Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnamadison View Post
Even more important than the 26k GCWR is the stipulation of a Class A non-commercial license if you tow anything over 10k. But that's MD.
(and I'm continuing it)

Actually, surprisingly for MD- the 26k is the paramount point in all of this. I swapped emails with a fellow at the MDOT and ran through various scenarios:
- "If the trailer is Over 10,000lbs and the trucks weight added together total to 26,000 lbs or less than you can drive it using a class C –car license"
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #22
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
5th wheel hands down imo.
Owned both.

Turbs
X2. Unless you have a very strong reason not to use a 5er, go with it regardless of weight. I to have hauled both and there really is no comparison, regardless of how good a WDH you may get.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Then why not list your tow vehicle ??

That 5th wheel hitched to a 1/2 ton truck is gonna be way over the GVWR, and would not be a enjoyable experience, as well as being dangerous. A 3/4 ton truck maybe, and a 1 ton truck most probably would be OK.

Even the hitch weight of a that bumper pull trailer may put a 1/2 ton truck over the GVWR limit depending on passengers and cargo. If that were the case, again it would probably not be an enjoyable towing experience.

BOTTOM LINE I made it clear that this post was about those with opionions on what they enjoy to tow more and WHY. Not what the weight police want to voice their opinion on and not what brand truck or camper you have. I am an educated consumer have a well equiped tow vehicle. A considerable amount of tow experience with TT trailers and 4 place heavy snowmobile trailer in the winter. ZERO experience with a 5th wheel. If you can not answer the question within the post then do not reply very simple. My question did not involve who towed with vehicle X ever. I will not put my family in danger only ask what option is better to enjoy the family trips.

I appreciate all that have answered with your personal experience.
bardeenm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Check your state driver license requirement if you go over 10000lbs GVW.
What?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #25

I am coming up on 1 year of owning a 5er and was amazed and how much nicer it tows than my smaller, lighter TT that we had.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #26

I can't speak to the towing aspects, but I loved the room and storage in our 5er. The downside was that it was a pain to park in state and county parks (too big) and DH and I had our worst RV fights over it. Would not even think of going back to a 5er. Now, a class C? I'd do that again in a heartbeat!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(and I'm continuing it)

Actually, surprisingly for MD- the 26k is the paramount point in all of this. I swapped emails with a fellow at the MDOT and ran through various scenarios:
- "If the trailer is Over 10,000lbs and the trucks weight added together total to 26,000 lbs or less than you can drive it using a class C –car license"
Interesting. I'm glad they feel that way as I would fall beneath those limits although I would suspect that MANY people are over the 26K limit as well.

Taking into account todays F350 dually diesel for example at a 14k GVWR. That only leaves you 12K before you're over the GCWR requirement.

This implies you'd get stopped, but if you did, that would probably hurt your wallet. I personally may go ahead and get it anyways. Then I'm free to move to a HDT someday.

As to not completely hijack, to the OP. People will always want the details of your TV, just have to listen, smile and move on if you want to get the information you are looking for.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #28
Denver, CO

COLORADO.

Per the below it is 26,000lbs GVW or GCW for the commercial liscense, no other criteria. At 18,000 soaking wet, no problem.

Commercial driver's licenses. The department also issues commercial driver's licenses,
which are required to operate:
! Any motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or combination vehicle
weight rating of over 26,000 pounds;
! Any vehicle that transports quantities of hazardous materials that requires a
warning placard under the Department of Transportation regulations; or
! Any vehicle designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardeenm1 View Post
BOTTOM LINE I made it clear that this post was about those with opionions on what they enjoy to tow more and WHY. Not what the weight police want to voice their opinion on and not what brand truck or camper you have. I am an educated consumer have a well equiped tow vehicle. A considerable amount of tow experience with TT trailers and 4 place heavy snowmobile trailer in the winter. ZERO experience with a 5th wheel. If you can not answer the question within the post then do not reply very simple. My question did not involve who towed with vehicle X ever. I will not put my family in danger only ask what option is better to enjoy the family trips.
Sorry I didn't mean to change your post topic, it's just that your option included a fifth very close to a 10000 lbs and perhaps a limit, and some people aren't aware of DL requirements if in fact there are special requirements! Better to be pro active as opposed to being reactive I think . Bye the way have towed both TT and FW, would not go back to TT.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #30
Steve Jackson

