Old 10-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #1

2nd visit to CAT Scales

Just made my 2nd visit to CAT Scales and wanted to share results for all those interested. I've attached a spreadsheet (actually, a docx of a spreadsheet...didn't find xlsx available to upload...user error?) that has both the 1st and latest measurements included. The conversation after the first visit can be found here:

No longer a CAT scales virgin

Here are a few major changes/additions to my rig since 1st visit:
* Installed Jack-It bike carrier on the tongue
* Moved 2 bikes out of truck bed to Jack-It carrier
* 6 ton bottle jack stowed in trailer
* BAL X Chock stowed in trailer
* 235 lb. passenger plus personal gear in truck
* I'm now using 10 links on the Blue Ox

Below are a few observations from the 2nd visit:
* Truck axle weights are well within limits
* Truck GVW is only 60 pounds from being over GVWR
* GCW has some capacity left but with GVWR so close, I'm about maxed with this rig.
* Trailer axle weights are 20 lbs. combined over. I'm not going to worry about this but I've certainly hit a limit that I'll have to consider maxed at this point.
* GVW of trailer has very little room left as expected considering GAW's but are under none-the-less. Yet another indicator that I've hit a limit.
* 660 lb. tongue weight has increased from 1st visit but still well centered in limits...and is well within my 750 lb. Blue Ox spring bars.

Overall, I just completed a 750 mile trip from N. Florida to Lake Lanier above Atlanta and back and the rig handled beautifully. Plus my mileage was 11.8 for that trip...not too shabby.

BTW...let me pass this on re: CAT scales procedures for any CAT scales virgins:
* Pull right in and get your first measurement
* Park your rig and enter the store to pay for your first weigh and receive your weigh slip. Explain that you will be coming through for 2 RE-WEIGHS.
* Prepare your rig for the first re-weigh.
* Enter scales and tell the attendant that you want a re-weigh for ticket number "1234" (substitute the 4 digits in the lower left corner of your weigh slip for the ticket number above. These 4 digits will be the last 4 digits of the ticket number found on the top of the weigh slip.)
* Prepare your rig for the 2nd re-weigh.
* Enter scales and tell the attendant that you want a re-weigh for ticket number "1234" (same weigh slip number as before).
* Park rig and see attendant to pay for and retrieve your 2 re-weigh tickets.

The first weigh cost me $11 last week. The 2 re-weighs were $2 each.

All comments welcomed. Hope this is found to be useful. Thanks again to ependydad for Towing Planner - towing capability calculators!
Attached Files
File Type: docx cat_scales.docx (14.3 KB, 71 views)

windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Youíre welcome!

Old 10-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Some CAT scales you can use the app on your phone, you set it up ahead of time with your profile and credit card.

When you get to the scales, just open app, enter cat scale number (listed right there on the post) hit "weigh" and your all set (takes about 3 minutes to complete)

It will let you know the weights right on the app, and also email you the copy. Never have to leave your vehicle. If you so desire you can still go in to retrieve the paper copy.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #4

kamper00, that sounds easy enough. How does it differentiate between the initial weigh and re-weighs? I only ask from a cost standpoint as the initial weigh for me last week was $11 and the re-weighs were $2/each.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
kamper00, that sounds easy enough. How does it differentiate between the initial weigh and re-weighs? I only ask from a cost standpoint as the initial weigh for me last week was $11 and the re-weighs were $2/each.

Thanks for the info!

I donít think it does them.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

Good info. I hit the CAT scales and the people working were sooo confused by what I was trying to do I felt as if I was speaking a different language.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #7

I am not sure how it differentiates between it, the cost to me was the same, $11 and $2, when I went to just weigh the truck it was treated as a re-weigh.
Maybe because I came back to weigh the truck within a certain amount of time.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #8

Well, that's cool! I'll have to give it a try next time. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
Good info. I hit the CAT scales and the people working were sooo confused by what I was trying to do I felt as if I was speaking a different language.
And to think those people deal with truck drivers every day! That must be real confusing!

Days camped in 2015--180 days--2016--95 days
2017--107 days & counting

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave, New GY Endurance tires 7/17,TV-2015 Duramax with over 120,000 miles, with delete done, 2014 Polaris RZR 800 EPS/ 5000 miles
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
Some CAT scales you can use the app on your phone, you set it up ahead of time with your profile and credit card.

When you get to the scales, just open app, enter cat scale number (listed right there on the post) hit "weigh" and your all set (takes about 3 minutes to complete)

It will let you know the weights right on the app, and also email you the copy. Never have to leave your vehicle. If you so desire you can still go in to retrieve the paper copy.
Wow, that's cool! Didn't know about that.

Tags
cat, scales