Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #41
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
No, in fact the ultra-light 5th wheel's bumpers are not even rated for a bike rack.
Another point is make sure the bolts/nuts are tight on the spare tire and carrier to insure it is not bouncing. If it breaks the bumper, there could be catastrophic results to someone following you.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #42

Of course the weight police on this site are going to tell you you cannot pull a pop-up with a Mack truck because you will be overloaded. They will also tell you that the bumpers are not strong enough to hold the sewer hose inside. This forum is full of people who will tell you everything is a no-no. I do not know how these folks even bring themselves to ever hitch up their unit and leave the house for fear. Personally, my bumper is very well mounted to the frame of the camper. I check my welds frequently to make sure there is no signs of structural failure, as a safety measure, not because I believe the bumper will fail. I also check up in the hole where the pin box is connected to the frame under the bedroom. I know that failure is possible, so I check to make sure I am not having a problem. It does not mean the frame of the camper cannot support itself, it means I like to know that I am not having a problem.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Of course the weight police on this site are going to tell you you cannot pull a pop-up with a Mack truck because you will be overloaded. They will also tell you that the bumpers are not strong enough to hold the sewer hose inside. This forum is full of people who will tell you everything is a no-no. I do not know how these folks even bring themselves to ever hitch up their unit and leave the house for fear. Personally, my bumper is very well mounted to the frame of the camper. I check my welds frequently to make sure there is no signs of structural failure, as a safety measure, not because I believe the bumper will fail. I also check up in the hole where the pin box is connected to the frame under the bedroom. I know that failure is possible, so I check to make sure I am not having a problem. It does not mean the frame of the camper cannot support itself, it means I like to know that I am not having a problem.

X2

I pull a single place jet ski with a hitch mounted on the rear bumper of mine. Originally it had the spare tire mounted on it, which I feel would inflect more damage to the rear bumper bouncing around than the single jet ski will.

Without people trying to push the boundaries this world wouldn't be where we are now... Of course you need to do things safely and live with the results of your actions at the end of the day...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Speaking of Farmers insurance company, non of you guys addressed the issue of accident insurance claims, lawyers, cops, and issues related to operating an overloaded vehicle.

Speaking in a non specific general scenario, sure the 3/4 ton will tow a big heavy RV. However, if you get in an accident or worse yet, cause an accident get ready for the claims adjuster to weasel their way out of minimizing the insurance claim payment to you. If your truck/rv combo is found to be "overloaded" your claim payment could be denied, reduced, etc. If you caused the accident or simply got into one, tickets and court cases could be in your future.

So to summarize, nothing happens till an accident investigation. Then poop happens and boy does it stink!

X2 on this. I work with a lot of insurance companies and every one of them's bottom line to a claim is "Do we really have to pay?" followed by "If we have to pay, can we sue somebody so we can get our money back?".

Aside from the various truck limits, one of the other things to consider is if you're over your license limits. Here in Ontario, a standard Class G (everyday driver) is only allowed a total 11,000kg (~24,000 lbs) combined vehicle/tow and a max tow of 4,600kg (~10,000 lbs). If you want to tow anything over 4,600kg you need a Class A (Tractor Trailer).

I'll acknowledge I don't know the various state laws, but ignoring the max tow portion and assuming the total weight limits are around the same, if you take a 6,000 lb truck, and a 14,000 lb trailer you're already around 20,000 lbs. Add in people, gear, options, variations, etc... you're probably still under. But I'd double check just the same.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #45
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post

X2 on this. I work with a lot of insurance companies and every one of them's bottom line to a claim is "Do we really have to pay?" followed by "If we have to pay, can we sue somebody so we can get our money back?".

Aside from the various truck limits, one of the other things to consider is if you're over your license limits. Here in Ontario, a standard Class G (everyday driver) is only allowed a total 11,000kg (~24,000 lbs) combined vehicle/tow and a max tow of 4,600kg (~10,000 lbs). If you want to tow anything over 4,600kg you need a Class A (Tractor Trailer)I'll acknowledge I don't know the various state laws, but ignoring the max tow portion and assuming the total weight limits are around the same, if you take a 6,000 lb truck, and a 14,000 lb trailer you're already around 20,000 lbs. Add in people, gear, options, variations, etc... you're probably still under. But I'd double check just the same.
I can only speak for MD- it's licensing regulations are according to the GVWR of the truck and trailer in question. If over 26,001 lbs., you need a non-commercial class A license.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #46
Always Learning

PapSmurf- every situation is different. While your bumper may be fine, I can tell you a friend of mine drug his bikes and spare tire down the highway until someone could let him know it was happening. Welds broke *and* the bumper itself twisted. Personally, I'm not going to test my bumper.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #47

Hello papa smurf are you from Tennessee or a transplant? Your 1 1/2 from my cabin in hilham ,tn thanks for the input.
Ecclesiastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #48

Someone mentioned to check weights.?what about length as far as I Can tell the law reads No trailer can exceed 40 feet .what about those 41 and 42 foot 5 ths guess the insurance won't pay a claim on those!!!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we don't have any length laws here that I know about. It can be 100', as long as it's under 4600kg.

But yeah, from my dealing with insurance companies they'll be more than willing to take your money to insure a trailer that you can't legally own, but then use that against you when it comes time to pay.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecclesiastes View Post
Someone mentioned to check weights.?what about length as far as I Can tell the law reads No trailer can exceed 40 feet .what about those 41 and 42 foot 5 ths guess the insurance won't pay a claim on those!!!!!
I can only speak to Maryland. For combinations over 55' (which I'm 58 1/2' tip to tail), I'm supposed to stick to major interstates and then take the most direct route from the interstate to my destination.

I don't know how any other states' rules are.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Hello papa smurf are you from Tennessee or a transplant? Your 1 1/2 from my cabin in hilham ,tn thanks for the input.
Ecclesiastes, I am a native Tennessean. While I do not remember ever being in Hilham, we go to nearby Celina every year. We stay in the Corp of Engineer park over at Dale Hollow Dam. We go in August and always go over to the Amish community (outside of Celina on the Kentucky line) to buy farm fresh vegetables. So, I am familiar with the region.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #52

OK I know I should have but I had never looked at tha Salem hemisphere and it has 3 units that have what I want so DOES ANYONE OWN A 366 bh or a 356QBQ or a 346 qbud? THANKS FOR THE INPUT REALLY
Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #53

Wow that's awesome our cabin is 25 minutes from there. Small world
Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #54

Just got back to Florida from there .check out the Mexican restaurant they just got new owners .they are from Oklahoma .food seems better.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #55

Quote:
OK I know I should have but I had never looked at tha Salem hemisphere and it has 3 units that have what I want so DOES ANYONE OWN A 366 bh or a 356QBQ or a 346 qbud? THANKS FOR THE INPUT REALLY
I have a 356qbq. The Wildwood Heritage Glen which is the same as the Salem Hemisphere. It's big, nice and plenty of room. I tow with a Ram 3500 dually, pulls fine.