Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #1

277HW unstable tow?

Im interested in the rockwwod 277 HW but have heard from 2 different people that the HW is unstable on the highway, need feedback as I am buying soon. thanks ECT.
ecturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

What do you mean by unstable? If you mean that the trailer sways you can install a friction sway control.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

That is a loaded question, sorry I haven't towed or owned such a unit, I have however towed just about every type of trailer out there, and every time I've had an issue with unstable highway towing it has been due to unbalanced loading, (too much weight in front of or behind the axel(s). I have had to pull over and reload the trailers. It can be very scary to find yourself towing a rig that develops a sway at highway speeds, this can whip your trailer and TV around, and you will do your self a great favour by slowing down smoothly, (don't slam on your brakes or hit your trailer brakes hard with the hand controller) and pulling over to find out what is wrong.

I have also seen others have issues trying to go way too fast, or towing with a very short wheelbase vehicle. I have witnessed jackknives in front of and beside me as well as a pop up that turned on it's side behind a jeep (high CG and short WB) at 75 MPH in the passing lane. That was probably way more about the driver and the speed than the stability of the trailer but i don't think this would have happend at that speed with a tandem axel peterbuilt and a triaxel 53' trailer loaded with lead.

If your dealer won't let you hook up that trailer to your TV and take it for a decent drive down the highway don't buy it from them and find one that will.

If you aren't experienced with towing try to get a friend or family member to go with you on that test drive, and take a turn at the wheel, and give you some tips when you take your turn. That will help you make a decision.

I have found that larger trailers with more axels have more at stake and therefore get built with better suspension, frames, hitches etc, so most of my bad experiences have been with smaller trailers (like pop ups) single axels can be very unruly, But they don't have to be. A sway controller can help and I have used them in the past but I'm not a fan of a tow set up that requires one to tow smoothly, these can fall off in transit and then what are you going to do.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Site Team

sounds like those comments are from people not familiar with towing.
that's a big popup and some think you don't need a WDH or sway control with a popup.
but sway control is always a good idea and depending on the tow vehicle, a smaller WDH might be needed.

would need to know more info about the 2 you got the comments from.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

Thanks to all for the opinions on the Rockwood HW. The dealer did let me take it for a test drive with my F-150 and had no issues. Looks like Im buying. We are going back to a Tenter after owning a TT, Enjoy the "tent" feel. Thanks again ECTurner.
ecturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecturner View Post
We are going back to a Tenter after owning a TT, Enjoy the "tent" feel. Thanks again ECTurner.
Good for you. We love the tent feel, too.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecturner View Post
Thanks to all for the opinions on the Rockwood HW. The dealer did let me take it for a test drive with my F-150 and had no issues. Looks like Im buying. We are going back to a Tenter after owning a TT, Enjoy the "tent" feel. Thanks again ECTurner.
have you looked at a hybrid? i think they cost close to what a HW popup costs. that way you'll get a TT with canvas ends for the "tent" feel.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #8

The bears like tent campers too. Al hit the nail on the head as it is usually just a loading problem. If too much weight is behind the tires it will sway. Yes helpers do just that but need to adjust the load.
guy
guy driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #9

I have the HW277 and have towed it with my Nissan Armada and Ford Excursion. No problems with either. The only tine I know it's back there is under acceleration or braking. Get it, you'll love it.
LionInTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
daydreaming about camping

Assume that is the same as my flag hw27sc. Tows like a dream. Would not hesitate to tow it to Florida at highway speed any day of the week.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote