Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Site Team

6.6 duramax.

Make me look good, please.
Father in law has 2003 2500 Chevy. Today it will not start. Batteries charged, spins good but no start. He thinks water in diesel. His son pumped on something near firewall, passenger side, under hood and looks like a filter under it. Says it should pump up tight but won't. He said he saw bubbles around the seal when he pumped it. ??? I know nothing about diesel but told them I knew someone who knows diesels.
This is where you guys come in. Lol.
Perhaps someone here with 6.6 duramax has experienced this and can offer advice. It'll sure help my father in law out of a bind. (and make me look good) if you have answers.
Thanks. I'll be watching. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Make me look good, please. Father in law has 2003 2500 Chevy. Today it will not start. Batteries charged, spins good but no start. He thinks water in diesel. His son pumped on something near firewall, passenger side, under hood and looks like a filter under it. Says it should pump up tight but won't. He said he saw bubbles around the seal when he pumped it. ??? I know nothing about diesel but told them I knew someone who knows diesels. This is where you guys come in. Lol. Perhaps someone here with 6.6 duramax has experienced this and can offer advice. It'll sure help my father in law out of a bind. (and make me look good) if you have answers. Thanks. I'll be watching. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.
He was pumping on the priming bulb. The only place he should see bubbles would be if the bleeder screw was open. If he is seeing bubbles around the fuel filter seal, the filter is not installed properly, come loose, or broken seal. The problem is at the source of the bubbles.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks. Sounds like brother in law was right. He went on a mission to find Napa open and get filter and seal. I'll pass this on and report results.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

you can get a rebuild filter head kit for around 15.00 better then 150 for the entire thing.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew

Sounds like air in the system as evidenced by the bubbles. Cure that symptom, reprime and then attempt to start again. You will most likely be successful.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

I had same kind of problem on a truck a couple weeks ago.
- check the fuel lines going to the filter housing. If there is moisture/ dirt accumulation on them they are letting air in( and a little fuel out). Replace the lines if this is evident
- also the filter housings can develop a crack in them, so the whole assembly will need replaced.
-the assembly includes cast housing with top wires w/connector, fuel filter and the water sensor.

On a #1 d-max (the 8th digit of the vin, on '01-2004.5) the housing is $438.00 +tax employee cost
.... but on a #2 d-max ( again the 8th digit of vin and a 2004.5 and 2005 models) the almost exact housing assembly is $103.00+tax employee cost. The only difference is the angle of the hose conections. ****On the older model you may have to change the 1/2" fuel lines and add a couple inches of length too them. But that $6 of fuel line will save you $300+ bucks.

-of course unless you know someone at your dealership you will probly need to add $50+ bucks too those prices for a walk in customer.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

Thanks millertime. Some will appreciate the money saving tip.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
Thanks millertime. Some will appreciate the money saving tip.
Any time!
And as you stated above it will probably start as-is after bleeding system....but if it has a slight air leak somewhere and vehicle is not started frequently enough to overcome the slight air leak, it will be a reoccurring problem. That was the issue on the truck I looked at the other day.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

dont buy a filter head assy, get the kit here and save
also replace the lines (rubber) drivers side from frame to engine as they collapse over time and restrict fuel (under vacume)

Complete Duramax Filter Head Rebuild Kit

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Should be a petcock at the bottom of the filter. Open it, catch some fuel in a container, let it settle for a few minutes and see if it has water. Does sound like an air leak.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also this helps with future fuel filter changes.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=33990

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Thanks all. Thought I replied last night but can't see it. Brother in law read manual and learned he had not purged (bled) it correctly so he did it again and she started right up. Father in law was trying to tell him what to do to no avail. Father in law not able, physically to do maintenance anymore. I'll pass all this along and store it for future reference as I may have to do it for him at some point.
Thanks for replies.