Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2019, 12:13 AM   #1

39 ft travel trailer with an F-150

No it’s not me! I own a 5th wheel and Ram CTD Dually. However just met a new co worker at a conference. He is selling his house relocating and going to live in a 39 ft travel trailer. Being an rv guy I thought good opportunity to make small talk and get to know him.

This is my understanding of his intentions. He has placed a deposit on a 39’ TT 500 miles away. He plans on retrieving it this week in his F-150. I know his truck has an eco boost but other than it’s red and has Sport edition or something of that nature on the the back corner of bed. I know nothing else other than he might be leasing it.

Again I tried to ask questions and give advice and he kept saying his wife was the one talking to the dealership. He also kept acting like he didn’t want to talk about or want my advice.

I threw out the Weight Distribution needed to have sway as well for trailer that long. That’s when he asked what that was. Before I could finish he told me the dealership was adding an auto level to trailer so he could tow level. I told him auto level was for when trailer was being set up not towed. He was firm in his answer of being correct. Not wanting to argue I dropped the subject but not before offering to tow it if he paid my expenses. Mostly because he appeared clueless on towing a trailer. He didn’t seem to interested in my offer. So I dropped it.

Today had some down time looked up 39’ travel trailers. Most appear to be park models and heavier than I was thinking the other night.

My question is anybody towing a travel trailer that long with a half to truck. I have come close but not quite that long or heavy. I don’t need the payload lecture because I don’t have that information. Just curious if it’s being done. Or do I need to risk the argument with someone I will be working with daily to impress upon them the possible outcome.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Always Learning

I’ve had this discussion in the past with people, you’re not going to change his mind. I think you’ve done enough already. Said some things, raised some concerns, and now you have to let that horse drink or not on his own.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:15 AM   #3
Site Team

i own a 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package and 1828lbs of payload capacity.
i would NEVER tow a 39' trailer with mine.
your acquaintance doesn't want to hear it. he'll just have to find out for himself or kill someone unfortunately.
and unfortunately he's not the only one. there are tons of people on the roads, that are towing way over their TV's capacities.
hopefully he'll get scared before he gets very far and wakes up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #4

That’s really bad.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #5

Best of luck to your friend. He will figure out you were right in the first hour.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #6

Come on; it’s an F-150 — with an EcoBoost, even. What more does he need?

Bruce
Old 07-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #7

Yes while I dread an almost 1200 mile round trip in one or two days I am willing. I know I pulled 31 ft (36 ft bumper to hitch) with a listed dry weight of right at 7k, with a eco boost. However I have been towing trailers since before I was legal to drive. My grandfather made me learn how to back all his trailers before I could drive on the street. 6 years in the USAF towing trailers of all sizes. I was hoping maybe someone had a trl that long that wasn’t a park model. Hopefully it works out . I am not fond of people poking their nose in my business and prefer not to do the same. Seeing the weight of the trailer makes me uneasy
Old 07-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
Site Team

Moose, since you live in Texas, I assume your friend will be making this pull somewhere in Texas. If so, please let us know WHEN/WHERE this trip will take place. I'm heading from north of Dallas past Amarillo in a few weeks and I might want to alter my route plans!

I'm sorry you're in this fix.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
Grammar Pedant

Just read up here on these forums. There are an infinite number of ways to justify a really overloaded tow vehicle. I agree with Mr. Dan and have written a similar response to several people on these forums: please let me know when and where you're towing your stupidly overloaded truck so that I can make sure to be nowhere near you!

Best case scenario is that (1) he has a newer F-150 with HDPP with enough payload/GVWR to handle the weight (that is, hopefully he's within ratings) and (2) he quickly learns that he needs a bunch of accessories like WDH, maybe airbags, and other stuff to add stability and control to his load.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

My new trailer is 30'-3" bumper to hitch and not nearly the weight being dis'ed here. I tow with with a 150 ecoboast yada, yada. When I was considering trading up to this unit I was concerned with towing it with a 150 and actualy began looking for 250 or up. Mentioning the intended larger trailer purchace to my ford dealer of choice, he said bring in my truck's vin and the new trailers specs. I did and he put the info thru a ford program that blessed my (as equiped) 150 being ok (and quite capable) to use with the trailer I was concidering. The dealer didn't try to upsell me and I was impressed. I guess living in a rual area were trucks actually work for a living has its benifits. I have since verified all the numbers to my own satisfaction.
Perhaps steering your acquantance to the TV truck sales guys might help. Hopfully they will be honest with him as mine was with me.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #11

I’m thinking it is going to look like this https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.eO5Z2...&pid=Api&dpr=2

