Old 04-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I see more F250s and F350s around here than I do other brands. Second in place seems to be Ram trucks but very very few GM/Chevy, why is that?

I've had my '15 F350 for 2 months, 4400 miles, nothing broken yet other than my finances
Because you live in the wrong place??? LOL

In Arkansas, a farmer has a GMC/Chevy truck. Period. And I own a (tiny) farm, and wife was raised on it. I'm a Chevy man. Ford is king in Texas I hear. Town folks around here drive a few Rams........ but the farmers won't buy a foreign vehicle, so no Rams. And very few Fords, either. I looked at Ford when I got my Denali, but couldn't afford them.

But all 3 make good trucks. The differences used to be immense. Now, not so much. If a Chevy will do the job, that's what I'll drive. But I'll ride in any of 'em! I suspect it's whichever one will get you the best deal......because whatever Joe and Pete own, Joe and Pete will tell you is the best!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
which is the best Engine/Transmission combination for towing in the 3500 1 ton,
Dodge/Cummings----Duramax/Allison. At present I have the 2500HD Chevrolet with the Duramax/Allison..Looking to sell and move up to a 1 ton.
I had both. My GMC was polling better with the Alison on the 4/10 gear. I bought a Dodge with Aissin trans. It has a good warranty 295K KM. I had 3/75 gear. My dodge was suffering on hills. If you can get a 4/10 it would be OK. I was pooling a fairly heavy trailer Gross 17000. The Duramax had a B&D chip in it which I needed to overcome the hills. Both have good engine brake but I liked the dodge engine brake better how it controlled braking coming down steep hills. Both are good trucks. GM has a little better calibrated trans. then Dodge to the engine toque going up hills. Cummins has a better name then Duramax. Alison been around for a long time.
Hard choice.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervinglobal View Post
I had both. My GMC was polling better with the Alison on the 4/10 gear. I bought a Dodge with Aissin trans. It has a good warranty 295K KM. I had 3/75 gear. My dodge was suffering on hills. If you can get a 4/10 it would be OK. I was pooling a fairly heavy trailer Gross 17000. The Duramax had a B&D chip in it which I needed to overcome the hills. Both have good engine brake but I liked the dodge engine brake better how it controlled braking coming down steep hills. Both are good trucks. GM has a little better calibrated trans. then Dodge to the engine toque going up hills. Cummins has a better name then Duramax. Alison been around for a long time.
Hard choice.
Just to clear up one thing.....gm has only offered the duramax in the 2500 and 3500 with 3.73 gears since it came out in the 2001 models.
Now the 4500 and 5500 trucks were offered with different gear options
Old 04-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #14

The Aisin (eye-sin) transmission has been around since 1969. It started as a joint venture between Aisin & BorgWarner. In 1987 BorgWarner left the arrangement. Aisin is now the largest transmission maker in the world, bigger than the GM division. It supplies transmision to: GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Saab, Audi, VW, Volvo, Hyundai, Toyota. Toyota Motors and Aisin Seiki formed Aisin AW which is the source for RWD automatic transmissions to Toyota. (source Wikipedia)

Aisin transmissions were used in the Jeep back in 1987. Starting in 2013 the current day RAM pickup with a Cummins diesel, Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission (AS69RC) and American Axle Manufacturing differential make an outstanding drive train. Note not all RAM pickups come with the Aisin (AS69RC)transmission, only in the 3500 series, a $2,595 MSRP option.

This is not to say the Allison or Ford transmissions are inferior, which they are not by any means. But RAM now as a drive train combination that can run with the best of them. So far in 52,000 miles no complaints.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #15

I've owned all the modern diesel combos except the Aisin tranny. My 2010 Ram 3500 had the 6.7 with the 68RFE and never had issues but it seems like the ALLISON in the Duramax is just the best combo of them all. Partly due to the gearing and the tuning with the Duramax. Especially the 2011 and newer.

I can tell you this, the spin off tranny filter makes maintaining it an absolute breeze. 2 minutes and the filter swap is done. I do it every 15k and it cost my $14.

Today's modern diesels are all amazing with the power and towing capacities but like stated before, it is the emissions crap that will be an issues, if you even have any.

I deleted my last Dodge and Chevy and they ran better and got better mileage.

Enjoy.

This Saturday I will trade my 2014 3/4 ton Chevy 2500 to a 2016 1 ton GMC. This will be my 3rd Duramax/ALLISON combo and 4th gm diesel. In the ford and dodge department, I've only had 2 of each.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #16

Won't get in the mix here, love my Chevy Alison tyranny, would love to have the Cummins Diesel, but not to be. One thing I do not see on this forums is the farmers around here that pull big horse trailers are having major issues with the rear ends in the late model Dodges. Have not hear any negatives on Dodge rear end on fifth wheelers.
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 81
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
which is the best Engine/Transmission combination for towing in the 3500 1 ton,
Dodge/Cummings----Duramax/Allison. At present I have the 2500HD Chevrolet with the Duramax/Allison..Looking to sell and move up to a 1 ton.

Once you've been in a Duramax/Allison you won't like the dodge it don't get as good of mph and the trans. isn't anything like the no loss of torque of the allison mine shifts so smooth that i really have to listen to the rpm to know it shifted my 1 ton with a roll-up cover gets 24 on the hwy. without the 5ver and between 14 and 17 with it mine is a dually.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #18

In our small city it comes down to the dealer. With only one of each brand it gets difficult. Past experience with the Chev and GMC dealers were so bad that it narrows the search down.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
In our small city it comes down to the dealer. With only one of each brand it gets difficult. Past experience with the Chev and GMC dealers were so bad that it narrows the search down.
I actually bought mine on E-Bay they have a very good prices low mileage
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #20

Just traded in my 2011F250 powerstroke on a new 2015 Duramax. Had tranny issues, egr cooler and valve issues and poor braking (warp on brief heavy braking) on the F250. The Duramax has outstanding brakes and gets better mileage. There is a definite difference in shift points and smoothness of shifts in the Chevy. So far no issues. Did have one difference that required some work arounds. The Chevy was talller and the bed dimensions were different causing me to need to modify the pin box to get side bed clearance on tight turns with my slider.

Tags
3500, 500, dodge