Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Besides that I'm seeing 7000 lbs base and 700 lbs hitch weight.

I'd be curious what the ccc of the truck is.

Op can you get the cargo carrying capacity of the door or door jamb of your truck?

Its with your tire info.
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Thanks for all the info/advice -- unfortunately, a TV swap is not an option at this point so my wife and I will have to do some more shopping WRT the TT's on the market that can easily accommodate a family of 5 in the "ultra-lite" class.

...or do a gear swap? 3.73's/4.10's? (Pending our acceptance of the sharp decline in gas mileage/top-end).

f1100turbo -- I'll look into that ccc for you. I'm at work (shhhh) and driving my wife's Tahoe.

John
__________________

__________________
Time-Flyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time-Flyz View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Thanks for all the info/advice -- unfortunately, a TV swap is not an option at this point so my wife and I will have to do some more shopping WRT the TT's on the market that can easily accommodate a family of 5 in the "ultra-lite" class... or do a gear swap? 3.73's/4.10's? (Pending our acceptance of the sharp decline in gas mileage/top-end...
Remember, you don't have to stay in 4th gear or even 3rd when you're in the mountains. Switching to a 3.73 or 4.10 is expensive and it will eat your lunch in gas mileage. Better to shift gears and get the benefit of the higher gear when not towing.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
The dry weight of tt means nothing.

That weight is of the tt as it rolls off the assembly line .

From there the dealer will add and not limited to.
propane tanks full of propane 160 lbs.
A battery depending on size 60 + - lbs.
Awning.
Microwave.
Stabilizer jacks.
Spare tire and holder.
And any other options they want to add after the factory.
Normal added user items is 1000 lbs.
Hitch and sway bars 100 + lbs.

Don't forget your hw tank when full adds another 40 to 80 lbs depending on gallonage.


If you are going to travel with water loaded there's another 200+ lbs.

You also have to figure cargo in truck.
Passengers
Full tank of gas
Wood
Bikes
Coolers full of food and beverages and ice.
Dogs cats etc etc

Now do the math with your truck.
Assuming the TT dealership is being honest (I know, I know...), the 6,700 lbs figure is coming from a tag that has been affixed to the tongue of the TT after being weighed by the dealer upon arrival; this amount differs slightly from the figured posted on the TT from the manufacturer.

John
__________________
Time-Flyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time-Flyz View Post

Assuming the TT dealership is being honest (I know, I know...), the 6,700 lbs figure is coming from a tag that has been affixed to the tongue of the TT after being weighed by the dealer upon arrival; this amount differs slightly from the figured posted on the TT from the manufacturer.

John
The only sticker affixed by anybody is the manufacturer. The dealer does not alter or replace any part of it when the receive it or deliver it to the customer.
They do add weight to all tt and 5ers but no number on that sticker reflects it.

Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
The dry weight of tt means nothing.

That weight is of the tt as it rolls off the assembly line .

From there the dealer will add and not limited to.
propane tanks full of propane 160 lbs.
A battery depending on size 60 + - lbs.
Awning.
Microwave.
Stabilizer jacks.
Spare tire and holder.
And any other options they want to add after the factory.
Normal added user items is 1000 lbs.
Hitch and sway bars 100 + lbs.
The dealer does not add anything but the battery(s) and propane, at least mine didn't. 2 30# propane tanks don't total 160#
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
The only sticker affixed by anybody is the manufacturer. The dealer does not alter or replace any part of it when the receive it or deliver it to the customer.
They do add weight to all tt and 5ers but no number on that sticker reflects it.

Turbs

Yes sir -- understood.

This Dealership adds a tag (printed/hanging via clasp) to each TT/Fifth-wheel/pop-up etc -- this number reflects the weighed-upon-arrival-amount (6,700).


Either way, I do see what you are saying; 6,700 is just the start (bicycles, clothes, food, water, fuel, etc.)


BTW -- my wife did some searching in our owner's manual and found the following WRT our truck...

Max Trailer Wieght - 9,500
GCWR - 15,000

John
__________________
Time-Flyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The dealer does not add anything but the battery(s) and propane, at least mine didn't. 2 30# propane tanks don't total 160#
Thanks OldCoot -- Appreciate the advise WRT down-shifting. I know it wont pull it "fast" but I don't want to struggle to maintain ~65 on the flat roads or smell tranny heading up a 7% on a hot AZ day.

John
__________________
Time-Flyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
With kids on board?
Not a chance I would do it.
There should be a camper you would be happy with in the 5000-5500 lb range, which your truck should be able to handle a lot more safely.
7000 lbs is a lot of weight hanging off the bumper of a 1/2 ton.
And your rear end gears are meant for gas mileage, not pulling. That would put a lot of strain on your transmission.
__________________
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

The dealer does not add anything but the battery(s) and propane, at least mine didn't. 2 30# propane tanks don't total 160#
What I meant to say is 60lbs each.
30 lbs of propane + or -
Tanks weight approx 28 lbs each.
Total 120 lbs.

Normally campers are not shipped with a spare or spare hanger.

I had a talk with the purchasing agent at my dealer awhile back and he stated that very often they purchase campers without certain items becuase they have items they can buy cheaper or bought a truck load .
Itens such as .
Tvs
Microwaves
Awnings
Mattress
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.