Old 04-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I beg to differ

Looks like plenty of adjustment holes.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Turbs the frames are built to the exact measurements to the revolution. You can not get in there to drop the pin box. You can not even put on a different pin box on because of the way it is boxed in. I think the boxed in area is only like 10 or 12". I remember someone wanted to add one of those air rides and couldn't do it because of the way lippard made the frame. I guess you can rip the whole thing out and reweld it. If you stick your hand up in the box you will feel the 90 degree angle of the box sitting on the rail braces. I tried to load a picture. That is an add on if you wanted it not OEM. I just went out and looked there are no wholes as your picture showed.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #12

The recommended spacing for the top of the bed rails to the bottom of a 5th wheel overhang is 6".

2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #13

Reese Revelution

I agree, there is no way to raise or lower the pin box. I have the 8528IKWS and had to modify my hitch to get the trailer level, fairly easy just a lot of weight to move around. Ended up with the trailer perfectly level and 61/2" bed rail clearance. Have a 550 with 19.5 wheels, so had to come down a lot, 13" above bed.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
The recommended spacing for the top of the bed rails to the bottom of a 5th wheel overhang is 6".
not that I doubt you but where does that figure come from? Just would like to know. Next time I hook up I'm going to measure it. I just never thought about it before it clears my bed rails and even on uneven ground. The trailer is perfectly level hooked -up. Thanks never new that. I have 3 wholes in my hitch 1 higher and 1 lower but it's level now I don't think I have 6" but maybe I do. Thanks for the info. I think I would rather pull level and lets say 4" then unlevel at 6" does that make sense.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
not that I doubt you but where does that figure come from? Just would like to know. Next time I hook up I'm going to measure it. I just never thought about it before it clears my bed rails and even on uneven ground. The trailer is perfectly level hooked -up. Thanks never new that. I have 3 wholes in my hitch 1 higher and 1 lower but it's level now I don't think I have 6" but maybe I do. Thanks for the info. I think I would rather pull level and lets say 4" then unlevel at 6" does that make sense.
It seems to be what "they" generally say. Here's an article from eTrailer with an "expert"'s reply:
What is a Safe Distance Between Truck Bed Rails and the Underside of a 5th Wheel Camper Trailer Loft | etrailer.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrailer
Our recommendation for safe towing, no damage to truck bed rails or underside of trailer loft is 6 inches. If you have at least 6 inches of clearance with the trailer level you should be alright in all but the most severe pitch and roll situations, like entering a steep drive or going through a deep dip.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Doesn't the Equa-flex (if equipped) help transfer weight back to the unloaded (or not fully loaded) axle, as in the case of being out of level? I personally, would rather be a bit nose high, than to be tight in my rail clearance. I have 5 1/2" clearance, and have just "kissed" the bottom of 5er with the rear corner of truck.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Doesn't the Equa-flex (if equipped) help transfer weight back to the unloaded (or not fully loaded) axle, as in the case of being out of level? I personally, would rather be a bit nose high, than to be tight in my rail clearance. I have 5 1/2" clearance, and have just "kissed" the bottom of 5er with the rear corner of truck.
I don't know if our fifth wheel tows level or not (looks like it does when I walk up to it, but have never measured). But I do know that when I measured my axle weights- they were nearly identical. I do have the Equa-flex suspension.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't know if our fifth wheel tows level or not (looks like it does when I walk up to it, but have never measured). But I do know that when I measured my axle weights- they were nearly identical. I do have the Equa-flex suspension.
I do understand both of you, but it also depends on the tilt of the hitch. I remember going around a State CG in Auburn Alabama. There was a camp road paved that had to be near 30 degrees or so and I said god I hope I don't tip over. But the hitch tilted and I didn't hit the rail with the bottom. That was the most extreme bank I ever drove on. I mean I crawled around it. I could here the hitch strain. lucky I was all right. I just looked again at the hitch I could raise that. I have two holes left above I thought 1 but it's 1 below and 2 above, but it never hits the bed and I really do not think it's 6" like the article say's. and it is level towing. So really I do not know which is more important as long as you don't hit the rail. I think level wins.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
I do understand both of you, but it also depends on the tilt of the hitch. I remember going around a State CG in Auburn Alabama. There was a camp road paved that had to be near 30 degrees or so and I said god I hope I don't tip over. But the hitch tilted and I didn't hit the rail with the bottom. That was the most extreme bank I ever drove on. I mean I crawled around it. I could here the hitch strain. lucky I was all right. I just looked again at the hitch I could raise that. I have two holes left above, but it never hits the bed and I really do not think it's 6" like the article say's. and it is level towing. So really I do not know which is more important as long as you don't hit the rail.
I assume it's like any "rules" that get thrown about - there are exceptions to all of them and you won't necessarily have death, destruction or havoc rain down on you if you violate them.

I honestly have no idea how much space is between mine- yet another thing to add to my "to measure" list.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #20
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
I do understand both of you, but it also depends on the tilt of the hitch. I remember going around a State CG in Auburn Alabama. There was a camp road paved that had to be near 30 degrees or so and I said god I hope I don't tip over. But the hitch tilted and I didn't hit the rail with the bottom. That was the most extreme bank I ever drove on. I mean I crawled around it. I could here the hitch strain. lucky I was all right. I just looked again at the hitch I could raise that. I have two holes left above I thought 1 but it's 1 below and 2 above, but it never hits the bed and I really do not think it's 6" like the article say's. and it is level towing. So really I do not know which is more important as long as you don't hit the rail. I think level wins.

Yep...you lost me when you mentioned CG @ Auburn, AL...everything after that was discredited! LOL
Geaux Tigers!

Tags
5th wheel, wheel