got to remember to check the air pressure on the inside tires and or watch for even pressures! Best to you on your (or dads) upgrade!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #32

Quote:

Understood, however, whenever I make a transaction; I try to give every aspect full consideration. I do so because, I've been blessed financially and with that comes the ability to make moves when I desire. So a newer model may catch my eye and I may want to trade in. So far, by squeaking when I walk, I've made great deals on my vehicles. And I've always had a philosophy of, "get in the vehicle right and you can get out of it when you want/need to." So that's why I was asking.

V-Dub
2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide CVO - V&H HO's & PC-V
V-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500