Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Don't know what the answer is to your problems but I believe you overestimate the towing capacity of your truck.
Really? He's towing a 7200# dry weight fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton. MORE than enough truck.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #22

Start with the low dollar things.

1st - level your rig
2nd - inflate tires to max capacity, truck and trailer
3rd - check your fifth wheel mount, jaws, etc.
Go on your next camping trip, test interstate and highway speeds, you should see a slight improvement
4th - increase load range of tires on your trailer, this will stiffen your sidewall, new trailer tires are typically not the best
5th - install air bags, this will give you a fine adjustment to level/balance your weight

This should get you 95% there, worked for me. Other fine adjustments are truck tires, truck shocks, 5th wheel hitch types, and there are tons more to help.
rzr4playtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

If it has a Reese Revolution hitch, I'd check that the wedge is tight against the hitch and that the wedge is not moving.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #24

Kamper00.....we have beautiful, well maintained state and interstate roads here in New Hampshire that we happen to be proud of. NOT kidding!
MartyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Really? He's towing a 7200# dry weight fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton. MORE than enough truck.
I did not say he did not have enough truck. I said he may be overestimating the capacity of his truck. He did not provide enough info. of whether he has super cab, crew cab, regular cab. All of which has a different towing capacity. A quick search shows a 2006 f-250 has a 8,800 to 9,200 # towing capacity (GVWR) depending upon configuration. Puts it in the same range (9200) of my 2006 Chevy 2500 D/A. I agree that he should be able to pull it but can he carry it. I think so but until he has the numbers, no one knows for sure.

He has not weighed his unit but did post dry weight. Not all units have accurate posted weights. What is his pin weight? What is his GAWR? What does his truck weigh hooked up and loaded for a normal trip?

I would suggest he weigh his unit separately as another poster stated. Check the numbers. There were several good suggestions and I would definitely check those shocks. My OEM shocks were gone at 25,000 miles and new shocks made a huge difference in towing.

From the Ford RV towing guide 2006

Model: 5.4L V8,
Maximum Cargo GVWR (Lbs.) Weight Rating (Lbs.)
Model Wheelba 5.4L
F-250 Super Duty (2)
4x2 Reg. Cab 137.0" 8,800 #
4x2 SuperCab 141.8" 9,000 #
4x2 SuperCab 158.0" 9,200 #
4x2 Crew Cab 156.2" 9,200 #

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #26

Just a thought, you mentioned the sway was more noticeable going down grades. Could it be a brake adjustment issue, one side or wheel grabbing? As everyone has voiced different scenarios, it may be a combination of small things rather than one obvious ailment. Good Luck!
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #27

Start at the beginning and work your way to the end. Is your rig level? Equal weight on both axles. How do you have it loaded? Heavy tail loading will make it wag like a dog's tail. Check your hitch. Is there slop in the hitch? Does it clunk and creak? Check all of your springs and mounting hardware. Is there excessive play in the equalizer, or the shackles? Check the shackles for ovaled out holes as they can be ready to fail and allow springs to move around. Are you running with full tanks, water, black grey? Where are those tanks located in relation to the axles? Are your axles straight? Have you hit any curbs, or obstructions that may have bent a spindle, or the axle itself? Are your tires crap? There are more tire forums here than any other problem. Don't buy China bombs. Goodyear, Michelin, are the way to go. Be sure your buying a quality tire, EVEN IF IT COSTS MORE! Get it? Other issues may be loose wheel bearings, bent frame, frame flex, front end issues with the tow vehicle, spring issues with the tow vehicle, bad tires on the tow vehicle.
If the trailer is level and all of the issues above are addressed you should tow comfortably down the highway. Air bags as recommended by others here are also a good solution. Good luck to your issues. Troubleshooting a big rig is a pain in the a--. Let us know what you find.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #28

For Sale: 2 pair of slightly used Eclipse viewing glasses
Vetnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #29

