Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #51

What I find interesting are the many 3/4T trucks with the tiny 1/2T style mirrors. Why would you not change them out to OEM camper mirrors? Fairly easy swap! I see a bunch of the clip on mirrors...poor excuse for a mirror after I used them a few times on an older truck. On my 1/2T F-150, I ordered the truck with the camper mirrors.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
When looking at lower trim levels consider the Ford 250 XL with the STX package. It dresses up an XL nicely and is almost always package discounted. Add in the power convenience group and you have a nicely but not overly equipped truck, at an affordable price, and a healthy payload of over 3200lbs. with the 6.2.
The lower trim and higher payload is a selling point for sure. Even my '16 steel body f250 in my signature has a payload of 2766. It was quite an increase from the 1529 payload of my f150. The '18 XLT I looked at had a 3200 payload.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
What I find interesting are the many 3/4T trucks with the tiny 1/2T style mirrors. Why would you not change them out to OEM camper mirrors? Fairly easy swap! I see a bunch of the clip on mirrors...poor excuse for a mirror after I used them a few times on an older truck. On my 1/2T F-150, I ordered the truck with the camper mirrors.
Yeah,my 2010 f-150 I got with the max tow pkg with the towing mirrors. All the 3/4 tons I have driven havehad the towing mirrors also. I won't buy one without them.
dbctmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #54
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

The slide on mirrors have improved immensely in the last few years...

The old clip-ons are so 1990's!
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The slide on mirrors have improved immensely in the last few years...

The old clip-ons are so 1990's!
What I am talking about are the stupid Cipa mirrors. PITA. I used them twice.

Like I said before, best money spent is put in some OEM mirrors even if the truck comes with the dinky mirrors. Then you get power adjust and sometimes power fold.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #56
Multi-Slacker

Quote:

Like I said before, best money spent is put in some OEM mirrors even if the truck comes with the dinky mirrors. Then you get power adjust and sometimes power fold.
Just sold the CIPA mirrors we tried for the Tundra, Now I need to sell the power mirrors that came with the truck. We replaced them with real, extensible mirrors from eTrailer. On the Chevy, anyway, they aren't tiny - just don't stick out far enough for towing.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / Class V Hitch
CurtPutnam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbctmc View Post
I will be getting WT/XL/Tradesman level, with a max possibly (if the deal is really good) of LT/XLT/SLT. Don't need anything fancy. The base models I have driven so far still have power windows & locks, heated mirrors, bluetooth connection for my phone, backup cameras (I think they are legally required now) and trailer brake controllers. That's all I really need.
I didn't like Ford's Sinc system and I didn't try any techno stuff out on the Ram.

You can get nav with any of the trucks but I really like (love) plugging my phone into the Chevy and projecting my Google maps, drive or Waze onto the trucks screen and being able to change directions by just talking to it. I also have a gps running so I can have a couple routes going at the same time. All that might sound excessive to some but I like driving (we have a habit of covering a lot of miles in a day) and it allows the wife make changes to routes at the last minute while still having a current route actively guiding us. (sometimes we change plans on the fly)

The wifi in the Chevy is nice too...the wife can look at a potential gas station or restaurant from space/Google maps on a tablet/phone to check out access. -no unwelcome surprises.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #58

Quote:

Yep, I am running the clip ons and hate them, however, to upgrade to the factory ones for my F150 is $1500... I am going to upgrade truck at some point before I spend that to do the mirrors. That was the first thing I looked at when we decided to get the TT, but, the $40 clip ons let me see enough and I take them off when not in use. Not for nothing, but, the ford factory non-towing mirrors are awful anyway. Very bad visibility in my opinion compared to my previous RAMs.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #59
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
I didn't like Ford's Sinc system and I didn't try any techno stuff out on the Ram.

You can get nav with any of the trucks but I really like (love) plugging my phone into the Chevy and projecting my Google maps, drive or Waze onto the trucks screen and being able to change directions by just talking to it. I also have a gps running so I can have a couple routes going at the same time. All that might sound excessive to some but I like driving (we have a habit of covering a lot of miles in a day) and it allows the wife make changes to routes at the last minute while still having a current route actively guiding us. (sometimes we change plans on the fly)

The wifi in the Chevy is nice too...the wife can look at a potential gas station or restaurant from space/Google maps on a tablet/phone to check out access. -no unwelcome surprises.

Good luck.
I know you said you didn't like Ford's SYNC system but I am able to do all the things you mentioned in my 2017 F-250 SD.

Like you, being able to plan a route and casting it to the center screen is a nice way to travel. We also often travel with with other couples so once at the destination, 4-6 folks traveling in our truck is not unusual. The WIFI allows everyone to pick points of interest (and get us there) and the 120v power points keep the laptops running too!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #60

comparing a Ram to a 250, it looks like the 250 has about 10" more in wheelbase over the Ram. It is about 12" over in overall length than the Ram too. Does anyone think this will aid is slightly more towing stability?
The shorter length will certainly bit in the garage better....

2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Equalizer
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote