Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Stockdale Texas
Posts: 176
5th Wheel Hitches--Include Bumper Pull

Wife belongs to some RV forum through facebook, if I'm not mistaken? Yesterday she read me a post that a couple was traveling pulling a 5R and they stopped somewhere to do some shopping. They came out of store about 30 minutes later and got in their truck and started to leave. The poster said they heard an awful noise and the 5r hit the bed of the truck damaging the bed and 5r. Someone, kids I'm sure, unlatched the 5th wheel hitch while they were inside. Man what an awful way for someone to get their kicks. DW asked if that could happen to us, we have a travel trailer. I said yes, it would take some doing but they could pull our hitch pin, then when we take off the hitch comes out, hitch of trailer hits the ground bends jack, or worse, hits another vehicle. I'm going to invest in a locking hitch pin, ASAP. Just wanted to throw this out as an alert to be mindful of your hitches. Happy and safe camping to all.
__________________

ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 4,956
I've heard of simi drivers that will after leaving their rigs will back a little to ensure the hitch is locked. Might be something to think about with a 5th wheel.
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,061
This is why I always do a walk around our rig and check things after ANY stop. After a while it just becomes habit.
__________________
2017 River Stone Legacy 38mb
2001 Kenwoth T2000
2008 Smart on deck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,353
This is why I always put a padlock on the hitch latch when travelling.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim34RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oswego il
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
This is why I always do a walk around our rig and check things after ANY stop. After a while it just becomes habit.
X2
My first dealer instructed me to always do a walk around and pull the hitch release lever insuring that this did not move.
__________________
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67, TDR 117K+miles
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl
Posts: 2,388
My motorcycle trailer has a lock on 24/7/365. 5er in on permanent site.
__________________
2002 27rk Wildcat 5er.
Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Retired Master Electrician.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 6,779
Thanks for the reminder.
We all become complacent at times.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
kfd82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Madisonville, TX
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
Wife belongs to some RV forum through facebook, if I'm not mistaken? Yesterday she read me a post that a couple was traveling pulling a 5R and they stopped somewhere to do some shopping. They came out of store about 30 minutes later and got in their truck and started to leave. The poster said they heard an awful noise and the 5r hit the bed of the truck damaging the bed and 5r. Someone, kids I'm sure, unlatched the 5th wheel hitch while they were inside. Man what an awful way for someone to get their kicks. DW asked if that could happen to us, we have a travel trailer. I said yes, it would take some doing but they could pull our hitch pin, then when we take off the hitch comes out, hitch of trailer hits the ground bends jack, or worse, hits another vehicle. I'm going to invest in a locking hitch pin, ASAP. Just wanted to throw this out as an alert to be mindful of your hitches. Happy and safe camping to all.
Read that post yesterday too. My wife and I are on that same FB group.

I wonder if it just wasnt secured correctly to begin with?
Most people dont know how to operate a 5th wheel hitch, so they wouldnt know how to screw with one. Those who DO know how to operate one probably wouldnt mess with someones trailer.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
Read that post yesterday too. My wife and I are on that same FB group.

I wonder if it just wasnt secured correctly to begin with?
Most people dont know how to operate a 5th wheel hitch, so they wouldnt know how to screw with one. Those who DO know how to operate one probably wouldnt mess with someones trailer.
Unless someone put my landing gear down and took all the weight off of my fifth wheel they could not pull the handle to unlatch the hitch.

I still do a walk around anyway.
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Maxxis 8008s Load rating E, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Futomo Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated in Idaho Rob Heavy Tow Tune, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Capt. Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Franklin County, MO
Posts: 1,878
Used to use just a pin to keep the release lever closed on our 5th wheel hitch, but have been using a padlock ever since our truck was broken into a year ago. If they'll break two of your windows to steal stuff, no telling what they might do to the hitch "just for fun."
__________________

__________________
Mike and Yvonne
and Sophie, the little white dog
2017 Columbus 320RSC
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.