Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newcomerstown, Ohio
Posts: 17
5th wheel clearance issue

We have a flagstaff 8528 IKWS on order. The over hang is 60" with the the trailer sitting level. Our tv is a 2014 f250 SD Fx4, with 57" bed rails at the rear. Will our wet pin weight of maybe 1600# push the suspension down enough to run the trailer level with proper clearance? The trailer axles are tor flex and run very close together . If we have to run nose high, 1 or 2" will the rear tires have to much weight?
__________________

__________________

Retired Pipefitter
2014 F250 SD 4X4 SB 6.7L PSD
2013 21FBRS Micro Lite
2015 8528IKWS FW
thehitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
transamz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 409
It will be just fine. It will probably squat you 2-4 in. 1-2" high in the front won't hurt anything. If it squats you 3" that will give you 6" clearance and ride level.
__________________

__________________
2005 Ram 5.9 AT SB QC (Retired)
2010 Ram 6.7 G56 QC CC Aluminum flat/Leveled (Sold)
2008 Nitro Z9 towed by a 2015 Sanibel 3601 towed by a 2013 Ram 3500 SRW CCSB Cummins
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
It will be just fine. It will probably squat you 2-4 in. 1-2" high in the front won't hurt anything. If it squats you 3" that will give you 6" clearance and ride level.
IMO, if it squats him over 2" he needs something done to his suspension. My 1/2 T doesn't squat near that much.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,317
how can someone calculate the bed rail clearance when you don't know the specs on the hitch and pin box heights?
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newcomerstown, Ohio
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
how can someone calculate the bed rail clearance when you don't know the specs on the hitch and pin box heights?

Our hitch is a Reese R16 round tube slider, the pin box a revolution. The pin height is 48", over hang 60". All measurements came from flag staff in Indiana.
__________________

Retired Pipefitter
2014 F250 SD 4X4 SB 6.7L PSD
2013 21FBRS Micro Lite
2015 8528IKWS FW
thehitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
how can someone calculate the bed rail clearance when you don't know the specs on the hitch and pin box heights?
You wait till you have the trailer then either adjust pin box and or the hitch to proper heights.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You wait till you have the trailer then either adjust pin box and or the hitch to proper heights.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
You can't adjust a revolution pin box, maybe his hitch. What is the proper clearance to a bed rail? I really do not know. I have a F250 and his pin weight at 1600 lbs is less then mine at 1640 lbs. My truck will not squat at all hooked-up. I never measured mine to be honest but never had a problem either. That's why I don't want a new truck. Love that 6.0 engine. 125,000 miles knock on wood, But do maintenance by the book......
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You can't adjust a revolution pin box, maybe his hitch. What is the proper clearance to a bed rail? I really do not know. I have a F250 and his pin weight at 1600 lbs is less then mine at 1640 lbs. My truck will not squat at all hooked-up. I never measured mine to be honest but never had a problem either. That's why I don't want a new truck. Love that 6.0 engine. 125,000 miles knock on wood, But do maintenance by the book......
I beg to differ

Looks like plenty of adjustment holes.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397668551950.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	49989  
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, if it squats him over 2" he needs something done to his suspension. My 1/2 T doesn't squat near that much.
The first couple inches in 3/4 and 1 tons are soft so they don't beat you to death, and most have a higher attitude than 1/2 tons. My 3500 drops the same amount as my 2500 did, but from there it stiffens up a lot more. Besides, you probably have those airbags pumped up all the way!
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehitchman View Post
We have a flagstaff 8528 IKWS on order. The over hang is 60" with the the trailer sitting level. Our tv is a 2014 f250 SD Fx4, with 57" bed rails at the rear. Will our wet pin weight of maybe 1600# push the suspension down enough to run the trailer level with proper clearance? The trailer axles are tor flex and run very close together . If we have to run nose high, 1 or 2" will the rear tires have to much weight?
I just went outside and measured my rail height. It is 54" with the liner. I also just measured the drop of my pin from the underside of the trailer. If your unit comes with the revolution the drop from the pin plate to the bottom of the trailer is 9" lower. The revolution is at an angle down. So I don't see a problem for you at all, but I still do not know what clearence you should have. You can see what hitch I have left to right tilt is 2". I still don't understand what is the proper clearance is as you stated. It clears my bed just fine.
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.