Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
is there anything from the Big 3 that makes a certain HD gaser better than the other?
Chevrolet of course

Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
is there anything from the Big 3 that makes a certain HD gaser better than the other?

I know its all subjective, all personal, and they are all probably "good".

I have had 2 F150s Ecos with no issues (beyond recalls). First traded at about 80k and my current one (purchased new) now has 43k.

My late father has had a suburban (tranny went out at 90k) and a GMC Yukon XL (tranny went out little over 100k)- both of these were used to tow a 7k TT

A 2012 Expedition V8 (used to tow a 8500, 36' TT- yes, don't criticize!)- Mom still drives it, no issues. has 115k on it. Purchased new in 2013.

2 F150s (1 5.0 and 1 eco) both traded off at 100k without issue

He was on his 3rd F150 when he died.

My wife has a 2018 Chevy Traverse that has had constant transmission issues and its less than 7k miles. Dealer gives the classic response "its not acting up" when we take it in. It makes it difficult for me to want to look at GM trucks.

I do not honestly know anything about Ram. I have only heard "they are awesome" or "they suck". I do really like the way they look, especially the interiors. I certainly plan on checking them out before I make any decision as well. I am not a big fan of their back bench seat and the hump in the floor. I am used to the flat floors offered in the F series. I also love all of the cup loaders Ford gives you. It doesn't sound like a big deal but when your wife brings 7 things to drink at once on a trip, it is a big deal.

My go to was an F250, and I have driven one. This, like the OP, is the daily driver also at about 15k miles a year, 5k of it towing. Most highway miles.

I can get a used Ram for cheaper than a used F250. Also if the Ram rides smoother that may be a better option as well. I just have no experience with the durability of the Hemi engines and their transmissions.
All depends on payload. Which option truck can carry the most.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
All depends on payload. Which option truck can carry the most.
Want comfort and class look at the F250 King Ranch. They are a very nice truck and I donít think the ride cane be beat. Been buying them since the 80ís love them. Have had diesels however, 2019 I changed to a gasser. Loving it.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #44
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I always laugh when people say the Chevy 2500HD's ride rough...

Mine is smooth as silk...unless I'm off-road with it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RM5510CumberlandPassTruck-PA111434.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	837.7 KB
ID:	194213   Click image for larger version

Name:	RM5510CumberlandPass-PA111427.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	554.1 KB
ID:	194214  
2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver, Reese 16K Pro Slider Hitch
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear end
Old 01-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I always laugh when people say the Chevy 2500HD's ride rough...

Mine is smooth as silk...unless I'm off-road with it!
Like a Cadillac!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #46
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
Want comfort and class look at the F250 King Ranch. They are a very nice truck and I donít think the ride cane be beat. Been buying them since the 80ís love them. Have had diesels however, 2019 I changed to a gasser. Loving it.
If you're buying a Super Duty / HD pickup for the extra payload, and you want the King Ranch trim level, you might want to forget about a F-250 and go up to the F-350. All that bling eats too much payload capacity. Same thing for a diesel engine. If you can afford the bling of the King Ranch and/or the diesel, an extra $1000Ī to upgrade to the F-350 won't be difficult to handle.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 01-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If you're buying a Super Duty / HD pickup for the extra payload, and you want the King Ranch trim level, you might want to forget about a F-250 and go up to the F-350. All that bling eats too much payload capacity. Same thing for a diesel engine. If you can afford the bling of the King Ranch and/or the diesel, an extra $1000Ī to upgrade to the F-350 won't be difficult to handle.
I will be getting WT/XL/Tradesman level, with a max possibly (if the deal is really good) of LT/XLT/SLT. Don't need anything fancy. The base models I have driven so far still have power windows & locks, heated mirrors, bluetooth connection for my phone, backup cameras (I think they are legally required now) and trailer brake controllers. That's all I really need.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
I liked the interior of the high country chevy. She serves me well. 2700lb payload works just lose payload with a high option truck, so added airbags and no issues.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #49

One other truck too look at with what your towing is the gas version of the Nissan XD titan, not quite a 3/4 ton truck, but not a 1/2 ton either. They are calling it a 5/8 ton, but if you look and compare the numbers to the gas 3/4 tons they are right in the same area except bed load capacity. I left the house about 3 months ago ready to by a 2018 F250 XLT crew cab gas truck, drove it and priced out my best deal from a local dealer that I'm friends with. I also have a friend that works at a Nissan dealership, so I went too look at the XD, after looking at the numbers and driving it, I really liked it, so he let me take it home so I could pull my camper to try it out. It was just as stable as my 04 F250 was, by the way I have a 30ft KZ tow hauler that weighs about 8500. After running the numbers the XD was 8K cheaper for the same optioned out truck, since then I have towed my toy hauler on 2 trips about 1500 miles, it pulls as stable or better than the F250, yes my previous truck had more power since it was a diesel, but I'm very happy with the XD

Good luck
Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbctmc View Post
I will be getting WT/XL/Tradesman level, with a max possibly (if the deal is really good) of LT/XLT/SLT. Don't need anything fancy. The base models I have driven so far still have power windows & locks, heated mirrors, bluetooth connection for my phone, backup cameras (I think they are legally required now) and trailer brake controllers. That's all I really need.
When looking at lower trim levels consider the Ford 250 XL with the STX package. It dresses up an XL nicely and is almost always package discounted. Add in the power convenience group and you have a nicely but not overly equipped truck, at an affordable price, and a healthy payload of over 3200lbs. with the 6.2.

Closed Thread