Old 05-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #31

Andersen is a great solution. Everyone on the forum who has one has nothing but praise for the hitch. I am starting my second year with mine and it has performed well and is easy to use. The other great result of the 32 pound weight is more payload for supplies. Great hitch if you enjoy ease of use, lightweight design and great performance.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:26 AM   #32

I use a b&w companion and love it now, but when I'm 50-60+ no way am I going to be moving that heavy bugger around

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 05-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Just wondering, do any 5ers come with a Goose Neck hitch? Most pin boxes I thought don't want any adapters hooked to it. Just asking, I have a TrailAir and don't think I could put a goose neck adapter on it
I swapped out my standard pin box for the Reese Goosebox... have been using it for the last year and half. I can't imagine using anything else going forward.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:41 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
Hello,
DW and I are looking a 5th wheels and I am looking for information on hitches and pin boxes. Is there a primer out there for newbies? What needs to be considered? What about the height?

I am considering a B&W Companion hitch as I like the concept of removing and having a flat bed.
I LOVE MY B&W Companion , very well made, easy to adjust (up and down ,fore and aft) love the quality. It will be the last hitch you will have to buy. Make sure you get a heavier hitch then you need. It gives you room to move up later if you buy bigger.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #35

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I LOVE my B&W Companion also, but I'm not so sure it will be the last hitch I ever buy because of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardbucket107 View Post
I use a b&w companion and love it now, but when I'm 50-60+ no way am I going to be moving that heavy bugger around
I am currently very close to ordering an Andersen for this one reason and this one reason only. I am really struggling with the decision however because my B&W Companion is SO nice....top of the line, cream of the crop, and all that.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #36

I'm going to keep my B&W Companion, I can hang the hitch to my pin box. I don't have to man handle the hitch, I always say buy what you like. I'm not spending any more money on something I already have. I want to spend any extra money on another pin box

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #37

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
This is pretty much a thread jack, but because multiple people have mentioned leaving the Companion attached to the pin box, I have a few of questions. Do you just pull the lever under the truck bed and have the adapter go with the companion, or are you unbolting the companion from the adapter and removing it separately? Getting the hitch out this way seems easy enough, but how do you go about reinstalling it? Do you try for that perfect alignment, or release the Companion on the tailgate or whatever for manual install?

Even if reinstalling the Companion this way is as easy as the removal, I would have to know whether or not I was going to need the empty bed before the next camping trip to utilize this method. I tow the 5th wheel far more often than I need the bed completely empty, so I normally leave my Companion bolted in the truck (under a bed cover).
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #38

My 2016 F250 6.7 is my daily driver ~ leave the SUV at home. Rarely do I need the truck bed so the hitch remains attached, just covered. Think of it as your Toyota Camry,,,
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #39

I hardly ever need a clean bed, I unbolt the top bolt to get the hitch off. When I set the hitch back on truck I get the hitch close and I can get the hitch back in. It's just a pain to get someone to help me get the hitch out. I have a long bed and it's not just the hitch that has to come out for a clean bed. I have a 100 gallon fuel tank that has to come out too. I can get everything out but like I say I hardly ever need a clean bed

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #40

If I need to haul plywood, I have a 16' utility trailer. I doubt my Companion ever leaves the bed. It's covered by Retrax slide back bed cover when not in use........most every tool I own is back there, and they all fit just fine.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, select, wheel