Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 3,766
Well, some folks posterior is more sensitive than others I suppose. And some brands and years just ride better than others. Also tire types can make a difference.

My 3/4 ton Chevy HD ride is not much different than my half ton. Both are daily driver short beds. Of course tires are adjusted accordingly when not towing. I've always thought Chevy rides better than the other two. But that's just me.
__________________

__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
I had an older 2500GMC with the 6.0, while it was a great truck in regards to reliability ( except once when it left us on the side of the road when the fuel pump crapped while towing our TT)

I was a little dissatisfied with it for two reasons:

1. It got maybe 9 miles to the gallon while towing....with the engine off...downhill...with a 60 mph tailwind. 12MPG when unhooked....terrible mileage

Seriously it had 3.73 gearing on a 4L80 4 speed transmission, it would be down to a half a tank of fuel in 120 miles when towing.

2. The uphill battles with the TT was no fun at all, lots of RPM's involved


Maybe some of my bias came from going from a diesel to a gasser....and now full circle

My .02 worth, IF I wasnt done with gassers I would look at the f-150 ecoboost if the tail wont be wagging the dog in your setup up, if it is take a look at the 6.2 hemi ram....heck it would be nice if you could hook up all the big three and try them out with your TT

2500 chevys 6.0 never came with 3.73 but only 4.10 and still do . Agree the mileage when not towing is bad best i can get is 14.75, towing about 9 which isn't bad
__________________

MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 422
3/4 ton advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Open for anyone, please define "Serious RVer" and the correlation to needing a 1 ton truck.

My point.....

My next door neighbor has a 2017 35' Grand Design Solitude and a 2017 3500 Ram Cummins that make for some beautiful lawn art. Paraphrasing his statements: "It's the greatest combo and we could travel the country and easily live in it"......but they don't. They have used their trailer a total of maybe 15 nights since February '17.

On my side of the fence, we purchased our travel trailer in June of '17 and towed it with an F150 ecoboost that we already had. Due to a growing family (2 to now 3 kids and they don't stop eating) and wanting a safer margin on payload, we got a F250 6.2L. Our trailer is a 24' bunkhouse with 2 slides that we use often. Since buying it, we've spent over 50 nights in it, not including the incidental driveway campouts that the kids like to do. Our commitment of RVing is 1 weekend a month Mar-Nov and (2) 1 week trips per year. So far, we've hit that mark and then.

This is where when you make statements in the internet you have to be very precise on wording. What I tried to say, not so eloquently, is that a serious Rvíer, is someone who is in the game for the long haul and I congratulate you for making that time with your family. I think when you buy a truck (Iíve made plenty of truck mistakes and some people would say Iíve made another one on my latest purchase) itís hard to imagine youíd trade up for another truck to haul a heavier RV. But most folks do, over time.

And we all know there is not much difference physically between a 2500 and 3500 same options etc. Seems weíve got bigger as gotten older and really at a time where we donít have kids and friends camping with us as much.

But maybe in the end you are right, I trade RV usually on a 6-8 year cycle. Trucks Iíve traded or sold quicker than that,so if I need a different truck in 5 years, like a duelie, well Iíll probably get it and then start arguing one can put a Popup on a SRW unless you got a duelie (of course Iím not serious about that statement).

We have went up and down in usage in our lives, sometimes 50 nights plus and other times we were lucky to get 10 nights because of work or our sonsí school schedule.

I had a great 2008 Ram MegaCab 2500. I thought all this talk was ridiculous back then when all a 3500 had was an extra leaf spring. It may be a bit more complicated now but not much. But I still recommend if you are going new even though you donít need it now get a 3500.

Not for the trailer you have now that doesnít require it but for the next one that catches your whimsy. So donít think I donít know about that Ford 6.2 nice setup. I know thereís always been divide over these issues and I can see both sides point. Really I just wish when I had that MegaCab it would have been a 3500. I probably be driving it. Amazing Truck.

But it had a payload because of that MegaCab of like 1825 lbs in the 2500 and like 3000 in the 3500 configuration.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
2rad4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Well, some folks posterior is more sensitive than others I suppose.
That's a much nicer way to say what I was thinking!

What has happened to us?
__________________


Chris / 2019 Rockwood 2608BS / 2018 Chevy 2500 HD Z71/LT 6.0 & 4.10's

16 nights and a whole bunch of great memories in 2018
5 nights so far in 2019!
2rad4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
MT Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Warwick, RI
Posts: 260
Sorry if my comment offended the macho crowd, simply adding my opinion.
Please, by all means get back to the diesel >gas, 1-ton>3/4 debate it has been thrilling....
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/westshorerailway/

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #96
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post


