Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #41

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"You certainly don't need to chip a diesel post 2005 to tow a 9200# fifthwheel."

You certainly do if you want fuel mileage.
The other thing to consider is that this fifth is fairly tall, so wind resistance is right up there with the bigger rigs. I sure notice it on ours whenever we hit those stiff headwinds, as it is about 3 feet taller than our previous fifth.
I don't want to start a big arguement here, but if you can find a 2005 to 2007 Dodge Quad Cab 2500/3500, 5.9 cummins, SRW with a 3.73 rearend you will get excellent mileage. I got as high as 14 and as low as 9 towing my Big Horn 3600RE depending on conditions. The Big Horn is a hi-profile 12000# dry fifth wheel and it towed it very well. I did drive it on very hilly conditions but not mountainous. I had 78,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems, when I traded it on my motorhome. Also, I got as high as 22 mpg on the interestate solo with the truck and 17 arounde town. I believe chipping would have no difference in the mileage. The Dodges don't ride as good as the Chevy's empty, but here won't be much difference with the fifthwheel in tow and they sure can haul. Also, the Chevy's have a 26 gal. fuel tank and the Dodges a 34 gal. in that era. I wouldn't get a post 7.3 pre 6.7 Ford. I do know the new 6.7 is a real hauler and very quiet for a diesel, I have a friend that has one. Its quite a truck. His is a dually and rides pretty good too. None of the new trucks do that good on fuel economy solo because of the emissions. Not much difference towing though. By the way "Itsthetwoofus" I'm pretty sure your new Ford has a 6.7 liter not a 7.6 liter diesel in it. Better change your signature. You're right though, the new Ford is a great truck.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #42

Smile

Quote:
= By the way "Itsthetwoofus" I'm pretty sure your new Ford has a 6.7 liter not a 7.6 liter diesel in it. Better change your signature. You're right though, the new Ford is a great truck.
Isn't that awful? Is that a sign of dyslexia or something old people get?? I know it's a 6.7 but typed 7.6 and an earlier thread someone brought to my attention that I had one to many zero's in the feet of torque in my new F-250.
Please guys, keep en eye on me, My hair is gone and I keep finding new wrinkles. What is going on here???

Thanks for the heads up on my signature nemo45

George

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #43

Well, we are settled and almost done. The ol' 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 XLT was great. That 6.6 TD purred like a little tiger and it already has the brake controller installed and 5th hitch in the bed! The minute my wife and I sat in it, we looked at each other and were both thinking "this is the one". Those leather seats were wonderfully comfortable. Better than any we had sat in, even the 2008 Silverado. Trailering mirrors, electric everything and CD player, too. And only 30k miles... all for $19,000 ! Just a couple steps to go and we'll be TRUCKIN'!
Thank you all for your help, you got me thru a very uncertain time and I really appreciate it.
FreeWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #44

I haven't been on here in a while Freewheeler and just read most of the topic and I think you made a good choice. I don't know a whole lot about the duramax other than I haven't heard much bad about it. I can tell you from experience though that we have had all three of the mentioned fords with the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 and also both dodges, the 5.9 and the 6.7, that we use for work trucks in our business. From our experience (and don't get me wrong because I am a Ford man at heart) Ford has not been worth buying since they got rid of the 7.3. We had several of the 7.3's and a couple 5.9 dodges and we couldn't burn them up. We just took five to auction and they were all still runnning great. We have a few of the 6.0's and 6.4's in 250 and 350 and both have been nothing but trouble. One of the 6.0's had to have a new $8,000 engine at 150,000 miles and the 6.4's seem like they are in the shop every week. We now have several of the newer dodges with the 6.7 and have had no problems and no matter what it says on paper these dodges will walk off and leave all of our fords when pulling a load. Dodge also now uses a Aisan (may be spelled wrong) transmission and it has a 180,000 mile warrantee on it. Anyway I have said enough but I think you will be happy with your purchase. I am just glad you stayed away from the newer fords. This will probably start a truck war but I just wanted to give the experiences we have had with each model. Happy Camping!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #45

While the GMC is a few years old, you can't beat the low mileage.
If you are like us, you'll probably have that truck for a long, long time, and at $19,000, it is a heck of a deal. And you'll pull the begeebers out of that new camper!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #46

Diesel is the only way to go, you will not be unhappy. Better MPG with diesel empty or towing, it does now cost more though. I just got an F250 diesel and was shocked at how much less noise than the old ones.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWheeler View Post
Well, we are settled and almost done. The ol' 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 XLT was great. That 6.6 TD purred like a little tiger and it already has the brake controller installed and 5th hitch in the bed! The minute my wife and I sat in it, we looked at each other and were both thinking "this is the one". Those leather seats were wonderfully comfortable. Better than any we had sat in, even the 2008 Silverado. Trailering mirrors, electric everything and CD player, too. And only 30k miles... all for $19,000 ! Just a couple steps to go and we'll be TRUCKIN'!
Thank you all for your help, you got me thru a very uncertain time and I really appreciate it.

You made a great choice, but ok yes, I'm a bit biased. That Duramax/Allison combo will definately do you well for a long time to come (I bought mine with 200k miles on the clock so no worries on higher mileage trucks). That truck has the LB7 motor in it so make sure to add an additional fuel filter setup (search for "Nicktane Fuel Filter") to it because the injectors don't like water or fuel contaminants at all. You may also want to add a lift pump (search "Kennedy Lift Pump") if you live where it gets below freezing (helps to overcome any additional fuel filter restrictions). Other than that with good basic maintenance it should do very well hauling your 5th wheel anywhere you want to go.