Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
3/4 Ton Chevy Duramax ?'s

I am looking at upgrading from my 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton diesel. I have a wildwood la 32bhbs GVWR of about 10500 i think which is a little taxing on my current truck. Loaded we are about 8500ish TT. The current truck is a 5.3 w/3.73's

My questions is how many miles can you expect out of a diesel motor? I am looking at an 08 chevy duramax w/ 89000 miles. Is that alot? It was a one owner truck. The guy was a crop adjuster w/ mostly highway miles. Basically for 3 grand i can go from my 08 1/2 ton LTZ to an 08 3/4 ton diesel LTZ. I am assuming my white knuckles will be gone and i will again enjoy going to and from the campground. Just looking for some info before i make the jump.

Anything you guys can give me for advice or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: This is also my daily driver. Will i be happy with the mileage/daily driving of a diesel vs what i have?

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Make the JUMP , just have it checked out by a good auto maintenance shop, the engine is good for 250K -300K miles or more with proper maintenance. Get everything checked that you would on a normal 3 yr old used truck before you buy it. You will be amazed in the towing difference between what you have and a 3/4 Diesel.

2011 GMC 3500HD 4x4 Crew DRW Duramax
Pullrite 20.5K
2012 Sierra 365SAQ
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"
My Dad has over 185,000 on his 07. He had it in for a couple of recalls, and just in the last couple of weeks, he has been having some glow plug issues. But until then, it has been great for him. He delivers trailers (TT's and 5ers) from the factories in Elkhart to various places, so he has racked up a lot of hard earned miles. Oh, and he also tows his own 5th wheel. It's been a good truck for him and these glow plug issues just popped up. Otherwise, it's been great.
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
I've joined this site & have found lots of info on my duramax here. This is my 2nd year of owning this truck & very pleased with it. We have a car also but make the truck my daily driver.
Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Ken & Janet
'07.5 GMC 2500 D/A CC/SB
'09 SABRE 31RETS-6
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
with only 89000 miles it is just getting broke in and the fuel milage will get a little better. I have seen people getwell over 300000 miles out of their diesels. I just read about a guy who has a 2002 Ford One ton dually He uses to tow Trailers from the Factory to the Dealers has Gotten well over 1 Million miles on his truck. It just a matter of taking care of them Properly Most Trucks/cars will last along time if you care for them I had a 1977 Ford F-150 for 22+ years and put on 265000 miles with the original motor and never did anything but change oil and sparks on it.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Remember though that the motor might just be getting broken in, but the rest of the truck as 89Kmiles on it. While that is not a great amount of miles it is still 89K on things like brakes, bearings, tie rod ends, etc etc,etc. If you do buy it be prepared to get it to a good alignment shop and have the entire front end inspected and any worn parts replaced. Same goes for things like brakes, coolant, hoses and belts. In other words be prepared to invest another 2 grand just getting it back into shape. You might not spend that much, but then again if the original owner never spent any money on repairs you could be stuck with a hugh repair bill.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
89000 miles is nothing on a 3/4 ton truck. I agree that you should probably get the front end checked out, but the likelihood you'll have to spend any money on it at those miles is slim unless it has been wrecked. I say go for it. You'll be glad you did. The difference in how it will pull your trailer is like night and day.
Mike in Tennessee
Former 2 time FR owner
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30QB Fifth Wheel
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
You will be happy in the towing department.

As far as mileage for a daily driver I can only offer that I get 15 plus mpg in town and 18 plus highway mpg. After reading everything I could find concerning diesels and potential repairs I decided to get warranty when I bought mine. I would suggest one, as you will only have 10,000 miles left on the GM Powertrain warranty. One diesel repair will pay for the warranty cost. I got the longest one they offered as I expect to keep mine for quite a while.

Mileage aside, going from a 08 gas LTZ to a 08 diesel LTZ for 3 grand is not bad. The miles are not high for a diesel, I think they are a little high for the vehicle, but not bad.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Well....Got the Dmax! Can't wait to hook up the camper and pull! The power unloaded is amazing compared to what I had without a trailer! Thanks for the help! I have a feeling I will not be disappointed!

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote