Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #21

3/4 ton vs 1 ton 6.4 hemi fuel economy

There will be no negatives regarding a 3/4 vs 1-ton SRW. Close enough to the same truck for your concerns raised here.

The main question I see for you is the 6.4 mileage. That should not vary between a 3/4 vs 1-ton, so it is simply a matter of that gasser or not.

I have a new F250 with the 6.2 gasser. In mixed city/hwy driving without a trailer, I average around 12. Straight hwy I can get around 15. Speed can vary this number greatly. Towing my 11,000 lbs Travel Trailer on the hwy I average around 5-7, depending on speed and terrain (flat vs hills).

I would expect the 6.4 to be similar.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectorslg View Post
Do yourself a favor. Get a diesel engine. I have a 2004 Dodge 3500 short bed that I bought new. It has the Cummins with auto trans. It was a go brained for me. I pulled a Raptor 5th wheel with my full dresser in back. I also put the Juice with Attitude chip controller . I pass Class A's and semi's like they are standing still going up mountain roads. All the power plus. Checkout the Dodge with the Cummins.
I just dont need the extra expense and upfront cost with the diesel.. Would love to have one, but I really have zero justification for owning one.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I'll rarely be in the mountains towing..But are you with a 3:73 rear end?
Yes I have the 3:73 rear end. No problem with power towing. Like you noted the one thing I don't like about these trucks is the transmission shifting mainly between 1st and 2nd but I can live with it. Love everything else about the truck.
dan4jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #24

Well my wife and I did a five week trip across country and we got 15 mpg.pulling the 5'er with a full dress Harley in back. Truthfully. I get 21 mpg around town without the trailer.
Inspectorslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #25

Quote:
I just dont need the extra expense and upfront cost with the diesel.. Would love to have one, but I really have zero justification for owning one.

That is a big problem with these threads... especially on this forum. The diesel guys will ignore the OP's question and try to push a diesel for everything. In their minds, there is no justification for a gasser.

You can tell them 100 times a diesel is not a consideration... and they'll parrot "you should really get a diesel." Their feelings are easily hurt as well, so go easy on them. [emoji846]

Diesels have their place, but so do gassers. Lots of pros and cons of each.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #26

I'm not PUSHING anything. I'm just giving you my view. I don't care if you drive a lawnmower. Just telling you my good luck with a diesel. Some people may not know about it. So keep your pants on.
Inspectorslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectorslg View Post
Well my wife and I did a five week trip across country and we got 15 mpg.pulling the 5'erwith a full dress Harley in back. Truthfully. I get 21 mpg around town without the trailer.

Bahahahahahahaha!!!
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #28
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Our dealer here has about 8 in stock 3/4 ton 6.4 your dealer should be able to do a trade with them if they have the right truck your looking for. Not that far to travel to buy either. Check out there web site Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM & Subaru Cars for Sale in Cumming GA, Near Atlanta, Alpharetta, & Roswell GA - Troncalli Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #29

Sometimes the better mileage will cover the cost of a diesel in the long run and your gonna get twice as many miles on a Cummins or Duramax then any gas engine . Power Strokes I have no faith in . Sorry Ford guys got too many friends in service at Ford dealers .
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #30

new wrinkle

Just read that the MegaCab 3500 (ONLY that trucks) has the 6.4 detuned to 360 hp.. Now Am i looking at the Meg cab or Crew Cab? The truck I am looking at has the 8 ft bed, so it "Should " be a crew cab which means it gets the 410/429 version of the 6.4, instead of the 360 / 429 version of the 6.4 ..I mean come on, make one engine, sheesh!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Sometimes the better mileage will cover the cost of a diesel in the long run and your gonna get twice as many miles on a Cummins or Duramax then any gas engine . Power Strokes I have no faith in . Sorry Ford guys got too many friends in service at Ford dealers .
Yea I have ran those thoughts over in my head many times over the last 6 weeks or so..But it just doesn't equate to a benefit for the way I plan to use the truck.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #32

Once a guzzler, always a guzzler. No hemi is noted for fuel efficiency.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Once a guzzler, always a guzzler. No hemi is noted for fuel efficiency.
Hahaha! That would be an awesome Bumper Sticker on most Any truck!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #34

My take on fuel prices is, always plan for the worst because, at some point in the future it's going to be expensive again and all the gas (and diesel) guzzler owners will be crying the blues at the fuel pump....again.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #35

Do what you gotta do!!!

I don't know that you realized what one of the 1st replies said but a 3/4 Ton is a twin truck to the 1 Ton truck in newer trucks. The only difference is on the rating stickers they put on the drivers door. Might be an occasional taller spring block on a 1 ton. I would check with my insurance agent as to rates for 1 ton vs 3/4 ton also. Check with Motor Vehicle in your state for registration and licensing cost differences. There may even be DOT differences for safety appliances, but I would check 1st. I am one of those happy campers who went from 1/2 ton gasser to 3/4 ton diesel, but that is likely not for everyone. I tried to stay generic, but give you an idea of other things to look into.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #36

5.7=9000# GVWR. 6.4=10000# GWVR, therefore, 1000# more payload. I have a 2500 with a 5.7 and about 2300# payload. Pulling an 8500# FW I get about 7 to 8 MPG. If at all possible, the 6.4 is a better option. More payload, more towing capacity, and not a big drop in fuel economy unloaded. It may be better than the 5.7 loaded because its a purpose built truck engine with more torque available in the towing RPM.

Edit: I don't think it was mentioned, but the 2500's have rear coil springs. The 3500 still use leaf.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #37

wrinkle number 2

didn't pay much attention first test drive went back tonight and took a longer look when I wasn't on a time limit for work.. Noticed some holes drilled in the bed of the truck.. something had been mounted in it.. in the right front corner there are 2 holes about 1.5 inches in diameter and in the back little 1/4 inch hole drilled in a couple places..We talked money and they are giving me a Very good deal I feel on the truck, but I will need to get the bed patched, then I would simply throw a bedlinen in it and call it done.. but it does have me wondering.. the rest of the truck is immaculate,, hmm Ohh and Licensing, Ill have to get a weighted tag, which I DO NOT have now with my 1/2 ton.. Never even thought about that.. good call.
Im happy with the truck and performance,, and MPG's, well they are what they are.. So I'm going to make a few more calls tomorrow to check the local dodge shop about remaining factory warranty and about getting bed patched and if that doesn't seem like too big a deal I think Ill go for it.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:08 AM   #38

Quote:
didn't pay much attention first test drive went back tonight and took a longer look when I wasn't on a time limit for work.. Noticed some holes drilled in the bed of the truck.. something had been mounted in it.. in the right front corner there are 2 holes about 1.5 inches in diameter and in the back little 1/4 inch hole drilled in a couple places..We talked money and they are giving me a Very good deal I feel on the truck, but I will need to get the bed patched, then I would simply throw a bedlinen in it and call it done.. but it does have me wondering.. the rest of the truck is immaculate,, hmm Ohh and Licensing, Ill have to get a weighted tag, which I DO NOT have now with my 1/2 ton.. Never even thought about that.. good call.
Im happy with the truck and performance,, and MPG's, well they are what they are.. So I'm going to make a few more calls tomorrow to check the local dodge shop about remaining factory warranty and about getting bed patched and if that doesn't seem like too big a deal I think Ill go for it.

It will be interesting to see what was those holes drill for, it it a CC with a short bed, and also what gears do it have 3.73 or 4.10 gears and if you can get the 4.10 gears.

I'm like yourself I don't need a diesel so I order a 2500 6.4L with the 4.10 gears, my towing is 15,650 lbs and my payload is 3000 lbs. I also just got back from a long trip and have got 16-17 mpg unloaded and about 10 mpg so far.

Yes they do drink gas but I had a 2011 1500 5.7L and I get the same mileage with my 1/2 than with my 3/4 ton. They love to rev at a higher rpm tow but that's what all of them do, any gas.

My trailer is about 10,000 lbs loaded or maybe a little more but it tow it with no problem and yes even in the hills of the Pacific Northwest. I don't regret getting the gas hemi because unloaded it get good mileage, it does what I want it to do.

The 8 ft. bed and the Megacab your payload will go down of course but if you can get the CC short bed will be good, but if you need the long bed go for it.

The 3.73 gears the take off is going to be sluggish but the 4.10 gears is a lot quicker. I know I had a 2014 2500 5.7L 3.73 gears and now the 4.10 gears I love it. Let us know what you went with.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #39
Failure is my business

Quote:
No rear locking differential, Maybe higher trim levels have this?
This would be a deal killer for me. You will constantly be using 4x4 when towing. (The RAM locker is an option for all gear ratios but is required for the 4.10:1 ratio.)

Every dodge I've had without an lsd, I've ended up installing one as they just can't get out of their own way without smoking the right rear. Even my current RAM with the LSD will turn the tires from a stop when towing. (And I'm not talking about driving like a hoon.) If it's raining, forget it.

The 4x4 will help, but I prefer the locker.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #40

Brand new to forum and to travel trailer but had rv before.
Just bought 264 tracer, about same weight as you. Looking for truck now. Neighbor helped pick up trailer. 2013 dodge 3/4 ton with 6.2. We got 17 going there and 10.5 towing back. Three hour tow. Handled fine. He was a dodge service manager for four dealerships. He likee gassers. Been looking but cannot find a used 6.2?

Other neighbor towed me on a test run with 2017 Chevy duramax. Felt a little stronger, got 11.5 on about a 40 mile run.
All Florida pretty flat.

I am planning on a Harley in bed so I'm leaning at diesel but I must say the dodge 6.2 was impressive. Not sure why the are hard to find or how different the 6.4 is.
Tylerfoster is offline   Reply With Quote