Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #31

I looks to me like on your third weighing you may have had your rear truck tires partially touching the first scale. I would do that weighing again. There is no other way to explain these numbers.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #32
Canadian Member

Your tickets are showing that the WDH is adding 300# to the front axle and almost 2/3 of the transferred weight is coming from the trailer axles.

IMO, if your setup brings the front fender back down at least half of the amount it raised w/o the WDH (but not lower than unloaded) and the trailer is sitting level, that’s what you want the WDH to do. If your TV is below its GVWR and it’s axles are under their GAWR then you’re good to go.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #33

How does the CAT scale give tongue weight? I saw on the spread sheet you had it listed but I thought it was just per axle and over all weight?
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #34

kk5fe, it's a bit of arithmetic. GVW of TV (first two scales) with trailer but, without WDH minus GVW of TV only. Without WDH, the difference of the unhitched weight and the hitched weight is due to the weight on the tongue.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2012 F150 5.0L Scab
mawilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post
kk5fe, it's a bit of arithmetic. GVW of TV (first two scales) with trailer but, without WDH minus GVW of TV only. Without WDH, the difference of the unhitched weight and the hitched weight is due to the weight on the tongue.
Ahh.... ok understood. Thanks for the explanation.
Iíve read of folks removing the bars for certain measurements.
Iím not that comfortable in doing that. I believe without the bars attached would exceed the manufacture specs of the hitch on the truck.
Iíve seen some youtube videos of using a bathroom scale and a fulcrum of sorts to get the front end weight. Although that way isnít exact..... but close.
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk5fe View Post
Iím not that comfortable in doing that. I believe without the bars attached would exceed the manufacture specs of the hitch on the truck.
Like then fall apart and break off? If you can't do that then your trailer is way too big for the truck.

I found out after 60k miles that my factory dodge hitch wasn't good enough for 1500 lb toung weight. It didn't break off but slowly was bending over 60k miles of towing... a trip around the parking lot won't hurt you without bars.

Updated hitch and new double shank stinger fixed it all no further issues.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #37

Thanks from a CAT Scale virgin. We have had our previous 40' Class A weighed multiple times at Escapee Rallies. We get "full" weights and then "4-wheel" weights so we can improve load balance.
We now have a new Isata 3 Series 24FW and want to weigh it.
At CAT scales I suspect we can't get individual wheel weights but can we do separate re-weighs for front axle and rear axle?
Today I weighed our 2006 Honda CR-V - 3,620 lbs. -- to determine "curb weight" for hitch tiwing 4-down.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrvers View Post
Thanks from a CAT Scale virgin. We have had our previous 40' Class A weighed multiple times at Escapee Rallies. We get "full" weights and then "4-wheel" weights so we can improve load balance.
We now have a new Isata 3 Series 24FW and want to weigh it.
At CAT scales I suspect we can't get individual wheel weights but can we do separate re-weighs for front axle and rear axle?
Today I weighed our 2006 Honda CR-V - 3,620 lbs. -- to determine "curb weight" for hitch tiwing 4-down.
Cat scale usually has 3 pads. Front rear and trailer setup for 18 wheelers typical length. Most pickups and trailers can also make it work. Right and left might be hard to accomplish as they usually are in truck stops and have lots of traffic control. State scales with small stations around me have just a single pad and i know of one gas card lock that is a pad in the middle of a parking lot. So look around call around vs just CAT. Fyi at a CAT scale you can ask for multiple re-weighs that are discounted for each after the first full price weigh but you need the first weigh ticket number. Sometimes you can go in tell them what you want to do to make trips inside fewer.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #39

Has anyone encountered a CAT scale that thought was out of calibration? The reason I ask is This past Saturday I went to my local CAT scan to get the weight of just my TV, a 2018 Silverado 2500 HD, Dmax, CC, 4x4, 6.5í bed, the weights I received have me scratching my head. It was just my wife and I with a full tank of fuel, the front axle weight was 5020# and the RAW was 3460#. The steer axle weight seems a bit much to me. Does it seem that way to anyone else?
jenandrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandrand View Post
Has anyone encountered a CAT scale that thought was out of calibration? The reason I ask is This past Saturday I went to my local CAT scan to get the weight of just my TV, a 2018 Silverado 2500 HD, Dmax, CC, 4x4, 6.5í bed, the weights I received have me scratching my head. It was just my wife and I with a full tank of fuel, the front axle weight was 5020# and the RAW was 3460#. The steer axle weight seems a bit much to me. Does it seem that way to anyone else?
Not familiar with the Silverado's, but yeah, the front's gonna be heavy. Diesels are heavy engines.

Tags
cat, scales