Everything I've heard from people I know that have 5'ers say that are a lot nicer to tow. I would love to buy one myself but not equipped for it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #31

I have owned both. Would not go back to a TT fifth wheel tows a lot better plus you have more storage.
67redbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #32
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
I have used the calculators and I am within the needed ratings.
The topic is purely to discuss what is more enjoyable towing experience.
I think the general consensus everywhere is that a 5th wheel is the more enjoyable towing experience. As to why - that is more debatable.

Generally, I don't think the weight penalty is going to be something you will notice. I know you said your truck is rated for both, so let's leave it at that. If true, then the difference in weight is probably not going to have much impact on MPG, or acceleration (neither trailer is light weight). You might loose 10% efficiency, but really, is that so significant?

I think the question is probably more along the lines of the inherent benefits of either design. With a 5th wheel, you can achieve a shorter-length overall package that might be easier to tow. With a TT you are shorter-height which may be of benefit in choosing storage options.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #33

in either case if they are set up properly and not over spec they will both tow great, with the 5th having an edge in ease of hookup, turning clearance, and stability....

now with that said, im towing a long as$$ bumper pull...in the end it came down to needing my truck bed. with me, my wife, my son and daughter, there is no where for the 2 large dogs to ride...so on extended trips, the leer top goes on and the dogs ride in the back along with the coolers. it was a compromise based on the needs of my camping scenarios.....

with that said, if i was given the opportunity to tow a 10k lb bumper pull or a 10k lb 5th with no other considerations, of course i would pick the 5th....but the real world is not that simple...lol

good luck...hope you find some viable input in all this....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to change your post topic, it's just that your option included a fifth very close to a 10000 lbs and perhaps a limit, and some people aren't aware of DL requirements if in fact there are special requirements! Better to be pro active as opposed to being reactive I think . Bye the way have towed both TT and FW, would not go back to TT.
The mention of the weight in regards to the law was very helpful and has had many good posts in response.

My main goal was to not make a post that turns into a weight war of what a vehicle can do or brand of truck/trailer. We have far to many of those already!

Luckily I will be still a considerable distance away from the discussed 26K limits found in most areas within the states.
bardeenm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Sounds to me that once you go 5th wheel you never go back!

This reinforces others opinions that I have had. The not ever having the 5th wheel and having numerous TT previous though had me wondering if the few people I had spoken to had just drank the 5th "Kool Aid" but it sounds as if the 5th wheel "Kool Aid" is in fact the good stuff!
I agree, It is good "Kool Aid"
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
5th wheel hands down imo.
Owned both.

Turbs
me too only had a 5er 6 months , lots of room and pulls way nicer...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #37

Personally, I have towed both and have no plans to go back to a TT. But, having said that, at the moment both the DW and I are able bodied and can easily navigate the steps, both up into the camper and on upstairs to the bedroom. I am sure I would have to shove DW out the window if we ever had an emergency, as I cannot imagine her jumping of her own free will.

I have friends that moved back to a TT for the above mentioned reason, they both got to be less than able bodied, with the stairs becoming a problem and they did not know how they would escape in an emergency. A shove out the window would most likely be as fatal as the emergency. Both very valid reason for having a TT.

Since you mention your plans to tow to FL every year, I have to assume you are not 25. So the one level, bedroom door, fewer steps train of thought may be your best option.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's very state-dependent. In Maryland, if you go over a gross combined weight rating of 26,001 pounds, you're required to have a special class A non-commercial license. Which reminds me... I need to head into the MVA.

BUT- you don't have to be licensed for the state that you're driving into. Just where your license actually is issued from. If you're fine on a regular license in your home state, coming to MD doesn't mean you have to have the class A/non-commercial license.
What else would you expect from a state so close to Washington, DC?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
What else would you expect from a state so close to Washington, DC?
Sooooooo, true!!!!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote