Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

5th Wheel Hitch or Gooseneck adapter?

We just purchased a "new to us" 08 Dodge 3500, Mega Cab, CTD, 4x4, short bed, with the goose neck ball setup already installed/integrated into the bed. Right now the ball is face down, so the bed is pretty much free to use...

Anyway,

Our old TV was a 04 3500 Quad Cab, short bed with a Reese 16K slider. Our camper is a 2009 Sabre 32BHTS.

Here are my questions:
1. Should I pay to have the bed of new TV drilled and transfer my Reese 16K? I do like the way the ball is hidden....more room in the bed.

2. Purchase a gooseneck adapter for the kingpin on our Sabre and install it myself?

3. How does one know the correct size gooseneck adapter to purchase? Back under the FW and take a measurement from bottom of pin box to top of ball?

Since we have a short bed pickup, there could be challenges with the gooseneck setup because it won't slide back?

Just trying to save money and utilize the hitch our truck came with. Having the bed drilled, purchasing new hardware/brackets, is almost the same price as the goose neck adapter.

Any other short bed owners using the gooseneck adapter with a 5th wheel?

Thanks,
Mike

seven_campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #2

Personally I would not use the goose neck adapter, I would have your reese hitch installed in the new truck. I think for a fifth wheel travel trailer the center point for the reese is a more stable platform.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

Don't know if this will help or not. It's worth a look.
www.mumbyhitches.com
Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #5

I have an 04 CTD shortbox quad cab and just went from a goose neck adapter to a 5 wheel main reason is because we upgraded our 5er. After reading numerous posts here and other places I choose to invest in a B&W companion hitch. Like most people will tell you, you have to be very aware of your situation when backing due to the clearance of the cab. Bottom line I am very happy with the companion and would recommend it to anyone who wants to be able to keep their TV box usable. Just my two cents.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #6

What brand of gooseneck is on the truck? If it is a B&M I would just buy the companion 5th wheel hitch that drops into the gooseneck.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

Yes its a B&W turn ball works excellent
Old 05-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

I don't know for sure. But I heard somewhere, if you tow it by a gooseneck adapter and something happens, insurance may not cover it. Like I said I am not sure, but it might be worth looking into. If I am wrong then let me know.

2011 Sierra 355 QBQ
04 Ford F350 V10
blatch70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #9

Well, I ended up removing the entire gooseneck hitch in preparation for a local trailer shop to install my Reese 16K slider. If I had the extra $$ I would have left it alone and purchased the companion hitch. The gooseneck hitch/brackets did not have any brand label or other identifying marks (minus a sticker with a part #), but it is a turnover system. Hitch removal = PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trailer shops I spoke to last week recommended the companion hitch or complete removal. Most said reconfiguring with a gooseneck adapter could lead to cracking of the fiberglass near the master bedroom of our camper and additional stress on the frame.

Since we have a 2009 trailer I don't think we're covered by much in terms of warranty.

I appreciate all the input you guys provided!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #10

Watch that mega cab< for most people that don't have them they think quad cab. Dodge mega cab means MEGA, More leg room in the back compared to seats slid back up front. I have a 07.5 mega cab with bw hitch. I went with the companion and I have to be very careful not to get 5er in back of my cab.
You can always trll the MEGA cab by the small flares around the rear dually's they don't have the HUGE fender.
Here is a link for the mega cab and you can see it makes the bed even shorter.
Dodge : Ram 3500 | eBay

Tags
5th wheel