Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Aggie Family

4-pt Equalizer WD Hitch with a Windjammer

I am picking up my new Windjammer 2618 next week and the RV dealer is going to install a 4-pt Equalizer WD hitch. Are there any clearance issues with the brackets for the WD bars to be mounted on the trailer frame since the front of the Winjammers extend out so far forward towards the hitch (i.e., front walls of the trailer come out and enclose the propane tanks)?
Thanks,
2Ags81
Rockwood 2618W
F150 157" WB, 3.73, Ecoboost
2ags81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

The Equilizer hitch should work fine on a Windjammer. I used one on my V-lite. It's a great hitch. Get the plastic pads for the bars to lay on. The hitch can be quite noisy. Theses pads really quiet it down.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

EQ Hitch

Have the EQ4. Towing a RLT3008W. Like the set up. Only real problem was at last campsite was 9 inches out of level side to side. So the one bar was a pain to release.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OLDDIGGERS View Post
Have the EQ4. Towing a RLT3008W. Like the set up. Only real problem was at last campsite was 9 inches out of level side to side. So the one bar was a pain to release.
I release the bars before leveling and set them after pulling off of the leveling blocks. I also release them before backing although you don't have to. I found it makes the trailer more responsive by not fighting the sway control.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
The Equilizer hitch should work fine on a Windjammer. I used one on my V-lite. It's a great hitch. Get the plastic pads for the bars to lay on. The hitch can be quite noisy. Theses pads really quiet it down.
Plastic pads? I never heard of these? Do they not interfere with the friction needed to assist with sway control? Where do they sell these and do they hold up to the force and stress of the WDH?

Vin.
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #6

The MFG.sells them, its for People who complain about the (whatever noise)they do state it (reduces) the Sway Control! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #7

The pads are called Bracket Jacket's and are an Equalizer product. Got ours at Camping World. They will not work with the L-shaped locking pins that have the built in retention clips. As for using it on a Windjammer--we have a 3008W--and works perfectly.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
Perma-Newb

Works perfect on our V-Lite. If it gets noisy put a dab of grease on the L -brackets it will quiet them down AND still work. Backing is no issue at all with the bars engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2014 V-Lite 30WIKSS, Diamond Package W/All the goodies

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50858_1.gif
EarlyRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

I've found that keeping the bars and "L" brackets in good condition - free of rust and dirt - is the best silencer. After some wear on each, I sand the friction areas lightly and spray some primer and paint on the effected areas. This "quiets" the setup and I don't have to worry about getting grease on the bars and I don't have to replace any plastic pads. It also restores the whole assembly to its original performance.

After all, doesn't the grease or the plastic jackets reduce the intended purpose? IMHO is does. And I've been using my Equal-I-zer since March of '08.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

I used the pads for the last 3 years. I did not notice any difference is sway. I pulled with a Jeep commander and then a 2500 Silverado. With the hitch set up properly I don't think it needs a lot of friction to control sway.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
I release the bars before leveling and set them after pulling off of the leveling blocks. I also release them before backing although you don't have to. I found it makes the trailer more responsive by not fighting the sway control.
Do the same also. But the site was on a curve and was the 9 inches out on the down hill side. So the down hill side bar was unloaded and the other was loaded hard. Usually try to remove the bars on even roads but this camp ground is on a small hill side, so lesson learned.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch, windjammer