Old 09-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #71
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisde View Post
Has anyone scaled a truck and 5'r on a scale. On a Semi I have much experience in scaling but am wondering if the same process applies. On a Semi I would scale the steering, then the truck axle, finally the Trailer tandem axles. Then when all weights are added the gross total is achieved. The only difference is that i was able to slide the tandems on trailer to achieve a proper weight balance between truck and trailer. I have to agree with OC somewhat. With RV'S I notice the tandems on RV are not as far back and seem to handle the weight distribution well, hence the pin weights associated with various 5ers. I will have to test this theory. My brother has a brand new flagstaff 8526RKWS lighter than the 8528RKWS but his pin weight is 1495 as opposed to the 1046 on the one I am interested in. I will test my theory on his.. Any thoughts. Am I off the mark is it worth exploring.
Yup. With a fifth wheel, you need to get 2 individual weighings.

1) Truck and camper hooked up
2) Truck only

Try to do them at the same time. Just go park the camper in one of the big rig spots and swing back around getting the second weighing.

I'm a frequent flyer at the truck scales:

First Time, nervous newbie. Yep- 4 part series.

Weighed recently with what I consider my "maximum" load except for maybe differing levels in my waste water tanks

My rig is going back to the factory this week or next (hopefully). Once it's empty- I'm going to weigh it again to compare it against the yellow sticker on the door.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #72
Mod free 5er

I guess I just don't understand the obsession with weighting all the time. I must be missing something.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #73
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I guess I just don't understand the obsession with weighting all the time. I must be missing something.
It's a curiosity of mine. Like fiddling with new toys- it's just another facet of this new RV'ing life for me.

And, well- I'm in the camp of following a manufacturer's published ratings. Call them lawyer stickers or not- they're there and I prefer to follow them.

It also helps me answer questions here from an educated position rather than making SWAGs at things. I'm sure I could find a dozen threads that ask things like:
- what is the real pin weight of camper X?
- what is the amount of stuff people add to their campers?
- what does that do to the pin weight?

I'd rather be able to give hard numbers- I've added "X" to my camper. It's advertised dry weight is this, but here is what it weighed when it was empty for me AND here's what it weighs when loaded up. With the caveat that we're all unique and special in our own way...
Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's a curiosity of mine. Like fiddling with new toys- it's just another facet of this new RV'ing life for me.

And, well- I'm in the camp of following a manufacturer's published ratings. Call them lawyer stickers or not- they're there and I prefer to follow them.
So what changes and what will you do if you suddenly find you are in violation of one of the stickers?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #75
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
So what changes and what will you do if you suddenly find you are in violation of one of the stickers?
Reduce weight where and when possible.

However, this past weighing was likely my "heaviest weight scenario" with an extra adult in the truck, a full truck bed and headed out on a 3-week trip. We'll see what next summer brings if we really do end up spending the summer on the road.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #76
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Reduce weight where and when possible.

However, this past weighing was likely my "heaviest weight scenario" with an extra adult in the truck, a full truck bed and headed out on a 3-week trip. We'll see what next summer brings if we really do end up spending the summer on the road.
So, what happens if an extra adult puts you over your sticker wt? Interested in just how strict you are with adhering to the numbers and to what lengths you go to remain within them. Is it +/- 10#, 100# or just what? Having been in the design field my entire career, are you of the opinion that there is no tolerance built into the numbers?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #77
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
So, what happens if an extra adult puts you over your sticker wt? Interested in just how strict you are with adhering to the numbers and to what lengths you go to remain within them. Is it +/- 10#, 100# or just what? Having been in the design field my entire career, are you of the opinion that there is no tolerance built into the numbers?
I'd weigh them. If they are under 265 pounds, they're allowed in the truck (can't take anything with them, though!). If they're over 265 pounds, I'd put my mother-in-law in the fifth wheel and let this extra adult ride in the truck. Depending on how far over they are from 265 pounds, I'd decide how far back she has to stay. Only a little over, and she's allowed to ride in the shower stall. Much over 265, she'd be locked in the bunkhouse. (sarcasm, of course)

I've always maintained that things can be used right up until their design numbers. Heck, I use 265 in my joking-ness above because that's where my truck was with the last "heaviest weighing" weighing. That was with an extra adult. We still had room for another, but it gets cozy with 3 adults across the front.

Yes, I do believe that there is tolerance built into the numbers. Lots of people prove that every day- from RVers overloading their specs to the folks in the agriculture industry to the occasional Harry Homeowner who needs to get a couple of tons of landscaping material home. I do not believe that going 1 pound over is the teeter totter point of failure.

Yes, I do believe that trucks perform optimally when they're within their published ratings. I also believe that it helps you to save your bacon when things helped- even if it's of my own making (almost getting stuck in the mud due to a piss-poor parking job last month). If I had been significantly overloaded, would I have had the power to get back out of my mess? It's impossible to say, of course. But it did make me think- especially after the campground employee told me that someone else got stuck worse and had to be pulled out with a tractor trailer.

Now, before you ask the final 2 questions:
1) no, I do not believe that folks are instantly a danger to society once they go over their ratings. But, I do question some of the setups that I see (triple axle trailer pulled by a 3/4-ton truck but they obviously made it there OK).

2) no, I do not believe that you'll instantly have an insurance nightmare if you're overloaded. Again, significantly overloaded is another question. I also don't believe that just because your wreckage is strewn across the highway, median and blown about in the wind that ballpark weights can't be figured out. Being in the DC area and hearing the news reports of accident reconstructions when there are fatalities makes me think something can be done. I may not know how, but I do believe it's possible. (And, member blueflame recently confirmed those suspicions.)

And finally, I also recommend a slower rate of speed than towing than most of the drivers who pass me. I try to keep my speed right about 62mph.

Anything else you'd like to know from the mind o' Doug?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #78
Fulltime family RVer

My concern with the "go ahead and go over your ratings" crowd is who you're telling this to. In my opinion, the majority of folks who come here and ask "can I tow this?" are the ones who should not be towing "that" with "this" unless they are fully within their ratings. Because "they" are more likely "me" (relative newbie) vs. "you" (old pro).

As I indicated above- working within the published ratings, IMO- gives you the best experience and may possibly help save your bacon. It's "me" that'll botch my parking vs. "you".
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #79

Ependydad,

I am with OC on this. I too weighed to find where we are at when we started. I took worst case with a full tank of water, firewood for a week and all the food. We were under the MAX limits for the tow vehicle, trailer was under and my pin weight was high for the truck combined cargo capacity by 150lbs. So i only have half a tank of gas and minimal water now. With firewood restrictions in Ontario and our camping in Provincial Parks we don't take wood any longer. So we are legal by the prescribed weights. i was more worried of overloading a ultra light fifth wheel frame vs a 11,300 towing capacity truck.

Back in 60/70's trailering with my parents we had a 3/4 Chev Suburban with a 454 V8. The trailers back then weighed a lot, we had a 16 ft boat on top, a 40 hp merc outboard in the back of the Chev, trailer full of food for 3 weeks of northern ontario camping. Over weight, oh yes, everyone else was too (we travelled as a family with 3 RV's). We didn't die or kill anyone.Nothing was ever weighed.
In the 80's i bought my own TT and towed it with many TV and never weighed anything just looked at hitch setup and how much the Club Wagon/Grand Marquis/Chev Safari squatted when ready to travel.

I would more concerned with the person doing 70 mph with 65 mph rated ST tires on the 5th than being overweight on one rating 200 lbs cargo but under overall by 2000 lbs on capability on the TV.

Brian
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #80
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I would more concerned with the person doing 70 mph with 65 mph rated ST tires on the 5th..

Brian
Brian, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I'm going to snip one thing out of it and question that. Old Coot has said the same thing before- he keeps his speed to 55-60mph and lambastes those exceed the 65mph rating of the ST tires.

Why do you believe you can exceed the ratings of your truck but not of your tires? Surely the tires have the same design tolerances built in. While they're rated to 65mph, why can't we exceed them by say 10% and do 72mph?

OC, I'm curious of your answer here, as well.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel, truck