Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

911 Help Cannot hitch 5ver

Dealer closed so no leave on vacation Thursday. We just got our new/used 5th wheel. We have a Pro 16k Hitch with a sidewinder on the trailer. No mater what we try we cannot hook up. Its the Wedges that keep stopping it from going all the way back into the hitch and sits on the edge / top of the plate so the jaws will not grap the pin. 2 hours, every hight & speed backing up etc etc. Do I need to unscrew the wedges and then put them back on when hitched ? Now that would be hell !

Mike
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I am not familiar with your hitch. I assume there is a handle you pull to retract the jaws so you can connect.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Yes sir, 1 Handle, pulled out and jaws wide open. Either cannot get the pin to go to the back so jaws can grab it or come from top and pin is in back but cannot lower down because darn wedges are resting on one side or the other of the plate ! Seems wedges may have moved after the towing home. Left message and 3 emails to 3 different dealer staff to call me in morning.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #4

Did it work at one time? I ask because it uses different wedges to be compatible with the hitch in use. If it has never locked, I would suspect the wrong wedge. If it locked once, I suppose it could be possible that it was the wrong wedge, but was able to be forced in once, but has now damaged the wedge. Does the wedge have any gouges or appear bent? The other possibility is that if it never locked, you have the wrong wedge to start with.

If the wedges are correct and the jaws for the hitch are open, you should have the sidewinder slightly lower than the capture plate on the hitch, so that as you back under it, it will slightly lift the front of the fifth wheel. The weight of the fifth wheel will hold the sidewinder onto the capture plate and the wedge should guide itself into the slot, but you need to be lined up pretty straight.

For those not familiar with the sidewinder, it has a wedge that goes into the slot of the hitch like the SuperGlide. It keeps the king pin from rotating on the capture plate. The pivot point is back at the pin box, like the Reese Revolution.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get it figured out so that you can get on your way.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I would love to see pictures. I work better with visual aids.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #6

This provides some good visuals
Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Seems pretty simple.

So, is the issue with your hitch or the Sidewinder?

When you said the wedges won't line up with the plate, I assume it is because you are not lined up properly. Since the dealer was able to do it, seems the wedge is the correct one for your hitch.

The system looks to be pretty unforgiving when it comes to line up.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #8

I have a sidewinder and love it, it is easy to hook up at any angle. When you install the wedge you need to be hooked up without it being tight on the hitch. Hitch up then take a hammer and tap it in as far as it will go. You will only be able to tighten the last bolt. Then un hook and tighten the other bolt. That would be the same instructions if you use the supplied wedge or the custom wedge that you would have to order. On the back of the unit it will give you the the # of the wedge needed for your hitch. You can get it at E-trailer. I used a bigger wedge for my Huskey 16k then had it shaved down( at a machine shop $15.00) for to fit my jaws perfectly. You can also call the manufacturer and they will send you a wedge that you will need. Mine works flawlessly now. Do not listen about being harder, it is really alot easier that I have found. Hope this helps. Their is a 800 # 0n the hitch. Once the king pin enters no matter what angle the wedge will then line you up for the hook- up. has to have 120lbs of tork
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Do not listen about being harder, it is really alot easier that I have found. Hope this helps. Their is a 800 # 0n the hitch. Once the king pin enters no matter what angle the wedge will then line you up for the hook- up. has to have 120lbs of tork
Thanks for the input. Not having even seen the hitch in person I was only going by the video.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike101 View Post
Do I need to unscrew the wedges and then put them back on when hitched ? Now that would be hell !
Mike
You probably need to do this once to make sure it is adjusted properly. Loosen the bolts, slide the wedge back, hook up, make sure you are perfectly straight, then slide the wedge forward and tighten both bolts. Then you should not have to do it again!

It really shouldn't be difficult. Mine is super easy to hook up, and I don't have to "slam" into the hitch as I have seen other non-SideWinder folks do. Just back up easy, it will align as necessary, then just latch your hitch.

You do need to make sure you have the proper wedge for your hitch, though. If you don't have a Reese, you need to order the proper wedge (even though the one that comes with it is "universal"). $30-$50 for the proper wedge is money well spent!

One other thing: grease all around your wedge really well. It makes for a "slicker" hookup and things just slide right into place.

Good luck!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #11

fordmantpw ... You probably need to do this once to make sure it is adjusted properly. Loosen the bolts, slide the wedge back, hook up, make sure you are perfectly straight, then slide the wedge forward and tighten both bolts. Then you should not have to do it again!

Thats it. loseend the wedge, hooked up, tighten one, un hook, tighten 2 and hooked up. did it twice and all working now. I missed the post above by fordmantpw because I was at the trailer and on the phone with Reese support. They said the exact same thing and it worked. Reese was amazing with help. Very Very happy and looks like we leave on Friday for the maiden voyage. Thank you everyone.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #12

by the way, the reese tech told me to not open the jaws to hitch up, leave arm in and the pin will do the work. Only open to unhook. dealer never showed me the. Thank you Reese
Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #13

Glad to hear you have it fixed. Have a great trip!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #14

Glad you got it working!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #15

Quote:
by the way, the reese tech told me to not open the jaws to hitch up, leave arm in and the pin will do the work. Only open to unhook. dealer never showed me the. Thank you Reese
Just make sure you disengage the safety latch... Hmm... I wonder why that's the first thing I thought of when I read this
strokendiesel002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The tech is/was right, just flip the safety catch up and leave the lever arm in while hitching. It will automatically open and latch shut. Then all you do is flip the safety catch back over and lock it, hook the emergency brake cable, 7way cord and retract the landing jacks. Just make sure the trailer is low enough to make it slide up the hitch. If it is perfectly level, it is very hard to make it lock. I fought it for 5 minutes with it level and it never locked until I lowered the trailer about 1.5" and it locked the first time. Good Luck, it is a great hitch!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #17

Hooked up at storage t go caming and hooked up at camp to come home..both time first shot hit the mark. no issues at all. wife and I amazed and very happy. The joy is back in camping. By the way - My license plate is leaglly - GOCAMPNG, as registered with the Ministry of transportation

Tags
led pad