Start at the beginning and work your way to the end. Is your rig level? Equal weight on both axles. How do you have it loaded? Heavy tail loading will make it wag like a dog's tail. Check your hitch. Is there slop in the hitch? Does it clunk and creak? Check all of your springs and mounting hardware. Is there excessive play in the equalizer, or the shackles? Check the shackles for ovaled out holes as they can be ready to fail and allow springs to move around. Are you running with full tanks, water, black grey? Where are those tanks located in relation to the axles? Are your axles straight? Have you hit any curbs, or obstructions that may have bent a spindle, or the axle itself? Are your tires crap? There are more tire forums here than any other problem. Don't buy China bombs. Goodyear, Michelin, are the way to go. Be sure your buying a quality tire, EVEN IF IT COSTS MORE! Get it? Other issues may be loose wheel bearings, bent frame, frame flex, front end issues with the tow vehicle, spring issues with the tow vehicle, bad tires on the tow vehicle.
If the trailer is level and all of the issues above are addressed you should tow comfortably down the highway. Air bags as recommended by others here are also a good solution. Good luck to your issues. Troubleshooting a big rig is a pain in the a--. Let us know what you find.
I think you covered them all
Vetnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it has a Reese Revolution hitch, I'd check that the wedge is tight against the hitch and that the wedge is not moving.
A lot of the Flagstaff and Rockwood 5ers have the Revolution Hitch now. Mine (2014) has one and I had a lot of sway around curves, uneven pavement, and down hill similar to that described. This only started when I tried to use it in its swivel mode vs. traditional bolted in place mode. It turns out, after talking to Reese, that the swivel plate should be cleaned of residue, regreased, and torqued to 80 ft. lbs. Apparently assembly or storage at Forest River can leave them contaminated with grit which can wear the plastic friction bearing plate causing the unit to become overly loose and act like a travel trailer with no sway bars. After doing what Reese said mine is dead solid now. This check is to be done periodically. I hate to ask a stupid question but if you have a slider hitch in your short box it is in the towing (forward) position I hope??? and if so, then in that position is your pin centered over the axle (i.e. hitch located properly, not too far back)?

I also agree with adding new shocks and Timbrens or air lifts.

Further with respect to the Revolution Hitch, the stock wedge that comes with them is not necessarily the right one for your particular hitch set up. I had to order a special one from Reese for my Reese Pro 15K.
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetnam67 View Post
For Sale: 2 pair of slightly used Eclipse viewing glasses
LMAO!!!

Will try to lay out more detail...

OK..GVWR 9200 tow rating 11200 5.4 with 4.10's. Cargo weight I believe is 2268 as it does have the HD springs. Super cab short bed. Camper perfectly level, trailer tires @65psi (load range D) truck tires 70/80 as per door sticker. Not using the revolution, have a Reese 16K slider.

and yes the slider is in correct position.

Keep in mind I just picked up this new camper a few months ago, no issues with previous camper what-so-ever.

Just ordered a set of Maxxis load range E tires today, should have the new shoes on the trailer in time for Labor day.
Friend of mine is selling me his Curt Q20 slider, not expecting this to be the solution , but this hitch is much quieter and superior to the ol' Reese hitch.
(the Reese hitch is what I call "clunky" no cushioning)
As far as air bags, truck squat just under an inch..does not look stressed at all.
Next will be to take the trailer to the scales..there's a TA truck stop just a few miles down the road from my house so a easy peezy check

...starting to think that it may be too light on the pin as I stare at the numbers but will have to see at the scales.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #32

I AM NOT AN expert, but I am going with not enough pin weight. There is a video out there that shows how severe of an issue with sway occurs when this is true.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #33

humm....just kind of pondering if there is not enough pin weight...what does one do? tanks are empty (fresh water is in the very back)..wouldn't want to keep gray and/or black filled if the tanks are in a location that it would add weight and I am packed with the majority of things front of the axle...do what Lucille ball did?
Poor design of FR to do this, if it turns out to be the case...
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I AM NOT AN expert, but I am going with not enough pin weight. There is a video out there that shows how severe of an issue with sway occurs when this is true.

I agree. Said it in my earlier post. 5ers like pin weight.

I will admit I might have made a mistake on the tires, for some reason I thought you meant load range D on the truck and that was my recommendation was to get better truck tires. You can't hurt the trailer by getting better tires I just didn't realize (don't know why) you meant the trailer.

With knowing you towed 2 other trailers just fine and nothing with the truck has changed I'm still saying it's trailer related and most likely pin weight related.

Please continue to update us, I'm curious what the culprit really is.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNH View Post
Kamper00.....we have beautiful, well maintained state and interstate roads here in New Hampshire that we happen to be proud of. NOT kidding!
Yes I agree the wife and I spent 3 weeks in Brattleboro bVT but ventured
Cross the boarder into Keene area for bike riding and kayaking
Old 08-22-2017, 02:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2^^^^.........I had the same truck, 06 F250 5.4 engine. It was rated at 15000 lbs towing on the hitch, more if a 5er.

A trip to the scales and posting the results here will get you some definitive advice based on facts, not conjecture.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #37

It will be interesting to hear the outcome, please keep us posted.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #38

Me too, i have a similar issue and will be trying water in the tank next.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #39

It sounds like it might be tail-heavy a little. Might check to see if any tanks are behind the axles and see if any difference if tanks full or empty.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
humm....just kind of pondering if there is not enough pin weight...what does one do? tanks are empty (fresh water is in the very back)..wouldn't want to keep gray and/or black filled if the tanks are in a location that it would add weight and I am packed with the majority of things front of the axle...do what Lucille ball did?
Poor design of FR to do this, if it turns out to be the case...
There is the Problem if you have water in the Fresh tank. IMHO
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, sway, trailer, wheel