Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

48re Dodge Diesel transmission

It's no secret Dodge missed the mark with thier transmissions on the 3rd gen trucks. It is true that certain components are weak and prone to failure. I fell victim to a torque converter failure 4 days after returning from my 2nd 1000 mile trip from SE Va to the mountains of TN and back. I replaced the converter myself but the problems kept cascading. After 135k miles, 6 years of pulling a heavy trailer and 5 years of whatever the previous owner did with the truck, the trans was shot. After much thought of what to do with this truck and my inevitable military retirement in less than 2 years, we decided it was cheaper to keep her. He comes the good news.

The 48re is weak in stock form,...... but one of the strongest when rebuilt by the right person with the right parts. Mine is being rebuilt as we speak by a local legend and shop owner in Norfolk Va, Tim Barber of Tre Diesel Performance. Tim builds race and sled pulling transmissions holding 1000+ horsepower for Dodge trucks but he also builds one hell of transmission for daily drivers. My transmission will have a billet converter, extra front clutches, heavy duty bands, billet servos and about 10 other things I've forgotten plus a valve body reworked with a shift kit and a host of other modifications that only a person who has rebuilt thousands of these transmissions can do.

If you own one of these trucks and find yourself in a predicament like me, give him a call. He's one of the nicest and down to earth guys you'll ever meet. You don't have to be local, he'll ship you one or take a little road trip and see Virginia Beach while you wait. You won't be sorry.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, dodge