Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #21

My previous fiver had one that was riveted to the pin box my wildcat has a snap on one. Have always lubed the jaws and the pin itself with a lite layer of waterproof grease and when done camping I wipe clean and re-lube pin. Has worked good for me My hitch is a older unit with little wear because of it. Somebody I knew gave me his old hitch (same model) and it has severe wear and he only pulled a trailer for one season. So by all means use the wear plate (except the Reese Revolution) and keep the wearing parts lubed.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
My previous fiver had one that was riveted to the pin box my wildcat has a snap on one. Have always lubed the jaws and the pin itself with a lite layer of waterproof grease and when done camping I wipe clean and re-lube pin. Has worked good for me My hitch is a older unit with little wear because of it. Somebody I knew gave me his old hitch (same model) and it has severe wear and he only pulled a trailer for one season. So by all means use the wear plate (except the Reese Revolution) and keep the wearing parts lubed.
X's 2 on these comments, my last 5er was a Jayco Eagle. I had a lube plate on that, I think I used the 8" one if I remember. I still lubricate my moving parts on the husky just not the plate any more only the pin and wedge edges now.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
No, but I due use a dry lube on the plate itself. There is really no use in greasing it at all because it will not pivot, thats the reason for lube plates and greasing the plate because of the rotation of the pin box on the plate. The revolution pivots 22" behind the pin. Also there is no lube needed their. When I was in Goshen with OC we had the 2 engineers that designed the Reese Revolution look at mine and his. This is where I got my Information from. I had a concern because it tighten up to where I couldn't push it by hand like new, and also I had 1/4" gap in the back when I loaded. They took it apart checked everything and said that it will tighten up after 500 miles or so. This guy weight over 300 lbs. and couldn't move mine by hand.
I believe it. Mine certainly tightened. Can't move it anymore. 5000+ miles now.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
So with a Reese Revolution that is engaged, are you still putting grease on the hitch plate?
Yes. I put lithium grease if only to coat the metal from moisture. And, you still have to slide the plates together to hook up so don't see how it can hurt. I'm attaching 2 pictures of pages from the installation and owner's manuals. Shows "No lube plate" under warnings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131229_143704.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	44263

Name:	ForumRunner_20131229_143704.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	44263

Pg 2 shows, hitch should loosen after 500 miles. Mine tightened.

Pg 1 shows, Do Not use lube plate, near bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20131229_143745.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	44264  

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel