Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivasiuk View Post
Check out a set of Timbrens for the rear and front. Will help with squat and rolling. Inexpensive compared to others suspension upgrades. If you are happy with the the way it tows now this would just give you a bit more stability.
Tell me about our timbrens . how is the ride ? do they cover the distance between bed and axle . have air bag on my 03 chevy but may go timbrens for the new truck just to save a few bucks . If they work well
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #62

If more weight is put on the trailer axle then that weight can only have come off what was being carried through to tounge to the truck. The weight doesn't just disappear. It's not as much weight as that which gets moved from the rear axle of the truck to the front axle, that weight move is still 100% carried on the tounge.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Tell me about our timbrens . how is the ride ? do they cover the distance between bed and axle . have air bag on my 03 chevy but may go timbrens for the new truck just to save a few bucks . If they work well
I like the simplicity of the Timbrens. With no load they don't do anything as they don't touch the axle. Add some weight and they start to help, add more weight and they help even more, take the weight out and you are back to stock ride without any input from you or anything to fail. Adding them on one coil spring SUV we had took all of 15 mins. On my 2003 Duramax Sierra it was a little harder but still easier than airbags. My 2004 Cummins had airbags put in by the previous owner but I preferred the Timbrens.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
If more weight is put on the trailer axle then that weight can only have come off what was being carried through to tounge to the truck. The weight doesn't just disappear. It's not as much weight as that which gets moved from the rear axle of the truck to the front axle, that weight move is still 100% carried on the tounge.

Nobody said anything to the contrary. The weight travels through the ball, hitch head, and a portion goes to the WDH bars to work as leverage. The tongue weight doesn’t magically travel into the tow vehicle frame and then back out to the trailer. The tow vehicle frame simply does not see the whole tongue weight like the site referenced above implies. It made it sound like the WDH was masking some of the weight the tow vehicle experiences when hitting the scales (scale weight vs “frame torque” or some nonsense) but it does not. That site was just incorrect in what it was saying.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I like the simplicity of the Timbrens. With no load they don't do anything as they don't touch the axle. Add some weight and they start to help, add more weight and they help even more, take the weight out and you are back to stock ride without any input from you or anything to fail. Adding them on one coil spring SUV we had took all of 15 mins. On my 2003 Duramax Sierra it was a little harder but still easier than airbags. My 2004 Cummins had airbags put in by the previous owner but I preferred the Timbrens.
I had Timbrens on the rear of my 04 Silverado 2500HD. I ended up removing them.

IMO, they are nice for a vehicle that is loaded all the time, not necessarily one that might run around empty. In my case, when empty with Timbrens, I'd get a double bump when hitting a single bump in the road. I would feel the normal bump impact, and then a secondary impact when the Timbrens contacted the axle. It drove me insane.

This "double bump" might be different on different vehicles. Maybe on my Chevy, the timbrens were too close to the axle when unloaded causing my issue. I could see where on other vehicles, it's possible that there's more gap between the Timbrens and the axle, and you wouldn't get a double hit. I think a vehicle that's loaded all the time wouldn't experience this, as the Timbrens will already be contacting the axle.

Just something to watch out for, if that sort of thing would drive you nuts. Otherwise, the Timbrens are nice, and good at preventing some squat.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
thxs, I thought the WDH pushed weight to front TV axle and TT rear axle??
quote form your tow link app says no??

"the weight distribution hitch only produces rotational forces center at the ball. Importantly, it does not reduce the tongue weight applied to the vehicle's frame. The full tongue weight rests on the vehicle's frame. This is important when calculating Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). Even though the rotational forces are transferring the weight, the tow vehicles frame is still supports the entire vertical linear force of the trailer's tongue weight. The torque only reduces the loads at the axles not the frame.
As others have correctly pointed out, a WDH does distribute the load more evenly (to front axle and to trailer).
The vertical loads are still there. I like the calculator and its notes because it explains the situaton correctly (such as the definition of terms). Did you fill in the values in the calculator for your truck to see where you stood ? If not, you should.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #67

Tongue.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #68

Don’t confuse weight (a force ) and mass in this situation. A WDH may reduce weight at the rear axle but it doesn’t change the longitudinal position of it’s mass and the force it will produce at a given velocity. So yes as the link says the frame still has to support the full mass of trailer tongue regardless of how you distribute weight.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
I have a 2018 F150 SCrew 3.5L Eco, max tow, 20 in wheels. Payload 1730 lbs. My 2017 TTrailer (Surveyor 251RKS) has a dry weight of 5800 lbs. Dealer added battery, 2 propane bottles. No food, water and or supplies in TTrailer, tanks empty. Used a trailer tongue weight scale today which shows a 1000 lbs tongue weight. Add Equalizer 12K WDH 100 lbs, 160 lbs gen/gas, me and mine weigh 350 lbs and I'm at 1610 lbs, 120 lbs under payload. Is that enough "cushion" to for the truck to tow the Trailer/safe towing/great handling.? Store everything else in the Trailer? Trailer has 2000 lbs carrying capacity. Tires are GY Endurance. Sway and handling have been a issue. Time to buy a F250?

getting back to your question Yes it's enough cushion.........if it was me, but I don't need to add a cushion to the cushion Ford has included in their capacity sticker. You'll need to move your loads between the truck and trailer and likely readjust the WDH. By any chance your truck have P tires on it rather than LT?
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Tongue.
I prefer tounge, don't care if it's obsolete. More spelling should be phonetic. I will go to my grave driving english teachers nuts!
Old 12-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
By any chance your truck have P tires on it rather than LT?
This.

LT tires will help immensely on the towing issue you have. I tow a rear kitchen as well. The design causes a lot of weight on the rear of the trailer, which in turn will cause the tail wagging the dog effect. LT tires and proper setup of the WDH will likely change your towing experience.

If you have LT tires, well then, never mind.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
This.

LT tires will help immensely on the towing issue you have. I tow a rear kitchen as well. The design causes a lot of weight on the rear of the trailer, which in turn will cause the tail wagging the dog effect. LT tires and proper setup of the WDH will likely change your towing experience.

If you have LT tires, well then, never mind.
Even more important is having good ST tires on the trailer, like Goodyear Endurance tires. Having good tires on the truck isn't going to do much good if the cheap China bomb tires, with their thin sidewalls, allow the trailer to wag the truck.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Even more important is having good ST tires on the trailer, like Goodyear Endurance tires. Having good tires on the truck isn't going to do much good if the cheap China bomb tires, with their thin sidewalls, allow the trailer to wag the truck.
He has Endurance tires. I have the cheap china bombs still on mine and just the LT tires cured my issue. I’ll find out if the Endurance tires help even more when my tires either explode or I replace them in a few years.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #74

just the LT tires cured my issue.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing the difference. For those doubters go to a dealer lot and drop the tailgate on a P equipped 150 and a 150 LT equipped truck. Pull and push the end of the truck. You can get 2" total of left and right sway out of those P tires if you time your push and pull with the sway. The LT tires are much tougher to get swaying, and move much less. Especially with 18" rims and the taller sidewall.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck