Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

5-Wheel Truck advice

We have a deposit on a Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th-Wheel (9200 GVW) and I now have to buy a vehicle to tow it (currently have a RAV-4). I've never owned a P/U truck nor towed anything bigger that our 18' boat trailer. I am looking at several vehicles in our area but I neither want to buy a truck that is too weak, nor way over-powered. I can go diesel, but if gas is just as good, they are easier to find.
Currently looking at a 2007 F-250 Lariat 6.0 Turbo-diesel, a 2010 F-250 XL 6.4 TD and a 2008 Silverado 2500HD ExtCab 6.1 Gas. The last is the more comfortable but am worried about if we ever take on the Rockies with that rig, will the engine torque handle it.
Is this a non-issue or need I be concerned? (forgive me for being such a newbie).

Old 12-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Infractee

WOW! Going from a RAV-4 to an F250
That is one heck of a different ride you will be experiencing!
You cant go wrong with the Ford TD's, if I had my druthers I would go with the newer 6.4 over the 6.0, Ford did have some issues with the 6.0 PSD, they are all worked out now (for the most part) but the 6.4 is way smoother.. Plus, the new body style looks so much better than the old ones....IMHO

As for the cheby...meh...

J/K! Chevy makes a fine truck as well.
The gas engine will probably strain a bit, especially at altitude, whereas the diesel just keeps on going.

Diesel maint cost are far higher than a gas engine. Any part you need for a diesel engine is 5X the cost of a gas engine part.
EVERY gas station you stop at, even truck stops, have gasoline. Same can not be said for diesel.
On top of all that, you dont have to smell like burnt kerosene everywhere you go......

Just my opinions.....

BTW, where are you that gas trucks are easier to find than diesels?
You can't swing a dead cat by it's tail without hitting a 3/4 ton diesel truck around here, DFW Texas area.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Infractee

And before any of you PETA folks get all uppity about my dead cat reference....I love cats!

they taste just like chicken......
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

Go diesel for sure. We pull almost the same unit and the torque of the diesel is hard to beat. And if you want it to go like a race car, just add a computer chip!
I would also lean towards the newer trucks, as from what I understand they have better towing options, such as the exhaust brake. I also agree the 6.0 Ford is not the best.
You chose a great camper!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #5

I think you will find yourself happier with a diesel when pulling. I made a mistake when getting my first truck it was a diesel but I did not get enough information on the importance of the different rear end gearings. Make sure your truck has at least 4:10 rear end instead of the more standard 3:73. The 4:10 does use more fuel but you will find it pulls alot better. Think ahead as your truck will last a long time and you may find youself upgrading trailers sooner than you think.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
I think you will find yourself happier with a diesel when pulling. I made a mistake when getting my first truck it was a diesel but I did not get enough information on the importance of the different rear end gearings. Make sure your truck has at least 4:10 rear end instead of the more standard 3:73. The 4:10 does use more fuel but you will find it pulls alot better. Think ahead as your truck will last a long time and you may find youself upgrading trailers sooner than you think.

Quick question not to high jack forum. How much more maint is required on a diesel? how much more to own besides fuel costs?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #7

Get a Diesel, you will not regret it.Pickup diesel's maintinance is NOT 5x higher than a gas engine.Parts do cost more but they also last longer so in the long run it's a wash. Resale value on diesel trucks is much higher also so the per mile cost is better.I've been from 1 coast to the other in the last 7 months and pulled into 1 station that did not have diesel. You could stand next to my Dodge exhaust all day and not smell like Kerosene. Diesel engine technology has come a long way.Cardinal4fun is correct on getting the 4.10 rear gear.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #8

I've towed with both. My 04 1500 Dodge was the last gas truck I'll ever own. The torque makes highway and in town towing is far superior, no struggling while just trying to maintain the speed limit and it's nice being able to do the speed limit while pulling hills. MPG's are a little better while towing with a diesel but the downside is fuel costs about the same as premium unleaded. Google search the Ford 6.0 PSD and make you own decision, I personally would run away...fast. I have the Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins and my dad has the GM with the Duramax/Alison. I think the Duramax/Alison is a much better setup. It doesn't really cost much if any more to service my diesel. Yes parts are more expensive but they also out last most gaser parts. For example, the Cummins has a service life before overhaul of around 350k miles, the truck will fall apart around the engine. My truck has an oil change duration of 7500-15000 miles depending on the use. I do mine @ 10,000. Grand total $55....$70 with a fuel filter change. The rest of the maintenance is no different than a gas truck really.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
I've towed with both. My 04 1500 Dodge was the last gas truck I'll ever own. The torque makes highway and in town towing is far superior, no struggling while just trying to maintain the speed limit and it's nice being able to do the speed limit while pulling hills. MPG's are a little better while towing with a diesel but the downside is fuel costs about the same as premium unleaded. Google search the Ford 6.0 PSD and make you own decision, I personally would run away...fast. I have the Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins and my dad has the GM with the Duramax/Alison. I think the Duramax/Alison is a much better setup. It doesn't really cost much if any more to service my diesel. Yes parts are more expensive but they also out last most gaser parts. For example, the Cummins has a service life before overhaul of around 350k miles, the truck will fall apart around the engine. My truck has an oil change duration of 7500-15000 miles depending on the use. I do mine @ 10,000. Grand total $55....$70 with a fuel filter change. The rest of the maintenance is no different than a gas truck really.
Sweet finally a good answer I was looking for. I was afraid i would through my check book at a diesel. I would diesel cause of the way they sound but also cause if you need more power chip it to give more. When I have the option to upgrade which I hope is soon. I will do so.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
Sweet finally a good answer I was looking for. I was afraid i would through my check book at a diesel. I would diesel cause of the way they sound but also cause if you need more power chip it to give more. When I have the option to upgrade which I hope is soon. I will do so.
Heavy Trailer + Diesel Go Fast Stuff = A lot of broken driveline parts

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote