Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #21
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
And ask the next one (owner) for a kiss for save'n 'em all the work and expense...think the turn-over on RV's happens sooner than the TV...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
And ask the next one (owner) for a kiss for save'n 'em all the work and expense...think the turn-over on RV's happens sooner than the TV...
Not in this household. Had 4 trucks, but only 3 RVs in last 6yrs. For a couple hundred bucks you can raise the 5er and not do anything to affect the ride or payload of a truck.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #23
Left Coast

Real trucks have rear leaf springs with spacer blocks, 8' beds.... Lowering this one was a snap....remove blocks, clamp front coils, ride stayed the same. Now the wheel wells look like they fit these tires...
Old 01-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They put those spacer blocks in Dodges to make them look like a real truck and not little toys. Trying to keep up with the big boys. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
And when you sell it?
when does that ever come to mind as we are modifying our campers for OUR enjoyment? Next guy can do whatever he wants
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #26
Left Coast

So get busy putt'n some stuff in there....I like free-bees!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #27

Will i make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
I have a 2013 Chev Silverado Longbed 2500HD, when i attach the wheeler to my ute the wheeler sits high at the front, if i lower the hitch i risk the wheeler hitting the top of my ute sides. its a decision of whether i raise the chassis on the wheeler or the tyre size the tyres don't have a great gap between them now so tyre size could be a problem, is raising the chassis going to cause top heavy towing issues ?. or can i lower the actual ute on the rear end ?. advice would be great.
Regards
Steve
Since you have a torsion axle set-up on your trailer i would contact the factory and ask them how to raise the couch, as this is not a new problem, many newer trucks have had many issues with this issue.

So start with the company first as you do not want to void some kind of warranty

Hope this helps and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHDRIDER00 View Post
Hi guys. A friend of mine delivered new units for a while with a 2013 Ram 3500 4WD. He had to lower the rear of the truck, one of the requirements of the company he was contracted to. He removed the bottom leaf from the spring pack, the one just above the rear axle. It's very short and thick. Do one side at a time so the rear will remain stable. If not the rear will want to move all over the place. I think he put the leaf on top of the spring pack. Just an option that worked for him. No clearance problems.

Will removing the leaf affect the payload weight or any other vehicle weight limits?
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
Will removing the leaf affect the payload weight or any other vehicle weight limits?
If you remove a spring, it most definitely will reduce the payload capacity of your truck.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
If you remove a spring, it most definitely will reduce the payload capacity of your truck.
I kinda thought so! Basically if there is ever an issue with a vehicle that has modified by someone similar to this they are on their own to pay for possible damages or worse outcomes to their or others property or person. Whew, not worth the risk for me anyway.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #31
Left Coast

Any spring company can custom make springs
Old 01-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dexter axles make a lift kit for torsion axle trailers that sells for under $200 and raises about 3". Lippert has there correct trac (I think that's what it's called) that will raise a leaf spring trailer about 2", plus give you adjustments for correct tracking. Usually a couple inches on a trailer will make an acceptable difference for clearance on the TV.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:15 AM   #33

I agree about the correct trac system. I posted a similar question as the OP -- but I have a 2011 f350 4x4, LB, CC 6.7PSD. I followed the advice about the correct trac (and I added the equa-flex equalizer and upgraded moryde hd shackles). I completed the install over New Years weekend. Between the correct trac and raising the pinbox one hole (approx 1 inch)-- I'm close enough to level. My receiver is the B&W companion, set at lowest setting. I think the B&W (even at lowest setting) is still a bit taller than other hitches. So you might want to consider which hitch you buy, and what kind of minimum and maximum height adjustment they allow.

I haven't done anything more than a 30 mile loop since I added the suspension components, but I can say that it's nice that the 5er is now acceptably level. It makes it much nicer inside the trailer now that table/couch/bed are pretty close to level while hooked up to my truck. I couldn't really imagine doing much boon docking with it nose-high. More importantly, I was concerned that towing nose-high was putting too much stress and weight on the rear tires of the 5er. It honestly feels like the truck rides much smoother on that 30 mile loop--I think because when it was nose-high, my pin weight was probably light and made the truck bounce a bit on the larger bumps in on the freeway. Now that the coach is taller and sits level and the center of gravity has shifted forward, it seems like everything tows smoother. Of course, it could also be due to the equa-flex that was added at the same time--or a combination of both.

I did he install over about 8-10 hours. Took my time over 2 days. I'm not going to lie--it was a bit frightening lifting the rig in the air and supporting on many jack-stands. I also used the landing gear on the front and kept the truck hooked up for added measure. It was rock solid--but just knowing the weight of the coach and crawling under it without its tires took some courage. You have to drill through both inside and outside of the leaf spring hangers in order to install the correct trac kit--which requires you crawl under the coach to drill the inner part.

I would like to take my rig to a shop with the equipment to set the alignment now that I have the correct trac, but I'm so happy with the results of just lifting the thing and getting it level. Now--just need more time for some camping!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

RJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Dexter axles make a lift kit for torsion axle trailers that sells for under $200 and raises about 3". Lippert has there correct trac (I think that's what it's called) that will raise a leaf spring trailer about 2", plus give you adjustments for correct tracking. Usually a couple inches on a trailer will make an acceptable difference for clearance on the TV.
26ddss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, towing, wheel