Old 01-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I have been driving manual trans trucks on and off for over 30 years. Your left foot won't kill you and the shifting becomes so routine you will shift without even thinking about it.

So have I including many a OD green 2 1/2 ton, but that doesn't mean I want to shift when the truck can do it intelligently for me, or even more intelligently with a tuner.

Now I have both a 6 speed and an automatic in the same transmission anyway . . .

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #12
My truck now is an auto but I still have an old 1980's jeep with a 5 speed that's kind of fun to take out for a spin once in a while. it is really a personal preference. The new autos are great and are even becoming more and more common in heavy OTR trucks. Probably getting to the point where it is hard to find new drivers who know how to use manuals anymore.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #13
yes i just taught my 15 year old son how to drive an old 4-spd. his first question was what gear do i put it in.i replied all of them.we looked it up on utube so he could watch some one actualy driving one. he can drive one now after one u-joint replacment. he needed to know how to replace that too.
lee h hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #14
My belief is that if you are looking at Fords and want an auto trans get a 2003 or newer. That is when the TorqShift auto trans came out. Before that they were real junk. I bought a new 2003 F450 with the 6spd manual and liked the trans a lot. Very smooth and quick shifting and not at all what I expected when I ordered it. BTW, that truck did have both engine oil and trans coolers from the factory.
But our new to us 2010 Lexi has the TorqShift and it seems to be very good. Would not care for a manual now since I don't see any advantage except purchase price.
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #15
Automatic Transmissions make more torque than a Manual. By a wide margin. They have a torque converter PLUS the torque of the gear ratios.

But Automatics are MUCH more expensive to build and maintain, make more heat, require an extra computer in today's world and are heavier.

In over-the-road trucks, cost is important. Very important. Automatics are thousands more to buy and maintain. And with the constant up and down-shifting, need to be rebuilt quite a bit more often.... About twice as often. And that takes the rig off the road. A cardinal sin....

An automatic transmission is the better choice in a passenger/light-duty vehicle application. It just is. Period. Unless you enjoy shifting gears all the time.

On a Semi, the rig owners don't really care if the driver is up and down-shifting 20, 30, 40, 50 times an hour.

You might.

And the Ford 4R100 is one of the BEST transmissions of that era. Period.

It was rated to handle 1000 lbs of torque but when people start modifying their diesels to make crazy amounts of power, they'll fail. Like any of them.

And if that 6-speed manual is a ZF? Good luck trying to rebuild it if you ever have to. Just swap it out and be done with it. Been there, done that, burned the T-Shirt.

But I can see the attraction of a Manual. Nothing wrong with them as long as you know what you're getting into.
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #16
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
UPDATE on FORD transmission

This a good article on Ford's transmission.

The Top 7 Features of Ford’s All-New 6R140 Six-Speed Heavy-Duty Transmission - News
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #17
Shifted manually for many miles; not any more. Love my DuraMax & Allison TX.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
My .02.... I had a Saturn car the CVT transmission went out on...5K for the trans alone... I said NOPE. I figured a 6 spd auto had to be at least 4-5K. I can cut in a lot of clutches
for 4-5K. I have an old 2005 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L with the G56 transmission... I could not be happier than I am. I have had several manuals... This sets the standard for manuals. IMHO
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #19
CVT trans are usually going to be double, what an auto would cost.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #20
I would have preferred a manual trans in my 2500HD. My wife has always driven a manual trans (I think that made it easier to teach her to ride a motorcycle) and has one in her Subaru.

Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Duramax and Allison 6 speed
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote