Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

+1. Wish I had invented it...
Ikr !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
+1. Wish I had invented it...
It gets worse, I did invent it, but forgot to patent the idea.
I was making them out of puckboard long before I ever saw them for sale at the RV dealers.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #23

Thanks for all the replies. I have always been happy with the disk, and like I said, they're cheap at about 11.00 here, but I am just tired of it falling off all the time. It's the standard 10" disk, and it has the teeth on it. It fits on tight, until I pull. I also noticed it has warped right afte the first pull each time, and possibly that has something to do with it. I have had 2 of them, and each time I go through the same thing. It fits tight, I tow, disconnect, and it falls down in the bed of the truck. I try to put it back on, and it falls right off, not tight at all. If I wait until the next day or two (usually stay for a weekend) then it goes on tight again, but of course when I get home, it falls off when I unhitch. I like the idea, and I like not having grease on the top of the hitch, but I'm tired of farting around with the plate. Hoping this is a solution that works for me.

I wanted to share for two reasons, in case anyone had feedback on this style of lube plate, and then also to see if I am alone with the fact that the lube plates fall off, or if there are others out there. I wondered if I was doing something incorrect, but from the replies, it sounds like I installed it properly as I did what most do, I put it on, and then pushed it up tight to the pinbox.

If this works, I have a new lube plate for sale that I was carrying around since the others fell all the time... I was worried I would loose it and then be stuck with either looking for grease, looking for a lube plate, or hitching with neither to get home at some point. Glad that never happened and I guess I will try to return it to my RV dealer since it's still in the packaging.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #24

Mine was installed at the dealer in 2009 and has not come off or been changed yet. Maybe I should change. Seems to be working just fine.
mikegp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #25

To the op
My brother had 1 installed on his Reese hitch on the truck because he delivered trailers and fifth wheels for a year and works great for him. Now he just tows his own. I have a disk on my fifth wheel but I have only pulled my FW a few times. I just bought my fw this year. Good luck
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote