Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
The first couple inches in 3/4 and 1 tons are soft so they don't beat you to death, and most have a higher attitude than 1/2 tons. My 3500 drops the same amount as my 2500 did, but from there it stiffens up a lot more. Besides, you probably have those airbags pumped up all the way!
Au contraire my friend, I only pump the air bags to about 45# and can go to 100#, but never have. 75 is as high as I ever filled them and that was on the way back from FL this year and had the back full of alum tubing.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't know if our fifth wheel tows level or not (looks like it does when I walk up to it, but have never measured). But I do know that when I measured my axle weights- they were nearly identical. I do have the Equa-flex suspension.
Your bubble level on the camper should tell you level or not.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #23
NELA

DH and I have the same 5er, Same truck (2013), dealer installed the hitch, said he "adjusted our hitch" and we tow level with 7" clearance between the bed sides (no bed rails, if that means the chrome type add on rails) and the 5er.

Just make sure you get the correct wedge, or the revolution pin won't "center" correctly. When we picked ours up they had to come out to us on the interstate (about 15 miles out) and reverse the wedge, used the wrong end of it.

P.S. Congrats on the new toy! Hope you love yours as much as we do ours!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehitchman View Post
Our hitch is a Reese R16 round tube slider, the pin box a revolution. The pin height is 48", over hang 60". All measurements came from flag staff in Indiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You wait till you have the trailer then either adjust pin box and or the hitch to proper heights.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
guess I should have been a little clearer in my comment. I was questioning the comment that already stated that you would have 6 inches of rail clearance before we knew anything about your hitch or trailer height. Looks like you got it all figured out. My Coachmen has to ride just a tad high in the front to get a comfortable rail clearance. Little to close for comfort when I had trailer perfectly level. Would rather have it level, but sure don't want truck bed and trailer to meet each other
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #25

FWIW my 12 Ram 2500 squats 2" with 1800lbs of pin. Not sure where you come up with 1640lbs for wet pin. Shipped weight of the 5'er is 8082lbs, add 1000lbs for gear and that's 9000lbs. Typical pin is 20% of 5'er weight, so 1800lbs is more reasonable. Still guessing you'll squat 2".
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Yep...you lost me when you mentioned CG @ Auburn, AL...everything after that was discredited! LOL
Geaux Tigers!
I was at a state CG when I was going to my space the slope of the road at the end that went around to the beginning again had a bank like a race track my hitch moves it is not like a solid plate it will tilt 2" down from level either right or left. Simple that is just how a husky is designed. the plate will move down as normal and I ride up it to lock in. Then it also has the capability to move drop either left or right depending on the angle of the road. So the plate moves down and then level and also drop left or right. In other words it tilts for a better word. Look up husky hitches the plate will move 3 ways....... The state park is named Chewacla State Park, Just outside of Auburn Alabama. Have ever been there that you say this is not true? When Auburn Plays football at home you can't even get into it to rent a space it is full. Glad I made your day and gave you a laugh.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Your bubble level on the camper should tell you level or not.

(smack my head) duh, that's easy! I don't have a mounted level, we just level on the floor inside the door. Of course, we can adjust level by moving the level itself on the floor.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #28
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
(smack my head) duh, that's easy! I don't have a mounted level, we just level on the floor inside the door. Of course, we can adjust level by moving the level itself on the floor.

You do know they sell stick on bubbles for pretty cheap nowadays....?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
You do know they sell stick on bubbles for pretty cheap nowadays....?
Yeah, I got 2 in the basement. The problem is- we have to level perfect once and then stick them on. I've never felt we've achieved the level that I want before committing to it. Plus, it's the wife's job to level the camper and she hasn't complained...
Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Yeah, I got 2 in the basement. The problem is- we have to level perfect once and then stick them on. I've never felt we've achieved the level that I want before committing to it. Plus, it's the wife's job to level the camper and she hasn't complained...
That's how we do it right now. After Goshen even having the auto level system installed, I'm sure she will still use the level to check. We will not open our slides until it is as level as possible why bind them and have doors either swing open or closed...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Easy way to solve that problem is to hide or leave the damn level at home so she can't find it.

You personally wouldn't know if it's level or not, due to the consumption of adult beverages.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That's how we do it right now. After Goshen even having the auto level system installed, I'm sure she will still use the level to check. We will not open our slides until it is as level as possible why bind them and have doors either swing open or closed...

Our doors are our gauge for how level we ended up - if they don't swing shut on their own, she did good. If they do, we could have done better.

I truly hate camping without her- she has it down to an art. She knows exactly how many blocks by looking at the level and can get them lined up so the tires are centered on the first try. Me alone.. takes like 8 attempts. (shake my head/rolling laughter icon here )
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Our doors are our gauge for how level we ended up - if they don't swing shut on their own, she did good. If they do, we could have done better.

I truly hate camping without her- she has it down to an art. She knows exactly how many blocks by looking at the level and can get them lined up so the tires are centered on the first try. Me alone.. takes like 8 attempts. (shake my head/rolling laughter icon here )
Way too much effort expended, we just pull in and just try to maneuver the trailer to get it close enough side to side with the big level attached to the pin box and let 'er go. If it looks close, it's good enough. Front to back is very simple. Very, very seldom use blocks under the wheels, just too much trouble.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #34
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Way too much effort expended, we just pull in and just try to maneuver the trailer to get it close enough side to side with the big level attached to the pin box and let 'er go. If it looks close, it's good enough. Front to back is very simple. Very, very seldom use blocks under the wheels, just too much trouble.

You're not married to my wife. We have to be centered within the lines on the level (note: not just *between* the lines, centered between the lines). As I said, her job is leveling.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
You're not married to my wife. We have to be centered within the lines on the level (note: not just *between* the lines, centered between the lines). As I said, her job is leveling.
Well it's obvious, she has to do it because you can't do it right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #36
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Well it's obvious, she has to do it because you can't do it right.

I feel like we've gone off topic. Let's not talk about me anymore....
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Can't blame anyone but yourself, you let it happen when you let her have the level. As I told Glenn, leave it at home or hide it.

Remember, the Good Book says "Ye reap what ye sow!"
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
DH and I have the same 5er, Same truck (2013), dealer installed the hitch, said he "adjusted our hitch" and we tow level with 7" clearance between the bed sides (no bed rails, if that means the chrome type add on rails) and the 5er.

Just make sure you get the correct wedge, or the revolution pin won't "center" correctly. When we picked ours up they had to come out to us on the interstate (about 15 miles out) and reverse the wedge, used the wrong end of it.

P.S. Congrats on the new toy! Hope you love yours as much as we do ours!
This site is great. Thanks weezer, your exact tv and 5er has put our minds to rest. And thank you, every one else, for your input on this subject. Our trailer is about 3 weeks out and we are looking forward to making the 270 mile trip to pick it up.

Retired Pipefitter
2014 F250 SD 4X4 SB 6.7L PSD
2013 21FBRS Micro Lite
2015 8528IKWS FW
thehitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #39
NELA

I see you guys got the diamond package. We opted out of that...the black and white goes better with his BBAT! (black big arse truck)

We're fortunate in that we're able to keep ours here at home, on full shore power. SO nice to have it here to sneak out to for some quiet time, have it here handy for loading up before a trip, and keep the fridge always cold.

What wood finish did you go with? We went with hickory (former V-Lite was cherry) and the lighter wood just makes it look more open and airy. LOVE that huge back window also!

Crossing my fingers that you'll get a pleasant surprise and it'll come in early!

And here's to a no-issues shakedown!

We need a wine glass toast icon. I don't do beer.

Oh, someone here with the Rockwood "twin" of our 5er gave me a tip on storing the recliners; when you turn them sideways, put a small pillow or cushion between the recline lever and the wall to prevent the handle from scratching the wall. (we actually just turn them both to the right now, both handles facing out)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel