Old 08-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

5th Wheel Towable With 1/2 Ton Truck

Edit by Moderator:
I have used this post to start a new thread to continue the discussion that was on-going in an earlier thread. You can find the original thread here:5th wheel towable with Silverado 1500.
Some of the posts here are still present in that earlier thread as well. Thanks to OldCoot for unknowingly starting out this new thread! :-)

Having dealt with lawyers in the design field for years, I put absolutely no faith in the stickers on the trucks. Trucks are manufactured with a safety factor and I can guarantee them to be significantly greater than what is on the stickers. As I have said numerous times on this forum, they have nothing to do with the limits of the truck's load capacity and every thing to do with protecting the manufacturers from legal repercussions.

Exceeding the stickers by a significant amount is not a wise thing to do, but by the same token, saying they cannot be exceeded is likewise unwise which brings up the same folks say you cannot exceed such and such a sticker but will pull a trailer on st tires in excess of 65 mph and swear it is ok. Go figure.

JMO. Sorry to hijack the thread.

BTW, I have no trouble whatsoever towing a 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS with a 1500 Silverado with a 5.3 and a 3.23 rear end. I really don't know what I would gain with a 2500 or 3500 other than a faster acceleration, harsher ride empty, higher fuel consumption and an empty rear pocket.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
As I have said numerous times on this forum, they have nothing to do with the limits of the truck's load capacity and every thing to do with protecting the manufacturers from legal repercussions.
BTW, I have no trouble whatsoever towing a 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS with a 1500 Silverado with a 5.3 and a 3.23 rear end. I really don't know what I would gain with a 2500 or 3500 other than a faster acceleration, harsher ride empty, higher fuel consumption and an empty rear pocket.
And perhaps with protecting the operator of such a vehicle from legal repercussions, should they be found at-fault in a collision.

As someone famous once said, just because you feel comfortable doing something you've been doing for many years doesn't mean that you should necessarily recommend the practice to someone without your experience.

BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

I have seen a lot of vehicles towing things they should not tow and I have seen many cases of the towed vehicle taking control of the tow vehicle in many cases while investigating motor vehicle accidents for the Dept. of Transportation, tow what you want with whatever you want but man up when the accident occurs and accept responsibility for the injuries to others.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
And perhaps with protecting the operator of such a vehicle from legal repercussions, should they be found at-fault in a collision.

As someone famous once said, just because you feel comfortable doing something you've been doing for many years doesn't mean that you should necessarily recommend the practice to someone without your experience.
Would not recommend anyone to go over 1200# pin wt on a 1/2T with LT E rated tires and not over 800# especially if they are on P tires. JMO.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #5

We had a '09 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L v8 pulling a 29 ft Sundance 5er, then bought a new Wildcat 312 BHX-OK & added airbags soon after. After hauling on a hilly, curvy rd in PA & smelling our burnt brakes, DW started researching weight limits. We now have a 2013 2500 Sierra HD Turbo Deisel. There is no comparison. The air brake makes a big difference too.
Campingwith2kids2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #6

I did not see exactly what 1/2 ton we are talking about but depending on the year and the tow package it has, it could be okay. The 2014 has a pay load of 2000 pounds and max trailer weight of 11400. The 282RKX - eXtraLite Fifth Wheels would work in my opinion. You need to do your own math depending on the year of your truck and remembering pay load includes your pin weigh and everything you plan to put in your truck including passengers.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #7

The stickers on the door might be lower than what the truck can handle but the DOT is not going to care what you think your truck can do, when you get into an accident on the highway. If your truck is found to be over loaded, you will face heavy fines and expensive civil litigation. Plus, if the state police or DOT decide to weigh you, you will face fines and will be unable to continue on your trip!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #8

I just towed our Wild Cat Sterling 30RL with our F 150 with a heavy tow package over four passes in Colorado including the Million Dollar Road north of Durango. My truck has a towing capacity of 11,300 pounds and we were was pulling about 10,000 pounds loaded. The truck has a 6.2 engine and a 383 rear end. We had no problems up or down and averaged 9.5 mpg. Max speed above 11,000 ft was 40 mph. I used all six gears, but the truck handled it even on 7 degree inclines. So far we have towed the camper over 22,000 miles.
Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #9

1/2 ton towable

Johnv; Your truck might handle it ok, but you are over loaded, which is the point that some are making here. Your 10,000lb trailer has a tongue weight of around 2,000lbs. There is not a single F150, with the 6.2, that has a payload of even up to 2000lbs according to their specs. So, your trailer, plus people, plus the hitch and cargo (in the truck) places you seriously over the weight rating of that truck. If you were to get into an accident (your fault or not) the insurance company will have a field day!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

blueline38, are these the voices of experience, speculation or are you a lawyer?

Tags
5th wheel, wheel, truck