Old 08-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

6.7 Powerstroke exhaust brake

I just purchased a new to me 2012 f350 drw 6.7 liter diesel. I know that it has an integrated exhaust brake that is activated in tow/haul mode but wasn't exactly sure how it worked. I recently towed a 14k toy hauler up I-84 to Portland. It behaved a lot like my old 6.0 when going down some of the grades by downshifting and holding speed so I never really noticed the actual exhaust brake. Finally on the way back I think I heard it working. I was coming down out of the Blue Mountains down a construction zone at about 45 mph. I usually use the cruise control to enable the grade shifting and toggle the plus or minus buttons to slow down and drop gears instead of manually shifting down a gear or even hitting the brakes to slow. I don't remember which gear I was in but probably 3rd or maybe even 2nd. At about 3800 rpm I started to accelerate and got really close to the redline and then all of a sudden I heard this loud growl for about 5-6 seconds and I instantly dropped about 5mph. It wasn't the cooling fan as that is more of a whirring noise. If that was the exhaust brake really kicking in it worked great but I am still in the dark as to its actual operation. I have scoured the forums online looking for it but nothing quite like what I experienced has been described in its usage. If any one else has felt that loud groaning please let me know if it is the exhaust brake kicking in or just an over rev.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

togo444 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Get that toy hauler weighed. We did and its over weight for the same truck!
Also check your hitch tongue weight. We were told 1200 lbs. tongue weight and its actually 1800 lbs!!

You can manually down shift in this truck. Dont use cruise control, make sure its in tow mode. Our RPM didn't get that high... you may want to check it out.

Also look on the Ford forums... there is a guy out there that has a fourm just for Ford F-250's.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

I have a 2012 F250 6.7 and I believe its more an engine brake than an exhaust brake, while going down hill the engine will slow the truck down as long as you are in tow/haul mode. So far I have not manually shifted the gears. I just keep in in drive and let the trans and engine do its thing. I have not yet tackled really steep grades in my travels. I am sure others will chime in. That sound you heard is not typical at least for my diesel.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Get that toy hauler weighed. We did and its over weight for the same truck!
Also check your hitch tongue weight. We were told 1200 lbs. tongue weight and its actually 1800 lbs!!

You can manually down shift in this truck. Dont use cruise control, make sure its in tow mode. Our RPM didn't get that high... you may want to check it out.

Also look on the Ford forums... there is a guy out there that has a fourm just for Ford F-250's.

He has an f350 dually towing a 14k pound fiver..... How's he overweight????
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
ooppps my error... read 250 not 350.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

The super duties didn't get a true exhaust brake until the 2015 MY when the second generation 6.7 with a non-wastegated gt37 turbo was released.
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I have a 2012 F250 6.7 and I believe its more an engine brake than an exhaust brake, while going down hill the engine will slow the truck down as long as you are in tow/haul mode. So far I have not manually shifted the gears. I just keep in in drive and let the trans and engine do its thing. I have not yet tackled really steep grades in my travels. I am sure others will chime in. That sound you heard is not typical at least for my diesel.

What do you mean it more of an engine brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

Yes they got an on/off dash switch with the larger turbocharger and revamp of the '15 Powerstrokes but I believe it was integrated with tow haul with the advent of the 6.7 scorpion engines from '11-'14. The reviews by the pros panned the exhaust brake on all of those models but as far as I know it is there and I think I got to feel it work. Any help please?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
togo444 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #9

one of the biggest complainants from ford owners is the exh brake, the valve springs are soft and it will not hold the pressure , it does work but you need RPM and if you don't like the high revs get a aftermarket unit. I don't own a ford 6.7 but have driven plenty of them, my duramax did not come with the VGT brake from the factory but a little tuning on the ECM and it is now activated , I can hold 65 with cruise selected and tow haul on and I never see above 3.5k rpm on the biggest hills, between the grade shift and exh brake it really holds the speed

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #10

I found with my 2014 f350 dully I don't have to manually change gears in tow mode. If you keep it in drive and press the break and release while going down hill it will automatically down shift one gear to slow down the truck. If you are still going to fast hit the break again and it will down shift again. I tow a 12k 5er and have gone down both sides of us50 near lake Tahoe and never used the brakes except using this method.

j free is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, brakes