Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #41
I always lock. It only takes one incident and then I guarantee you will always lock, How long does it take...

lupie989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #42
I have a Husky 16k, I do not lock it and it has no place to lock it. But the bar going across the pin can not be opened til you block the tires and bump it back, otherwise I don't care how strong you are the pressure of the pin will not let you open the cross bar holding the pin.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #43
My RBW 15K Lil' Rocker 5th Wheel Hitch doesn't have any means to lock. However, I also have to back into the hitch to be able to pull the bar out. Always do a walk around "pre-flight" inspection before moving. The hitch handle is on the checklist.
2006 Sandpiper 335RTL
2005 2500 HD Duramax w/hypertech programer
DW and Sallie Dog
New addition "Katmandu" rescue cat from Bear Creek Campground, Asheville on Christmas Day 2013
Camped in 2014 = lost count...but over 40...more to come!
canmannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #44
No lock on mine, but I do keep the provided pin in place to keep the handle from moving.
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
Helmsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #45
I don't lock but use a clevis and that is where I put the brake release cable also. When ever I stop or take a break I always do a complete walk around and double check everything to make sure nobody has messed with anything on the unit.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #46
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
My Pullrite does not have provisions for locking. Anyway there is no way to pull the handle if the rig isn't raised off the truck.
mine does, You stick a lock between the handle and the cut out, the handle has a ramp and it can not make it out (no room ) with a lock or quick pin installed. I install a quick pin and put pressure on the jaws when I leave (pull fdw)
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #47
Mod free 5er
All I can say is, those that can lock but don't are just waiting on a big problem. Takes less than 5 seconds to lock it and prevent thousands of dollars of potential damage due to some inquisitive/mischievous/jerk/prankster kid or adult
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #48
I don't lock at present, but always thought it was a good idea and extra measure of security!

I put a d-ring thu it and do a walk around anytime I'm away from the unit...

Our camping Adventures
Brian & Michele
Our Blog
Truck: Dodge D3500 1 Ton Dully Diesel
Camper: 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK
Nights Camped in 2012 (truck camper) 16
Nights Camped in 2013 48
Brian and Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #49
Now you guys got me thinking (my wife sez that is a dangerous thing). I don't lock but use a clevis and that is where I put the brake cable too. I always do a walk around when I stop and when I leave (found one of those ugly goose eggs on a tire just last fall on a walk around). You all have very valid points. Guess I'll be buying a lock now. Man, I love this forum!!
North Carolina born and bred
2010 Sandpiper 345RET
2011 2500 Duramax Silverado
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #50
My B&W has the clevis pin with saftey ring on it from the factory, it could be replaced with a lock if you were real concerned about it. I do find the question posed by the OP a *bit* funny, not sure if you have ever met the typical teenager, they could give a crap less about your (our) 5th wheels AND it's latch for the hitch, much less even posses the knowledge to understand what that lever even does. If you are going to lock it for any reason, do it for the simple fact that it gives you peace of mind that it will not release all by itself while rolling down the road...

RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, wheel