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I’m thinking it is going to look like this https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.eO5Z2...&pid=Api&dpr=2
LOL!!! Exactly. I hope that once he is hooked up, it looks exactly like that. Then nobody has to worry, as he can't steer with his front end off the ground
But, having said that, I see worse than his predicament everyday on I10 through NM and AZ. Ever seen those guys from Mexico who buy two old vehicles, tow with one, and load them both up with more cargo than humanly possible? There will be three of four of these in a row, going slow. All vehicles on their bump stops and tires looking like they will pop any second. I rarely see any of them broken down on the side of the road, so they must get to where they are going.
Where there is will, there is a way.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #13

HHHAAAAA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #14

Towing a 39' Trailer

I have an F 150, 5.0L 4 x 4 with tow package. It carries a 9,300 lb tow limit. I pull a 32' TT with a 7,600 GCVW. Although the truck tows the trailer just fine, I would not want to go much longer or heavier than what I now tow. And I've been towing since 1974 - that's 45 years!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
No it’s not me! I own a 5th wheel and Ram CTD Dually. However just met a new co worker at a conference. He is selling his house relocating and going to live in a 39 ft travel trailer. Being an rv guy I thought good opportunity to make small talk and get to know him.

This is my understanding of his intentions. He has placed a deposit on a 39’ TT 500 miles away. He plans on retrieving it this week in his F-150. I know his truck has an eco boost but other than it’s red and has Sport edition or something of that nature on the the back corner of bed. I know nothing else other than he might be leasing it.

Again I tried to ask questions and give advice and he kept saying his wife was the one talking to the dealership. He also kept acting like he didn’t want to talk about or want my advice.

I threw out the Weight Distribution needed to have sway as well for trailer that long. That’s when he asked what that was. Before I could finish he told me the dealership was adding an auto level to trailer so he could tow level. I told him auto level was for when trailer was being set up not towed. He was firm in his answer of being correct. Not wanting to argue I dropped the subject but not before offering to tow it if he paid my expenses. Mostly because he appeared clueless on towing a trailer. He didn’t seem to interested in my offer. So I dropped it.

Today had some down time looked up 39’ travel trailers. Most appear to be park models and heavier than I was thinking the other night.

My question is anybody towing a travel trailer that long with a half to truck. I have come close but not quite that long or heavy. I don’t need the payload lecture because I don’t have that information. Just curious if it’s being done. Or do I need to risk the argument with someone I will be working with daily to impress upon them the possible outcome.
Way too much trailer for and F150 and most sport models only have the 2.7 ecoboost. Not enough motor or truck. I have a 35 foot trailer that is pushing the limits of my F150 with the max tow package and the 3.5 eco, if it wasn't for the equalizer 4 point hitch I would be afraid to tow it. There are only two of us and a 45 pound dog and we never come close to the 2400 pounds we can load into the trailer. I should be towing with at least a 3/4 ton and if I get another truck it will be a 1 ton.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #16
Retired Army MSG!

I have an F250 with 7.3
Don't even look at trailers that long. I will stick with my 32 foot 5vr
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #17

Basic rule

For myself and not meant to apply to anyone else:
Always use sway control and weight distribution.
The truck you already have is not enough truck.
Always tow a 5th wheel with a dually.
Air shocks or leveling does not increase cargo capacity.
Nothing weighs what they are spec’ed, once the load goes in.
Change the tires at purchase, don’t roll on China bombs.
No one really cares about your advise or experience. They know it all.
Do not believe anything the dealer salesman says, and STAY OUT OF CAMPING WORLD.

I am currently at a RV park where an 18’ Rv is hooked to a Sable. A 4 cylinder. Same old story. They are broke down, had to be towed it of the desert after climbing several steep hills, and are waiting for their car to get fixed. Underpowered, under-suspended, and overweighted.
They are lucky they didn’t kill someone.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #18

Most of the stereotypical statements in one post. Great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
For myself and not meant to apply to anyone else:
Always use sway control and weight distribution.
The truck you already have is not enough truck.
Always tow a 5th wheel with a dually.
Air shocks or leveling does not increase cargo capacity.
Nothing weighs what they are spec’ed, once the load goes in.
Change the tires at purchase, don’t roll on China bombs.
No one really cares about your advise or experience. They know it all.
Do not believe anything the dealer salesman says, and STAY OUT OF CAMPING WORLD.

I am currently at a RV park where an 18’ Rv is hooked to a Sable. A 4 cylinder. Same old story. They are broke down, had to be towed it of the desert after climbing several steep hills, and are waiting for their car to get fixed. Underpowered, under-suspended, and overweighted.
They are lucky they didn’t kill someone.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #19
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
This is exactly the reason why I mind my own business. If he hasn't already, he is soon in for a dose of reality.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #20

You did your best and got no thanks for it. He’s on his own. Going to be just a great coworker. Stay off the roads for a while.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer