Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
365 SAQ anb 2011 Silverado

I have done a lot of research, but not sure exactly where I stand, or even if I have a choice now that I have come this far. I have a 2011 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the 6.5' bed. I did the Duramax.

I have ordered a 365SAQ which has a dry weight of 11800 and a GVRW of 14060. The dry hitch weight is 2060, or so they claim.

My truck trailering guide straight from GM says it can tow 16,700 the way I have it set-up. Even if I overload the camper, which is doubtful since the dry weight is 11800, we're talking 5000 pounds, so that's not going to happen I would still be okay. The payload shows 3123 and they claim that with the weight of the truck and the driver included. The dry weight of the camper claims to be 2060. Of course, that's dry weight so that's bound to go up. I know I have to include anything extra I put in the truck, once again, truck, full fuel, and driver claim to be included in the 3123 available payload. I know my hitch weighs around 125lbs unless God gave me muscles I didn't realize I had because I loaded it and the rails into the truck on my own and I'm not that strong.

It seems like I should be okay, however close on the payload.

We are weekend campers, and usually take one or two road trips a year probably averaging around 1000 miles RT from home. All the weekend trips average about 50 miles RT. I am not looking to justify an underated TV, but I am also not looking to buy a new TV if I can safely tow what I have ordered and can provide better for my family as a daily driver then a 3500 DRW.

Is anyone towing with this model truck either at 355 or 365 that can tell me what they think about their experiences?

Anyone have input as to what they would recommend. No bashing me like I have seen in this forum when others are asking. I have looked at all the numbers, I think I stand just on the lower end of max payload. I know without a doubt I am not going to max out the truck's towing capabilities, I just think I am going to be close on the payload / 5th wheel hitch weight. There is a scale about 1 mile from the dealership so I can weigh my truck, and then weight it again after connected, dry, and then weigh after we load our belongings. We're moving from a 36' Montana TT.

cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
You should have no troubles pulling the 365 with the 2500. I have a 2006 2500 Silverado crew cab 6' bed with the duramax/allison combo, and it does just fine. You know that you have a big trailer behind you, but I'm very happy with the performance, all things considered. Would the 3500 be better? Sure, but I wouldn't necessarily run out and trade in the 2500 just because you're worried that it won't work.
The trailering pulling specs for the 2011/12 are much better than my 2006, so you should be in good shape.
I just picked up our new 365 two weeks ago, and the first thing I did was stop by the truck scales on the way home, and to get the three weights ( only cost me $12). The weights come out as follows:
Truck - 7560 (full tank, Pull Right 16k hitch, driver only in the truck):
Trailer - 13380 (full dual propane tanks, and I found out later that the dealer left about 1/3 fresh water )
Hitch weight - 2240

Rbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Thanks Rbonnell.

I had my hitch installed on Friday and after reading so much about this camper, went to the dealership after and we hooked up to a Big Country (only thing they had in stock with weight greater then the 365) to see how the truck seemed to handle the load. I didn't drive off anywhere since I am not worried so much about the total camper weight, but it was nice to see the truck handled the weight of the king pin effortlessly It squatted the truck about 2 inches down from unloaded, which is just about what my Montana TT does currently. I am feeling better about the trailer already. The dealer is expecting my 365 to be in August 10th, though they put a call into their Forest River sales rep and will let me know today or tomorrow for sure. We'll be heading on a 1200 mile trip on August 14th to Estes Park CO, so I am just making sure we should be okay. Nothing like making the first trip a longer one. I would normally just want to stay close and test everything out first but due to this previously scheduled vacation and a spontaneous purchase, that might not be happening (unless it doesn't come in on time and I will be hauling our Montana up there).

Thanks again for telling me how your truck handles it. I will weigh and post more info once I get the 365.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote

365, 365 saq