As a new 3/4 Ton F250 owner that is equipped with the Lariat package and snow plow / camper prep package about the only thing I can add to this long ongoing conversation is that if this is going to be your primary daily driver, make sure you really absolutely and positively need a HD truck.
My reason in saying this is that the ride going from a nice and cushy 1/2 ton RAM with soft squishy coil springs all the way around to the big bad I can tow just about anything HD truck.... sucks ass.
I am fortunate that my HD truck is not my daily driver (still pounding the snot out of my 06 Tundra, which rides better than the 250) and all I am really going to use the HD truck for is towing and peaceful weekend drives on hopefully smooth roads so I can enjoy my ridiculous expensive toy that I wanted.
My 1500 RAM rode like a Cadillac compared to any manufacturer HD truck, and when my daily driver needs replacing I will be going back to another 1/2 ton RAM.
Just curious why you went with the Ford 3/4 ton instead of a Ram since you liked your 1/2 ton Ram . When I upgraded from 1/2 ton Ram Laramie to 3/4 ton Ram Laramie I drove all 3 brands of 3/4 tons . I felt the Ram had the best ride and best looking interior of the bunch . Plus the 8.4 inch Uconnect system was the best out there . I also paid $3k less for the Ram over comparable Ford Lariat and $1k over comparable Chevy.
Teamster4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
MT Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Warwick, RI
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamster4life View Post
Just curious why you went with the Ford 3/4 ton instead of a Ram since you liked your 1/2 ton Ram . When I upgraded from 1/2 ton Ram Laramie to 3/4 ton Ram Laramie I drove all 3 brands of 3/4 tons . I felt the Ram had the best ride and best looking interior of the bunch . Plus the 8.4 inch Uconnect system was the best out there . I also paid $3k less for the Ram over comparable Ford Lariat and $1k over comparable Chevy.
I really wanted a RAM, but I also wanted an 8í bed and no local dealers within 200 miles of me had anything I wanted.
With whatever the new version of the RAM HD will be that is being introduced Monday it will not be available until sometime this summer and with many dealers giving good deals (especially on trade in) I wanted to get something now.
Plus I really like the extended cab look on the Ford, I really wish RAM would bring this cab option back on the HD series but I donít see that happening.

Donít get me wrong, I like the F250, it has everything I was looking for and even a few things I didnít even think I wanted until I got them in this truck!
It is just a big ride difference going from 1/2 ton trucks that I have driven since 93.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/westshorerailway/

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 AM   #98
Multi-Slacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 622
I guess I'm just different. When I went out to buy a truck I prioritized things by importance. My list was:

1) - Payload
2) - Price

That's as far as the list got, Never occurred to me to factor in ride or fancy tech. Of course, the new truck is pretty much a one trick pony - it pulls the TT and that's all it does. Since my wife now does the driving, we go slow and easy and the gasser gets us right up the hills. We aren't afraid to pull over if we're holding folks up. For a $10K wallet hit and a 1K payload hit we do not need a diesel although we do look at the nice easy in and out for the big rigs with a bit of wistfulness. Since this is not the military everyone gets to march to their own drummer. As long as everyone is safe and having fun, then it is all good.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sonoma 280RKS
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / Class V Hitch
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:46 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
BigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
I had an older 2500GMC with the 6.0, while it was a great truck in regards to reliability ( except once when it left us on the side of the road when the fuel pump crapped while towing our TT)

I was a little dissatisfied with it for two reasons:

1. It got maybe 9 miles to the gallon while towing....with the engine off...downhill...with a 60 mph tailwind. 12MPG when unhooked....terrible mileage

Seriously it had 3.73 gearing on a 4L80 4 speed transmission, it would be down to a half a tank of fuel in 120 miles when towing.

2. The uphill battles with the TT was no fun at all, lots of RPM's involved


Maybe some of my bias came from going from a diesel to a gasser....and now full circle

My .02 worth, IF I wasnt done with gassers I would look at the f-150 ecoboost if the tail wont be wagging the dog in your setup up, if it is take a look at the 6.2 hemi ram....heck it would be nice if you could hook up all the big three and try them out with your TT
The ratios on that old transmission required 2nd gear for pulling a load up hills but its hardly useful to make a relevant comparison to today's trucks...If memory serves the last time that transmission was used in a 2500 truck was 13 years ago...

If you disliked the ratios on that old truck you probably wouldn't like the transmission ratios on the Ram with the 6.4, as the much weaker on paper GM 6.0 (with the 6L90) will outperform that truck pulling grades.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
2500 chevys 6.0 never came with 3.73 but only 4.10 and still do . Agree the mileage when not towing is bad best i can get is 14.75, towing about 9 which isn't bad
Actually the 6.0 was available with 3.73's for more years than not...I think the last year you could get either was 2014.
__________________
17 Chevy 2500 DC Long box Gasser Z71 4.10
18 Vengeance 28V
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
The ratios on that old transmission required 2nd gear for pulling a load up hills but its hardly useful to make a relevant comparison to today's trucks...If memory serves the last time that transmission was used in a 2500 truck was 13 years ago...

If you disliked the ratios on that old truck you probably wouldn't like the transmission ratios on the Ram with the 6.4, as the much weaker on paper GM 6.0 (with the 6L90) will outperform that truck pulling grades.





Actually the 6.0 was available with 3.73's for more years than not...I think the last year you could get either was 2014.
I believe the 3.73 was only offered with the diesel not the gas 6.0 which has the 4.10
__________________

MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.