Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have a Chevy but when I start up and I'm pulling the camper I push tow/haul then the exhaust brake and when I get up to speed I set cruise, coming down Black Mountain which is steep I set the cruise on like 45 and never touch the brake. Is Ford like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Pretty much... But Fords look a whole lot better doing it..,

On the serious side.. Spock, do you not use tow/haul all the time? Just on hills? I use mine all time while towing, even while towing the utility trailer. Saves the brakes!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsscully View Post
The super duties didn't get a true exhaust brake until the 2015 MY when the second generation 6.7 with a non-wastegated gt37 turbo was released.

What is the difference between the two? I am a GM guy, so I don't keep up with Ford much. My exhaust brake was programmed into my 07' via EFI Live. All I have to do is have it set to my tow setting and have Tow/Haul on and when I come down a pass it automatically comes on. The turbo vane position goes to 99%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
Pretty much... But Fords look a whole lot better doing it..,

On the serious side.. Spock, do you not use tow/haul all the time? Just on hills? I use mine all time while towing, even while towing the utility trailer. Saves the brakes!

I use the tow/haul all the time and I use the exhaust brake on all the time. I need the exhaust brake more in town than in mountains. I tried a few times not to use the tow/haul to get better fuel mileage but I think I get better with the tow/haul on I keep truck at 63 or less for that. My Chevy pulls good but a FORD is the boss

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #24

I went to/from Nashville in the last week. The exhaust brake kept me at 60 mph going down hill in 6th gear at 5% grade. Going up the same grade I held 60 mph in 6th gear, of course 200 psi turbo boost climbing. Trailer and Cargo around 11,500 lbs.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I went to/from Nashville in the last week. The exhaust brake kept me at 60 mph going down hill in 6th gear at 5% grade. Going up the same grade I held 60 mph in 6th gear, of course 200 psi turbo boost climbing. Trailer and Cargo around 11,500 lbs.

I hope that was a typo and you meant 20 psi of boost. Not 200 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #26

I just got back from a CT to CO road trip with our Sabre 36QBOK. I won't go into detail how much I love the engine/exhaust brake on my '12 F350 SRW 6.7m but suffice to say it is awesome. That said, I have desended long grades both ways, tow/haul w/ engine brake OR shifting manually +/-, both do the job well. Now the cool thing, we went up Pikes Peak ( no, without the 5ver ), I used 2nd and third gear manually most of the way up, and used the engine brake (tow/haul) on the way down. The only time I had to tap the brake was rolling into the hairpins and at the mandatory stop midway down, which BTW my rotor temp was only 161 degrees. I think a lot of that was coming to the stop for the check station. But the engine brake worked great desending the mountain nevertheless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809_124501.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	86085  
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #27

I used the exhaust brake a lot in our last trip to the NC mountains. Between tow/haul mode and the exhaust brake, I had no issues descending inclines up to 12%. I also use it in heavy stop and go traffic to save the brakes. I'm very happy with the towing capabilities of the truck. After driving though the mountains, I was impressed. It performed much better than I expected.

Tags
power, brakes