Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Where in the heck did I ever say to exceed the GVWR of a vehicle? You people always go off on that tangent. There are two things I said 1) All pick-up's are tested to the SAE J2807 towing standards (read them) and 2) The federal Government dictates the GVWR of a vehicle for License Enforcement, not safety. Debate that.

Go read the federal Register and educate yourself.
Your statements about gooberment dictating weight limits and that the OEM recommendations are based on that alone is to imply that they can be ignored and one can just go beyond it to whatever level they think is right. Yes, you didn't say to do that, but your statement could be used as justification for someone to do so. So it was not a tangent, but a reasoned counter argument.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Your statements about gooberment dictating weight limits and that the OEM recommendations are based on that alone is to imply that they can be ignored and one can just go beyond it to whatever level they think is right. Yes, you didn't say to do that, but your statement could be used as justification for someone to do so. So it was not a tangent, but a reasoned counter argument.
Take for instance my Ram. I have the 5.7 and a given GVWR of 9000#. Why is it not 10,000# which the Ram with the 6.4 has? Identical truck, different motor. Granted, I pretty well adhere to 9000#, but given a 6000# rear axle, and an upgraded front to 6000# with the snow prep, why am I handicapped by 1000 pounds? I wouldn't be afraid to go to 10000. My fifth wheel with 2000# pin weight only sits my truck 1 3/4".
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #43

Curious, seems the J2807 standard is a newer standard. My truck being a 2006, was that a time when the manufacturers each had their own set of standards? If so how did the testing of years past compare with J2807?
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #44

I think you have a good question but to find a answer beyond speculation will be difficult. There may be some historical published articles on the internet.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #45
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
Curious, seems the J2807 standard is a newer standard. My truck being a 2006, was that a time when the manufacturers each had their own set of standards? If so how did the testing of years past compare with J2807?
Toyota adopted the standard somewhere around 2010 then it was about 2015 or 2016 that the other brands started to adopt. As of today they all use the J2807 standard.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #46
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
Yes, they made up their own standards.

And no idea on comparison as it was proprietary information.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #47

Forgive me if I missed it, but I don't think I saw a mention of GCVW (Gross Combination Vehicle Weight) GCVW will dictate how much trailer you can safely pull with your truck. GCVW is determined by many different aspects of how your truck was built. For instance a diesel is usually rated higher GCVW than the same exact build over gas. A gas truck with a lower rear end gear is rated higher GCVW than a higher rear end gear.
So how does GCVW affect trailer pulling capacity? First you need to find the exact GCVW of your truck. Like I said it can differ from truck to truck even of the same model. Then you need to know exactly what your truck weighs loaded with a full tank of fuel and everything and everybody that will be in it when pulling a trailer. Then you can determine how much trailer you can pull.
My truck, 2007 Silverado 2500HD 3/73 gears...gas, has a GCVW of 16,000LBS and according to the manual can pull 10,400LBS. Note most manuals say can tow up to a certain number. The number varies depending on the weight of your truck. My truck all loaded and configured for towing weighs 6500LBS with my wife and I. So that means my max towing is 9500LBS. Note that is 900LBS lighter than the advertised can pull up to number since my truck has many things added that it did not have off the production line. My wife and I for starters, a full tank of fuel, sides on my truck, step bars, back rack, etc.
So forget how much your trucks manual says it can pull up to and find its GCVW. Then subtract the weight of your truck when all configured and ready to tow, including all passengers from the GCVW. Now you know how much you can tow.
All that being said, some states require combination titling once you exceed a certain GCVW. Here in PA it is 16,001LBS. However here in PA starting Jan of 2017 RVs are exempt from combo titling but must still stay at or below their GCVW.
Almost forgot. Remember what you read in the rest of this topic. After all that you can not exceed any weight rating for your axles, hitch, and trailer axles. I have weighed my old TT many times, I live less than a 1/4 miles from a Pilot. One time my GCVW was 16,500lbs, ut oh! All my axles were legal and actually according to those weights I could have added 1000lbs to my truck, but I was over 16,000LBS. I had a weeks worth of firewood and the FW tank was full. I just took my time getting to camp knowing I would shed a 1000LBS in firewood alone in the week there.
After we pick up our new Hemisphere 272RL I will weigh it the day I bring it home. I want to be sure the weights are good with my Hensley Hitch installed and the bars adjusted the same as our old TT. I am actually hoping to add some weight to the front axle of my truck. With our old TT and the weight bars adjusted all the way the front was about 100LBS lighter than when empty. With the different lay out of the Hemisphere and being about 500LBS lighter out the door I'm hoping to add to the front axle.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #48

Kamper 00

Bedfore the SAE standard they all had personal standards.

The rating was for a standard truck. No fuel, people, dogs, cooler, fifth wheel hitch, no bed, no tailgate, no spare tire, no trailer hitch, two wheel drive, two doors. 1 bench seat, standard transmission, no radio, no options of any kind. . Any truck that stuff adds up to thousands more. I bet 3-4,000.

Towing was based on on if it could get to 55 mph likely with a load.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Kamper 00

Bedfore the SAE standard they all had personal standards.

The rating was for a standard truck. No fuel, people, dogs, cooler, fifth wheel hitch, no bed, no tailgate, no spare tire, no trailer hitch, two wheel drive, two doors. 1 bench seat, standard transmission, no radio, no options of any kind. . Any truck that stuff adds up to thousands more. I bet 3-4,000.

Towing was based on on if it could get to 55 mph likely with a load.
..you forgot to include no power windows no delayed wiper option and no cruise control

(the above describes my first vehicle...gee I feel old)
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #50

In the 70's I drove a local truck for a contractor.

A 1 ton dually with a stake bed and no options except the bed.

Granny low 4 speed.

I was tired after driving all day.

By four o'clock I had to use two feet on the brake.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #51

Get to some scales then use this work sheet.

RV Weight Calculator | 5th Wheel | Gooseneck | Safety Report
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, towing capacity, truck